PDA

View Full Version : Please Educate The Ignorant

HamRDown
Nov 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM
:)

Okay, so relatively new to area and finally get the dirtbikes I've been promising the wife for a couple of months now.

Just picked her up a nice, used KTM SX105 this past weekend. i need to teach her to ride over the next two months while I save for mine. Yes, i know it's a red-sticker and i don't care as I am a 2-smoker guy, face it they are more fun.

Questions:

Where is a good place to take her around Bakersfield that's firm and flat to teach her? not rocky and hopefully limited traffic please. She will have gear head to toe, but I don't want to kill her just yet, i kind of like her. Starts/stops and all that jazz will obviously be the first order of business as her experience is only quads.

Red-stickers - I know most places in Cali you can only ride from Nov to April or something? Are there places that you can go all year round besides motocross tracks? Anyone have favorite places to ride? once she gets situated i will be looking for tighter trails to open desert stuff like jawbone.

Comments...thoughts...suggestions? :confused:

montibank
Nov 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hungry Valley SVRA is only 45 min down the road from you. Red stickers welcome this time of year I believe (call to verify). You must have a spark arrestor and be sound compliant - they check.

Fun to ride out there and plenty of easy stuff.

What kinda KTM you gonna get? :evilgrin

HamRDown
Nov 9th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hungry Valley SVRA is only 45 min down the road from you. Red stickers welcome this time of year I believe (call to verify). You must have a spark arrestor and be sound compliant - they check.

Fun to ride out there and plenty of easy stuff.

What kinda KTM you gonna get? :evilgrin

I am personally not going for a KTM in particular. Any 250-300 cc 2-stroke is fine with me, but I am hoping for a gasgas 300. Her bike is good to go for spark arrestor I think...it has a FMF for KTM pipe on the back, which the guy said had the spark arrestor in it. I will look to see if it has a screen.

Personally, I am not new to off-road'n, but I am new to it in CA. The amount of hoops has me thinking of just driving to Moab all the time.

montibank
Nov 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM
MOAB! I wanna get out there someday. If yer looking to split gas lemme know...

there was a plated 1998 KTM 360 (two stroke) for sale on craigslist in coarsegold not long ago for a reasonable price. Might still be floating around.

HamRDown
Nov 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
MOAB! I wanna get out there someday. If yer looking to split gas lemme know...

there was a plated 1998 KTM 360 (two stroke) for sale on craigslist in coarsegold not long ago for a reasonable price. Might still be floating around.

That's be a sweet biek, but I am currently trying to get a 4x4 to haul all this crap so that's my main focus.

Moab, my buddy lives in Grand Junction, so i will be spending TONs of time there when red-sticker season is over. I am sure we can work something out...:evilgrin0013:

nik
Nov 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I've heard Taft is a good place. I'm sure you can find some wide open space out there towards mericopa.

CRASH972
Nov 9th, 2010, 08:46 PM
mmmmmmmm Taft :zdrool:

Stuntrdr943
Nov 10th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I got family that lives in new cuyama right down the road from taft and i use to ride it allot as a kid. definitely good riding area.

HamRDown
Nov 10th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I've been through taft a plenty, and I've seen hords of bikes on trailers and toyhaulers driving through the place, but I just have no idea where they go. i work on Elk Hills and once in a great while we do a well on Buena Vista hills and i still don't know where everyone parks. I keep hearing about the playground, and I know where Honolulu Hills raceway is, but i still haven't seen everyone park and riding. :confused2: Perhaps I really am blind and deaf like my wife says... :p

More or less I don't want to be harassed by the man and have my wife feel like we are doing something illegal every time i take her somewhere to learn.

Thanks for the response thus far.

BlooDSMeaR
Nov 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I am personally not going for a KTM in particular. Any 250-300 cc 2-stroke is fine with me, but I am hoping for a gasgas 300. Her bike is good to go for spark arrestor I think...it has a FMF for KTM pipe on the back, which the guy said had the spark arrestor in it. I will look to see if it has a screen.

Personally, I am not new to off-road'n, but I am new to it in CA. The amount of hoops has me thinking of just driving to Moab all the time.

Welcome to the land of hoops... You will need to get used to them cause they will only get worse. I am 10 seconds from moving out of state.

dman250r
Nov 17th, 2010, 08:49 AM
There is a nice 2000(green sticker) gasgas 200 on CL for $2200. I'm thinking you should have gotten your wife a kx100 they are detuned and easier for begginers plus a lot of them are green stickered. And Not quite the kick of the ktm. Hungryvalley/gorman is a nice place to ride

HamRDown
Nov 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'm thinking you should have gotten your wife a kx100 they are detuned and easier for begginers plus a lot of them are green stickered. And Not quite the kick of the ktm.

:confused2: Thanks! that really answered my question. I am fully aware of what I bought for my wife thanks.

dman250r
Nov 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Did you read the rest? Hungry valley is your best bet wide open spaces. There was I place that I used to go to every once in awhile that was maybe 10 min. From bako called hart park but I heard a rumor that it was closed down. Anyoneelse on here know the details on this? Is it closed or open?

08zx10r
Nov 17th, 2010, 09:40 PM
hart park is ok mostly closed down but taft is ok pretty good to teach some one to ride hungry valley might have to many people might freak her out with people flying by her but all good have not been down to hart park in awhile so dont really how it is anymore

HamRDown
Nov 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Did you read the rest? Hungry valley is your best bet wide open spaces. There was I place that I used to go to every once in awhile that was maybe 10 min. From bako called hart park but I heard a rumor that it was closed down. Anyoneelse on here know the details on this? Is it closed or open?

yes thanks...I was just teasing ya mate...:pokeit:

HamRDown
Nov 18th, 2010, 08:55 AM
hart park is ok mostly closed down but taft is ok pretty good to teach some one to ride hungry valley might have to many people might freak her out with people flying by her but all good have not been down to hart park in awhile so dont really how it is anymore

That's exactly my thoughts on taking her to hungry valley, and why I was wondering where basically an empty lot without too many big rocks would be at...trees are ok...:evilgrin0013:

I do appreciate the suggests on where to go though. She's a civil engineer and has been on quads a number of times. It shouldn't take too long for her to get the hang of it...

I will be up looking at a truck in Clovis this weekend. Does CWS have a decent selection of dirtbike helmets? I got her everything else...just need a lid for her.