Thread: electrical question

Name: Jen
    Bikes: 01 929

Default electrical question

Hey guys, so I'm doing some stuff to my bike, and I really want to use the other two headlight plugs on my front end. But because I have the dual sport headlight I only have one light that is being used. CBR have the two plugs for low and one for high. Is there a way to reverse that? So that the one is on all the time and when I hit the high it turns on the two others? I'm not sure if how I'm explaining this makes sense.

Name: Eric

Default Re: electrical question

It would help if you could post a pict. of the back of your headlamp. Does it have three lamps? It sound like you are using one and want to use two additional. A pict. of your headlight connectors would help too.

I presume your harness has a connector for low a connector for high. That low is always on (US style) and high is only on when you throw the high beam switch.

Name: James
    Bikes: 06 Ninja 500R

Had to google, because i'm not entirely familiar with the 929. (good explanatory image: http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/Pho...02CBR929-2.jpg)

it sounds like what you have going is the one of the low beam plugs is powering a single light, low beam only. i don't see any reason you couldn't continue that, and wire the high beam plug to a relay to kick on whatever lights you want to wire up (and the electrical system will support).

high beam plug > relay > whatever lights > ground (i can visualize this better than i can explain it, apparently? ( had a drawing somewhere of the basic concept that i sketched related to something else... )

added the diagram; this was based on running a h4 low, and a separate h3 hi, powered off of relays and triggered via the stock switch. basically what you're looking for is the "hi" side of things with your existing high wiring to a relay, 12v from battery to the relay, and the relay feeding whatever lights you want to turn on as "high beams".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	29743
    Last edited by deathbug74; Feb 10th, 2015 at 03:08 AM.

Name: Jen
    Bikes: 01 929

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150210_072230.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	29744

If this helps! They are all h4 plugs and I currently have my headlight in the hi spot. I want to use the lows for something like the Trail Tech hid spots, is there a way to switch the polarity(??) On the switch itself so the hi spot is always on amd the lows only come on when the switch is pressed?

Name: Ray
    Bikes: 04 Ducati 749-R

I'm impressed with your wiring sketches, more knowledge than most. What do you do for a living?
    2Crn 7-14
    If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Im with street fanatics!! SF Boyz's Avatar

Name: Sonikkboom Performance
    Bikes: Closest one to the gate..

Easy..
    The rocker switch high or low use that plug, the remaining plug use that as the other low or high. You will have to tap in or change connector for specific applications. Diagrams don't do no good if people do not know how to read the schematic. If your new application has higher amperage don't be surprised in the future finding burnt wires. If your plugs have 3 terminals then you have dual filiment bulbs for high and low. If your still confused and need services you know who to contact.
    what do I do..build/repair/engine swap/sell aftermarket and factory parts/used parts/make custom decals/screen printing/ banners/business cards/promo pinback,magnets,mirrors buttons for all occasions/embroidery coming soon Insurance work welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Zmbs8mytoast View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150210_072230.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	29744

If this helps! They are all h4 plugs and I currently have my headlight in the hi spot. I want to use the lows for something like the Trail Tech hid spots, is there a way to switch the polarity(??) On the switch itself so the hi spot is always on amd the lows only come on when the switch is pressed?
    still having trouble visualizing exactly how the three bulbs are wired to behave. it sounds like when you switch to high, only the middle is lit, but on low, the outside two come on, yes?

It sounds like you could just wire the headlight you have to one of the existing low beam plugs (so its on when you're on the low side of the switch, and then wire the spots you want to add to the high beam plug.

As SF Boyz mentioned, if what you want to install is going to draw more current than stock, you probably want to (realy should) run the new lights through a relay. Second, what i've read (and seen) of HIDs, they take a minute or so to come up to brightness once you hit them, so maybe not the best to run for "on demand" lights. (Side note: most of the h4 HID i've seen either use a reflector or shift the bulb for "high beam" operation, so it's already up to temp).

I also wouldn't hesitate to use his services if I needed electrical work done.
    Last edited by deathbug74; Feb 10th, 2015 at 06:13 PM.

Oh, and weird it isnt letting me edit my previous post to add...

Quote Originally Posted by aaw749r View Post
    I'm impressed with your wiring sketches, more knowledge than most. What do you do for a living?

Not sure if you meant mine or his...I do customer service in a call center (accounts type stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by deathbug74 View Post
    Not sure if you meant mine or his...I do customer service in a call center (accounts type stuff).
    I was referring to the drawer of the sketches, Jen. I don't think I know too many guys named Jen
    2Crn 7-14
    If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

I was referring to the drawer of the sketches, Jen. I don't think I know too many guys named Jen
    Oh, gotcha.

Im with street fanatics!! SF Boyz's Avatar

Name: Sonikkboom Performance
    Bikes: Closest one to the gate..

Talking Re: electrical question

My middle names Jen ....
    what do I do..build/repair/engine swap/sell aftermarket and factory parts/used parts/make custom decals/screen printing/ banners/business cards/promo pinback,magnets,mirrors buttons for all occasions/embroidery coming soon Insurance work welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by SF Boyz View Post
    My middle names Jen ....
    How GAY is that?!
    2Crn 7-14

Name: Jan
    Bikes: Suzuki RG500, Yamaha XS650 Flat Tracker

he just designed the flux capacitor, which makes.....
    1968- "two stroke power cost only a fraction of what had to be spent to get the same from a four stroke"