Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonna have to get me a dirt bike.......

Fear & Loathing in Cali Chronic's Avatar

Name: Dave
    Bikes: '13 Aprilia Tuono, '12 BMW 1200 GS Adventure, & "02 Moto Guzzi "Scura"

Default Gonna have to get me a dirt bike.......

So, Poach has been gently pushing me to try some dirt stuff and, so, yesterday I decided to follow him up Big Creek rd / Bretz / Blue Canyon....or what ever that's called. Easy stuff for him and y'all that do dirt thing, but, me on the big GS and the fact I ain't done dirt riding before.........well, suffice to say, he was having a ball wheelie-ing and doing Rooster Tail spin-outs and I seemed to be just trying to hold on for dear life, but hey!!, it was kinda snot -slick in places and I didn't have knobbies

I've avoided getting into the dirt scene because of time constraints (seems I hardly got enough time for the street) , but dang!!, that sure looks fun.

What would be a good street legal MX type for an older coot lke me?? I may even look at new.

I see many things! I see plans within plans !

Name: Duane
    Bikes: ducati 750 monster

Default Re: Gonna have to get me a dirt bike.......

serious dual sport, ktm exc or husaberg

Name: Ray
    Bikes: 04 Ducati 749-R

KTM EXC 525

That is what I bought (am buying), what a hoot. I'll be able to complete the purchase next week.

the newer 530's consume oil (nothing wrong with it, it is just the way it is) but when you hold so little oil it could be a problem.

If you buy a non tagged bike and want to tag it I'll hook you up with the guy that is handeling the DMV paperwork for me.
    2Crn 7-14
    If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Name: Will
    Bikes: 2002 RM125 / 2007 Husqvarna TE510

I took a long break from the dirt scene once I started riding street and I can honesty say I had forgot what fun was on a motorcycle until I started back up on the dirt riding. As for a dual sport motorcycle, I really have no opinion towards which one you should get but i will say JonJon's KTM 530exc is a beast of a bike. On the trails and on the track. From what I've seen it's definitely capable of just about anything you throw at it. Also, as you probably seen first hand riding with Poach, the dirt riding will dramatically improve your street riding as well. Hell, I sometimes find my self purposely locking up the rear tire on my gixxer just to get the back end to slide out. I sure in hell would not be comfortable doing that without the mx riding.
    keep your head up, your heart strong and your mind set

What's a "non-tagged" bike??...Not street legal??

Yo sólo sé que no sé nada mrlopez's Avatar

Name: Sergio
    Bikes: 04 ZX10R, 00 WR400F & 02 CRF450 SM/DIRT

Quote Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
    What's a "non-tagged" bike??...Not street legal??
    Yup, to make it street legal, hurry up we might have to do a sumo ride again hopefully soon
    I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Hmmmmm??....http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-89007.html

That could be the ticket..

Yo sólo sé que no sé nada mrlopez's Avatar

Name: Sergio
    Bikes: 04 ZX10R, 00 WR400F & 02 CRF450 SM/DIRT

That looks awesome and "easiest to wheelie"
    I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Name: Will
    Bikes: 2002 RM125 / 2007 Husqvarna TE510

YUP!
    keep your head up, your heart strong and your mind set

I been snooping around the 'net and it seems the Husaberg is about the best......but, it's only "red stickered" ?? Which means what? Can only ride it in certain areas?? Or certain time of year??

The problem with this idea....... the cost'll be X2 since Jami will thinking that she will have to have one too!!

And, ofcourse, there's still the 'ole time constraint thing.

Anyone got any experience with the BMW G 450X ??.....http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-82228.html

Name: Ray
    Bikes: 04 Ducati 749-R

I been snooping around the 'net and it seems the Husaberg is about the best......but, it's only "red stickered" ?? Which means what? Can only ride it in certain areas?? Or certain time of year??

The problem with this idea....... the cost'll be X2 since Jami will thinking that she will have to have one too!!

They don't call the Husaberg a HusaBROKE for nuthin'. Just ask around.
    Dont forget to look at the Husquavarna.
    2Crn 7-14
    If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Name: Carl
    Bikes: Ducati Multistrada 1200 Sport, Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Wilsons have Husa's now in stock, and they have a plated model.........As light as the KTM with about 10 more HP or something.....THe newer ones are supposed to be built to last????

Name: bill
    Bikes: 06 ducati 999s; 00 ducati 996

husky's are great bikes... cost less than KTM's, more power than KTM's, weigh less than KTM's and are more reliable! and they are almost bomb proof when your lack of skills catches up to you! don't ask me how i know...
    speed is relative... if it feels fast to you, thats all that matters...

Name: Michael
    Bikes: 08 530 EXC-R | 04 KTM 950 Adventure | 86 TLR 200

Quote Originally Posted by SXV 550 View Post
    Wilsons have Husa's now in stock, and they have a plated model.........As light as the KTM with about 10 more HP or something.....THe newer ones are supposed to be built to last????
    Husaberg is hit and miss year to year. TR1200's 2005 Fe550e has been darn good reliability wise... But my 2003 was not reliable at all. This is not a "dualsport" I learned the hard way, it is a plated dirtbike - a distinction I am now coming to understand. I would say a 525 spans the gap of dualsport and plated dirtbike damned well, but a 530 falls more into the plated dirtbike category. I would say the BMW Xchallenge is a damn good dualsport but it has a huge fatal flaw... Dont know about its smaller cousin the 450 never had any seat time on one. Buyer beware for exotics (husaberg/husky/aprilla... and even KTM even though I wouldn't call it an exotic just pay attention to year)... Look at the manufacturers recommended maintainence intervals.

Oh ... and if you are under six foot tall the bergs may not be for you heh. Dern Sweeds are tall buggers. I could not flat foot my berg (6'0" tall) but TR1200 is around 5'10" so it can be done. Just keep yer feet on the pegs at all times
    Central California Dualsport Enthusiast
    Please don't feed the trolls
    http://www.facebook.com/montibank

Quote Originally Posted by ducbill996 View Post
    are more reliable!
    Hah... I'd love to see the data that lead to that leap of logic

Quote Originally Posted by montibank View Post
    Hah... I'd love to see the data that lead to that leap of logic
    how bout after a couple years of rough use, all i did to my husky was replace the timing chain tensioner and enjoy many miles of fun... how many times have you had your motor torn down in three years time?

i think thats nuff said...

Wink Re: Gonna have to get me a dirt bike.......

how bout after a couple years of rough use, all i did to my husky was replace the timing chain tensioner and enjoy many miles of fun... how many times have you had your motor torn down in three years time?

LMAO! Let the smack talking begin... Hardly a representative sample basing the experience of two bikes from two different riders, and might I add, under different use patterns (yours was a dedicated sumo was it not... most of my hours were spent on a non-cush hub)

But in your favor - I could not find another 530 owner that had gotten more miles/hours (68xx/183 respectively) out of a first build doing no maint. other than valve checks and oil changes religiously. The next closest I found was around 4k miles. There are a lot of variables in there you are overlooking. My bike got dumped damn near every time I take it in the dirt. Had yours ever touched down anything other than the occasional peg? A dirtbike running on its side waiting for its mildly dazed rider to regain conciousness and shut it down cant be healthy for it either.

You may be right - the husky may be better... But give it a few more years. The only reason the KTM is down now is the countershaft which I should have changed (but ignored it) with the last rebuild. The valves have 28x.x hours on them now and they havent budged since the break in period.

How many miles/hours did yer husky have on it when you sold it?
    Did you ever take it to pismo in the sand? Run it out in mojave in 95+ degree weather pushing it over 55 mph (and up to 85 mph indicated) offroad for sustained periods of time 250 miles in 2 days back to back without an oil change? I am not exactly kind to my toys.
    Last edited by montibank; Mar 20th, 2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: need to check our gps track for laughlin trip before i go bragging about how fast it fel like i was going

Oops didnt answer your question...

~11k miles motor apart twice... second time only dur to countershaft.. It is still in running condition though. Stupid countshaft... The 525s I hear double that like expectancy. The 08 is also a first year motor... Not sure about the husky.

LoL i knew it would go this way!
    husky sumo's are non cush as well so thats not a factor...
    mine had 8400 miles on it and was as strong as it was when it had 1000 miles on it... the only chronic failure(i don't know everything so there could be more) i can recall hearing about huskys is the clutch slave going out. which never happened to mine...
    yes a bike running on its side is a huge factor and you can't blame that on the bike. so i guess your opinion is KTM's are just as reliable as huskys? i've heard more stories about ktm's having issues and being torn down than huskys. that tells me ktm's are a bit needy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast