PDA

View Full Version : Needing to borrow neck brace

JonJon
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:54 AM
Howdy folks, I know this is really late notice, but if anyone has a Leatt or Alpinestars (or any make for that matter) Motocross neck brace, I'd be interested in borrowing or renting it from you for the night. Gonna be doing some flat tracking and I think I'd rather be safe than sorry in this situation.

Thanks

mrlopez
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
I got some Gorilla duck tape :evilgrin0013: I think it would work too Jk

up in smoke
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
I've heard a lot of negative reviews on them. I personally know of one occasion that I slammed into a wall at taft that if I was wearing one, it could have been a lot worse of a situation. It's all in what you like I suppose, but I don't like how restrictive they are.

Some people say they cause more harm than good. :rolleyes:
just spring for a leatt . i cant tell its on when im motoing.

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
:pokeit:

I've heard a lot of negative reviews on them. I personally know of one occasion that I slammed into a wall at taft that if I was wearing one, it could have been a lot worse of a situation. It's all in what you like I suppose, but I don't like how restrictive they are.

Some people say they cause more harm than good.
:rolleyes:

up in smoke
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/A-Message-From-David-Bailey,196/GuyB,64

JonJon
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Yea yea, I know, but this is flat track and I won't be needing to move my head around so much so I figured I'd try it out. And a lot of those quad guys told me the walls of the track aren't too forgiving if you slam into it head first. :weirdface:

JonJon
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Byron, that's a seriously eye-opening video, and who better to deliver it than someone like David Bailey. The reason I have a problem with them, is because I wrecked hard in taft about 9 months ago, and was put in the situation of being slammed head first into the side of one of those canyon walls, and the only thing that kept me able to get up and walk away from that, was being able to tuck my head as hard as I could to roll flat against the wall at about 3rd gear pinned, instead of just slamming like a dart into some granite. The neck brace prevents me from even being able to look down to my boots.

Now, the only question I have, is would it help me in that situation?

What does the goat think? http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880713&highlight=ricky+carmichael+neck+brace

up in smoke
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM
here ya go http://www.centralvalleyriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9411

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
a neck brace wouldn't of helped Jon that's for sure. Hope your feeling better bud.

JonJon
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
here ya go http://www.centralvalleyriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9411

Little bit late for that. :rolleyes:

up in smoke
Oct 4th, 2010, 02:53 PM
you broke yourself off riding a quad?

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM
you broke yourself off riding a quad?

Not trying to put you on blast Jon but man it was a nasty crash. For someone whos never raced a quad in his life, Jon sure was ripping it!!!!

poach
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM
WTF????

I thought you were up in Yosemite freezing your ass off?

Stay away from them quad thingies yo...they be dangerous....

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:23 PM
From my perspective it didn't even appear to be his fault but more of a "racing incident." I'd like to hear what happened from his eyes too.

poach
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'd like to hear what happened from his eyes too.

ground...sky...ground...sky...ground...sky....probably followed by those involuntary unnngh unnnnghh noises.

Hope you're ok bud...

VintageRider
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM
ground...sky...ground...sky...ground...sky....probably followed by those involuntary unnngh unnnnghh noises.

Hope you're ok bud...

:pound:

Me too Neighbor!

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
ground.....wall......ground

looked more like that

VintageRider
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
looked more like that

:doh:

poach
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Ugh...splatted the wall. Not good....

JonJon
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Well, I've just been laying low and doin the doctor thing lately. I'm doing good, just gonna be a long recovery process, and I can't even stress how upset I am that I'm missing this perfect dual sport weather.

Gonna keep it short and sweet cuz I only have 1 working hand, and the shoulder that's attached to that is busted. I started 6th, was 4th by turn one, slowly started picking guys off until I finally got around the guy in first with one lap to go, then he decided to stuff me into the wall coming out of turn 4. Will could probably tell you better what the wreck looked like, because I don't remember a bit of what happened, but the end result was 3 broken bones in my hand/forearm area on the left arm, and a broken clavical/seperated shoulder on my right side.

My cousin who was watching said it was one of the worst wrecks he's seen, and that I'm entirely lucky to only have the damages I do. Apparently the quad almost landed on me, and I almost got ran over by a few of the guys behind me.

All in all, it was a racing incident, and the only thing I'm upset about is that I ALMOST won. :pound:

Life goes on.. At least I have a cool story behind these busted bones. :D

JonJon
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Yea yea, I know, but this is flat track and I won't be needing to move my head around so much so I figured I'd try it out. And a lot of those quad guys told me the walls of the track aren't too forgiving if you slam into it head first. :weirdface:

^^This. :pound:

poach
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Well, I've just been laying low and doin the doctor thing lately. I'm doing good, just gonna be a long recovery process, and I can't even stress how upset I am that I'm missing this perfect dual sport weather.

Gonna keep it short and sweet cuz I only have 1 working hand, and the shoulder that's attached to that is busted. I started 6th, was 4th by turn one, slowly started picking guys off until I finally got around the guy in first with one lap to go, then he decided to stuff me into the wall coming out of turn 4. Will could probably tell you better what the wreck looked like, because I don't remember a bit of what happened, but the end result was 3 broken bones in my hand/forearm area on the left arm, and a broken clavical/seperated shoulder on my right side.

My cousin who was watching said it was one of the worst wrecks he's seen, and that I'm entirely lucky to only have the damages I do. Apparently the quad almost landed on me, and I almost got ran over by a few of the guys behind me.

All in all, it was a racing incident, and the only thing I'm upset about is that I ALMOST won. :pound:

Life goes on.. At least I have a cool story behind these busted bones. :D

Ah man that sucks. Not that you're busted up...but that you freakin' LOST!

I KEED!!!:D

Dang man, being busted up totally blows. Especially with all that sweet ego dirt up in the hills right now, and the perfect machine to take advantage of it. If there's anything I can do for ya just holler...seriously. But hey, look at the bright side...at least you went down doing something you love.:D

JonJon
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM
at least you went down doing something you love.:D

:word: It was one of the funnest things I've done in a long time.

Would I do it again knowing the risks? You can bet your asshat

poach
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:30 PM
lol...glad you're ok and still have your sense of humour intact. Call me if ya need help with anything.

Not the natty ice/game cube kinda help though.;)

JonJon
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:34 PM
lol...glad you're ok and still have your sense of humour intact. Call me if ya need help with anything.

Not the natty ice/game cube kinda help though.;)

The paramedics thought I was insane when I asked them to Morphine me up because I still had a pit-bike race left. :D

How bout Xbox and Bud Ice? ;)

poach
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
You sly devil you....

Kinda reminds me of the time I picked up a middle eastern crasher in T2 at wsir. Threw him and all his chit into the crash truck and headed to the pits. I asked him where he was pitted and got the 1000yd stare. I asked him what day it was and, after a slight pause, gave me the correct answer. So I figured he was ok and started toward the pit. The following is the next conversation that took place:

Him:<heavy middle eastern accent> I had dream bro! </heavy middle eastern ccent>

Me: Last night you had a dream you were gonna crash?

Him: No bro...I just had dream right now!

Me: ooooooo-k bro...you and me are heading to that nice white and orange van w/the blinky lights k?

:pound:

up in smoke
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM
that's to bad:( but quads rock!:thumbsup: :rolleyes:

JonJon
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM
that's to bad:( but quads rock!:thumbsup: :rolleyes:

:idk: It was offered to me, and I would never turn down an offer to race anything.

up in smoke
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:34 PM
what class did you race?

JonJon
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
what class did you race?

450 Novice. Was my first time ever racing a quad, or flat track for that matter. :laugh:

yoageallen
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Sorry to hear that. Heal up quick.

JonJon
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Found a video of the mini moto heat race. I'm on the red #43, my friend who owns the bikes is on the green #27, and my friends dad is the one with the half helmet at the start.

Shoulda just stuck with this. It was way more fun and half as dangerous. :pound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpdljh5Q7U4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpdljh5Q7U4

poach
Oct 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM
^^^Awesome!

Looks like the Mystery School...only angrier.:pound:

sPAnKy1600
Oct 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Looks like the Mystery School...only angrier.

:pound: ^^that made my morning!!!

poach
Oct 5th, 2010, 11:01 AM
This one'll make your week...

I raced at carruthers once too. I was 220lbs riding a bone stock xr100 racing against a bunch of 150 pounders on 120kits and 150kits. My power to weight ratio was pure fail. I'd charge as hard as I could through the corners only to be left standing on the exits. Finished DFL...not something I was used to . Oh yeah, and this was in front of my whole family.

The next morning I was pouring two glasses of milk for my kids at breakfast time, and I placed one glass of milk down in front of my son before placing my daughters glass in front to her.

Daughter: Why did you give me my milk last dad?

Me: Ummmm, huh?

Daughter: You know dad, LAST. Like you finished in your race...

I wasn't sure whether I should lmao, or strangle her on the spot.:pound:

sanford
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Wow, tradgedy at the nationals! Was it a TT or short track?

JonJon
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Wow, tradgedy at the nationals! Was it a TT or short track?

Short track. wish it was TT.

sanford
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:49 PM
So, turn four and then into the fence?

JonJon
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:54 PM
So, turn four and then into the fence?

Yep, comin outta 4.

sanford
Oct 5th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Oh brutal, right in front of the grandstand. Hope you heal fast. Thats a fun track, I've raced there many times, few things in life are more entertaining!

JonJon
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Oh brutal, right in front of the grandstand. Hope you heal fast. Thats a fun track, I've raced there many times, few things in life are more entertaining!

:word: It was fun while it lasted.

montibank
Oct 19th, 2010, 10:00 PM
:word: It was fun while it lasted.

How the hell did I miss this? Damn sorry man.
I had a banshee... Got hurt on it a few times and then I rode a bike. Shortly later I sold it.

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM
how's the recovery process going Jon?

JonJon
Oct 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
how's the recovery process going Jon?

Slowly, but surely. The shoulder is giving me problems, but only because I have to use it to compensate for the other arm being broken. Hoping to get some good news when i go back Nov 3rd for my check-up.

P.S. Casts SUCK! :willy_nilly: