PDA

View Full Version : Got a craving for some dirty fun...

L2fly
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM
... feel the urge to explore some mountain fire roads and trails!

But unfortunately, two bikes right now is not an option, I'm on a debt-reduction plan to pay off the truck & student loans ASAP, so one toy is more than I should have as it is!

The only way it could happen is if I sell Speedy & start looking at the dual-sports...

Any suggestion on dual-sports from our dirty crowd?

poach
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM
My ktm 530exc is a great bike...I like it a lot.

mrlopez
Sep 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Ill suggest a Suzuki drz400, lots od upgrade parts for it, you can always make it a sumo and go with us :D

Chronic
Sep 13th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Ohhh!! That would be a shame, DJ.....that Speedie is so you........

Besides, you can find some really cheap deals on dual sports........I sure hope you can find a way to have both.

JonJon
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
:word:

Ill suggest a Suzuki drz400, lots od upgrade parts for it, you can always make it a sumo and go with us :D

They already come Sumo'd out, she'd just have to get a dirt set.

Go to Wilsons and walk around the KTM section, I'm sure you'll fall in love.

montibank
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Here is a budget Dualsport for ya... Not sure how long it would last... But looks interesting if nothing else.

Dual sport, 1984 Kawa ninja 600 4 cylinder - $1375 (shingle springs)http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13992803&postcount=7259

mrlopez
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Here is a budget Dualsport for ya... Not sure how long it would last... But looks interesting if nothing else.

Uhmm wonder how that thing feels with that big 600cc :confused2:

montibank
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Uhmm wonder how that thing feels with that big 600cc :confused2:

Like a turd im sure. But it was a 600 single before. So not much different.:evilgrin0013:

speedjunkie
Sep 13th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Ur welcome to borrow my dirt bike. Have to truck it to the riding spot but i dont mind if u wanna feel out a dirt bike

L2fly
Sep 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM

I've been eye-balling some of these... you see them a lot on craigslist, for reasonable prices! The KTMs, on the other hand, are a bit pricey, but would definitely be the 'dream machine'... much lower in weight than the DRZ.

L2fly
Sep 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Ur welcome to borrow my dirt bike. Have to truck it to the riding spot but i dont mind if u wanna feel out a dirt bike

Thanks for the offer! But I've ridden dirt bikes quite a bit, sold my YZ250F just last year after moving here because all the riding spots were so far away, and MX was getting too hard on the body... but to have a dirt-cycle plated, that just sounds too cool! :)

JonJon
Sep 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM
but to have a dirt-cycle plated, that just sounds too cool! :)

:word: You thought it was easy to rack up miles on a street bike? pfft..

L2fly
Sep 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Ohhh!! That would be a shame, DJ.....that Speedie is so you........

Besides, you can find some really cheap deals on dual sports........I sure hope you can find a way to have both.

I know! :( But, as you know well, its not just the initial price of a bike... for a second street bike, you'd pay a second set of registration fees, need more insurance, and lets not forget, bikes EAT! They eat gas, tires, chains & sprockets, brake pads, oil, and assorted other fluids...

As tempting as it is, I'm more tempted by my master plan, to have the truck paid off in 10 more months, then get the student loan beaten down over 5 yrs, instead of 30... and then I'll be able to buy whatever I want, & travel where ever I want, with CASH! :) (Dave Ramsey is my new hero!!)

But I will allow myself one toy at a time... can't be all work & no play, after all... ;)

poach
Sep 14th, 2010, 01:53 PM
:word: You thought it was easy to rack up miles on a street bike? pfft..

Don't forget those oil changes and keep a real good eye on the sight glass. These things only hold 600ml. Things can go south in a hurry oil-wise.

this has been a public service announcement;)

up in smoke
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I've been eye-balling some of these... you see them a lot on craigslist, for reasonable prices! The KTMs, on the other hand, are a bit pricey, but would definitely be the 'dream machine'... much lower in weight than the DRZ.

the drz are fat slow pigs. ask calkidd he tested out a dirt only model and was not impressed.

Quino
Sep 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
the drz are fat slow pigs. ask calkidd he tested out a dirt only model and was not impressed.

I don't know about "slow". My buddy Jeremy (Supermoto21) had a drz400 and he would smoke on that thing. Of course we are talking street. Can't speak on how it does on the dirt.

L2fly
Sep 15th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I don't know about "slow". My buddy Jeremy (Supermoto21) had a drz400 and he would smoke on that thing. Of course we are talking street. Can't speak on how it does on the dirt.

I think anything having to do with motorcycles is 90% rider, 10% bike... ;)

mrlopez
Sep 15th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Uhmm I don't know about that 90-10!! But my 400 does pretty good on the street

up in smoke
Sep 15th, 2010, 10:07 AM

better make that 10% count. you will give up alot in the dirt with how much wight is on a drz. dry weight on a drz is 291. my wr is 178 no gas and i feel every lb of it in the dirt. your 250 had a dry weight of 205 and has about the same hp as a stock drz400s.

L2fly
Sep 15th, 2010, 02:36 PM
better make that 10% count. you will give up alot in the dirt with how much wight is on a drz. dry weight on a drz is 291. my wr is 178 no gas and i feel every lb of it in the dirt. your 250 had a dry weight of 205 and has about the same hp as a stock drz400s.

I'm assuming you meant 278 for the WR... yeah, I've ridden bigger bikes at the MX track, and the weight is a big PITA... also makes it harder for more intense off-road riding... I'm really thinking more of fire roads, MAYBE double-track trails sometimes, not so much body bruising single-track... anything with e-start is going to be up there, I think the KTMs are the lightest, but also most expensive... and I'm wondering if the price difference is worth the 40lbs difference for what I'm looking to get out of it...

:popcorn:

mrlopez
Sep 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'm assuming you meant 278 for the WR... yeah, I've ridden bigger bikes at the MX track, and the weight is a big PITA... also makes it harder for more intense off-road riding... I'm really thinking more of fire roads, MAYBE double-track trails sometimes, not so much body bruising single-track... anything with e-start is going to be up there, I think the KTMs are the lightest, but also most expensive... and I'm wondering if the price difference is worth the 40lbs difference for what I'm looking to get out of it...

IMO 40lbs it's not going to make a big difference just saying

JonJon
Sep 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM
IMO 40lbs it's not going to make a big difference just saying

:pound: 40 lbs in the dirt is like 140 lbs on the street.

up in smoke
Sep 15th, 2010, 02:54 PM

your not only paying for less weight your paying for much better suspension and more power. buddy has a husky 510 . lots of power and its FI. i think they are cheaper than the ktms.

just spoon on some knobs an ride the triumph. it would probably handle the same as a drz plus it would have more power.

mrlopez
Sep 15th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah I think Tom Cruise did the same thing on mission impossible

L2fly
Sep 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
your not only paying for less weight your paying for much better suspension and more power. buddy has a husky 510 . lots of power and its FI. i think they are cheaper than the ktms.

Also higher maintenance, I haven't heard great things about the longevity of the KTMs, aka ATMs... of course, everyone knows someone who has had a problem with everything... but I've heard amazing things about the bomb-proof DRZs... will have to research the Huskys. How has your buddy's been for him, re: reliability?

just spoon on some knobs an ride the triumph. it would probably handle the same as a drz plus it would have more power.

:pound: Might have to try that! I've taken it on some fire-roads before, and it doesn't handle half bad! ;)

SXV 550
Sep 15th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Also higher maintenance, I haven't heard great things about the longevity of the KTMs, aka ATMs... of course, everyone knows someone who has had a problem with everything... but I've heard amazing things about the bomb-proof DRZs... will have to research the Huskys. How has your buddy's been for him, re: reliability?

:pound: Might have to try that! I've taken it on some fire-roads before, and it doesn't handle half bad! ;)

Just remember it is all a compromise.......first decide what is going to be important to you the next couple of years! All these light dirt bikes best in dirt BUT although will ride on street, are you thinking of touring like to Vancouver and places like that.........Won't be good on dirtbike/Dual sport......Except the KLR but it is as heavy as your Speedie! although day rides like you did locally for a couple hundred miles DS will be fine......But for packing gear for a week to Colorado or such only you can decide your priorities.....Personally I am with Chronic. Keep the triple and get a good used DS for your needs and have both.......You have to live NOW girl, you will ALWAYS have bills believe me so why limit yourself still young and healthy?? If all you want to do is ride the fireroads and just day trips then maybe a DS will fit the need.............And you are correct about the KTM, WR, Husky, the maintenance issues are way more than a street bike.......You don't put 10-20 thousand miles on them without building top end, valves etc.......so correct in your thinking there.........DRZ is bullet proof, watercooled and except for being a little heavy a good bike.......wether it fits your dirt need, only you decide? That is why i have so many bikes......NO one fits all your riding styles.......It is only you who can decide what to give up, to get something else if only one bike is all you really can deal with????? Good Luck in whatever you decide.....No matter what it is, you will still yearn for the other.....

montibank
Sep 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM
But they are tall... Unless you are 6' ish it may be a little uncomfortable.

L2fly
Sep 15th, 2010, 07:41 PM
But they are tall... Unless you are 6' ish it may be a little uncomfortable.

Now that is something I don't have to worry about... at 5'10" with a 34 inch inseam, I've never met a bike I couldn't ride! :D

poach
Sep 15th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Dj can flatfoot my bike...guaranteed. But I don't think she's leaning toward a 530exc

L2fly
Sep 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM
All these light dirt bikes best in dirt BUT although will ride on street, are you thinking of touring like to Vancouver and places like that.........Won't be good on dirtbike/Dual sport......Except the KLR but it is as heavy as your Speedie! although day rides like you did locally for a couple hundred miles DS will be fine......But for packing gear for a week to Colorado or such only you can decide your priorities.....

I think my long-distance tours are going to be few & far between in the future.... got a good thing going with a great guy. :D Who, unfortunately, doesn't ride. :o So I suspect next time I get the urge to go somewhere cool, it'll be in the truck... don't want to leave him behind!

You have to live NOW girl, you will ALWAYS have bills believe me so why limit yourself still young and healthy??

I've decided I don't believe that anymore... :D I really believe I can get out of debt, (with everything but the mortgage, although I should have 20% equity in it and be able to stop paying PMI) in 7 yrs... financial freedom!!

If all you want to do is ride the fireroads and just day trips then maybe a DS will fit the need.............

That's exactly what I was thinking of...

And you are correct about the KTM, WR, Husky, the maintenance issues are way more than a street bike.......You don't put 10-20 thousand miles on them without building top end, valves etc.......so correct in your thinking there.........DRZ is bullet proof, watercooled and except for being a little heavy a good bike.......wether it fits your dirt need, only you decide? That is why i have so many bikes......NO one fits all your riding styles.......It is only you who can decide what to give up, to get something else if only one bike is all you really can deal with????? Good Luck in whatever you decide.....No matter what it is, you will still yearn for the other.....

Great advice, thanks, Carl!

Of course, before I do anything, I'd have to sell speedy first... that will be hard to do, both emotionally, and I can't imagine the market for a Pink 995 Speed Triple is very big!

SXV 550
Sep 15th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Dj can flatfoot my bike...guaranteed. But I don't think she's leaning toward a 530exc

Yeah but it was lowered, 2-3 inches!!!

SXV 550
Sep 15th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Great advice, thanks, Carl!

You are welcome......Good luck with what ever you do, and with your Guy.....I hope it all works out well for you.:)

tr1200
Sep 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I have 3 dual sports in the barn now. A 2005 Husaberg FE550, weighs under 300lbs. with my 4-gal desert tank full, almost 60hp at the tire, full WP suspension and Brembo brakes. Also a DR650 and a DRZ400S. Of the 3, if I had to narrow down to 1, it'd be the DRZ. Just where I'm at in life now, but tired of wrenching on stuff and the DRZ is a good compromise.

However- that said, I'd not take either Suzuki on the Rubicon or Dusy-Ershim. That kicked my ass on the Berg! Like Carl said- every bike is a compromise. FWIW, the Berg has been very reliable, but not a great street ride. 2005 with many hours on the original motor- and Montibank can attest to the fact it's never been pampered, but 30 miles of tarmac on it starts to wear down my nerves. And I change oil, filter, and adjust valve clearance EVERY ride. I'm sure KTM (who makes Husaberg) and Husqvarna would be similar.

Test-ride all you can before you decide.

Cheers-
Tom

poach
Sep 16th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Yeah but it was lowered, 2-3 inches!!!

Going back to stock ride height this winter. The low slung thing is great for the street, but I'm beating the heck out of it on the more challenging dirt portions.

mrlopez
Sep 16th, 2010, 11:28 AM
How about this DJ
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346404

L2fly
Sep 16th, 2010, 11:43 AM
How about this DJ
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346404

Looks like a good deal, but I need a plated bike... takes to far to get to legal riding areas around here, and isn't worth the gas for the truck for just a day trip, IMHO... which is why I sold my 250f, I never rode it anymore

mrlopez
Sep 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Looks like a good deal, but I need a plated bike... takes to far to get to legal riding areas around here, and isn't worth the gas for the truck for just a day trip, IMHO... which is why I sold my 250f, I never rode it anymore

Oh that's right forgot about the plated it thing

Don Hopkirk
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:58 PM
DJ, I think if you are planning on just riding dirt roads and the occasional trails the DRZ/KLX 400 is a great bike. I get about 50 miles to the gallon, the registration is about $90.00 a year. I just have liability insurance so that is inexpensive. Yes the bike is a little heavy but I don't jump things with it. Handles fine on the street. I paid about $3,500 for mine in 2004 (2003 model) with 1,200 miles on it. It has been a very dependable bike. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Don Hopkirk

L2fly
Sep 17th, 2010, 11:20 AM
http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1957527153.html

Wow, an '06, with only 1000 miles... $3600

L2fly
Sep 17th, 2010, 11:22 AM
DJ, I think if you are planning on just riding dirt roads and the occasional trails the DRZ/KLX 400 is a great bike. I get about 50 miles to the gallon, the registration is about $90.00 a year. I just have liability insurance so that is inexpensive. Yes the bike is a little heavy but I don't jump things with it. Handles fine on the street. I paid about $3,500 for mine in 2004 (2003 model) with 1,200 miles on it. It has been a very dependable bike. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Don Hopkirk

More good points I hadn't thought of... much cheaper registration & insurance, and better gas mileage!

SXV 550
Sep 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM
http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1957527153.html

Wow, an '06, with only 1000 miles... $3600

This sounds like what you want.......Better grab it!! Quick:evilgrin0013:

mrlopez
Sep 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM
This sounds like what you want.......Better grab it!! Quick:evilgrin0013:

Hey Carl how much you think
I could get for my WR? I need one with more hp and electric start :D

SXV 550
Sep 17th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hey Carl how much you think
I could get for my WR? I need one with more hp and electric start :D

I don't know Sergio? What year is it? Look at KBB for an idea but yours has been RIDDEN and it SHOWS!!! :D The only thing like that with good horsepower is like my former Aprilia SXV 550......If they want to run 100 you are good to go.....in twisties......not fun on straight roads......But a lot of maintenance as all those type bikes have.......Anything you have it pinned all day, will require some work/costs to keep it going.......

mrlopez
Sep 17th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I don't know Sergio? What year is it? Look at KBB for an idea but yours has been RIDDEN and it SHOWS!!! :D The only thing like that with good horsepower is like my former Aprilia SXV 550......If they want to run 100 you are good to go.....in twisties......not fun on straight roads......But a lot of maintenance as all those type bikes have.......Anything you have it pinned all day, will require some work/costs to keep it going.......

Oh it's just a few sratches :rolleyes: KBB only show for my dirt bike but since this is plated and a sumo kit on it it should be worth alot more :)

montibank
Sep 17th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Oh it's just a few sratches :rolleyes: KBB only show for my dirt bike but since this is plated and a sumo kit on it it should be worth alot more :)

Kbb sucks for accurate bike pricing... Use (one sec gotta look it up...)

montibank
Sep 17th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Kbb sucks for accurate bike pricing... Use (one sec gotta look it up...)

NADA pricing... That plate alone is worth a grand.

SXV 550
Sep 17th, 2010, 09:41 PM

Bottom line, anything is only worth what you can get for it.....Plated surely is worth more........But I have NO Idea what it is worth........

freeriders98
Oct 26th, 2010, 04:23 PM
hopes its ok to bring this back to life. But I read through this and I am looking to do somehting similar. But what can you plate in Cali? I was looking on thumper talk and it was saying after 2004 it was basically nothing, except for 2007 + KTM exc's

And for some of you guys riding the KTM's and DRZ's how do they do on HWY? I need to be able to ride to work ever day. 15 miles down the 99. I am wondering about effects on the moto and what not.

JonJon
Oct 26th, 2010, 05:07 PM
hopes its ok to bring this back to life. But I read through this and I am looking to do somehting similar. But what can you plate in Cali? I was looking on thumper talk and it was saying after 2004 it was basically nothing, except for 2007 + KTM exc's

And for some of you guys riding the KTM's and DRZ's how do they do on HWY? I need to be able to ride to work ever day. 15 miles down the 99. I am wondering about effects on the moto and what not.

Good luck plating anything that's a dirtbike, welcome to California. :p

As for the KTM's, I love the little bit I have owned mine (and been able to ride :o). I'd be lying if I said it wasn't my favorite bike I've ever ridden. Montibank I believe used to put serious miles on his 530 exc, he would be the guy to talk to on commuting with one.

mrlopez
Oct 26th, 2010, 05:19 PM
My WR400 it's usually my every day ride :D

freeriders98
Oct 26th, 2010, 05:43 PM
How does your WR do on the HWY? I only took mine on the HWY once, seemed like she was reving pretty high, but I had stock gearing. There is a YZ426 on CL thats plated that I have been wondering about.

If someone has it plated will I be able to keep it plated?

mrlopez
Oct 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM
How does your WR do on the HWY? I only took mine on the HWY once, seemed like she was reving pretty high, but I had stock gearing. There is a YZ426 on CL thats plated that I have been wondering about.

If someone has it plated will I be able to keep it plated?

Yes stock gearing it's to high for higway I change mine but also put some cbrf3 wheels and does ok on short periods of highway but up in the twisties it does awesome
Yeah so that one on cl if you can bring it down on price would be a good decent deal

freeriders98
Oct 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Could I register it though? I am worried when I go in they'd say nope!!!

mrlopez
Oct 26th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Could I register it though? I am worried when I go in they'd say nope!!!

You might be ok if it been register for a few years

montibank
Oct 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM
You might be ok if it been register for a few years

530 = bad for commute

The engine will last approx. 4800~6800 miles to that abuse. I have been keeping tabs on mine and a few others with em now. Cost to rebuild mine at 68xx miles approx. $1800 and my brother in law did all the labor for free. This did not include regular maint. The oil is $80/gal and you will be changing it every 15 hours if you care about your ride.

If you have a lot of money burning a hole in yer pocket it will be the most fun commuter you ever own. Law abiding citizen to hoolagan back to law abiding citizen in 0.5 second!

~

Michael

JonJon
Oct 28th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Law abiding citizen to hoolagan back to law abiding citizen in 0.5 second!

:evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013:

mrlopez
Oct 28th, 2010, 01:53 PM
530 = bad for commute

The engine will last approx. 4800~6800 miles to that abuse. I have been keeping tabs on mine and a few others with em now. Cost to rebuild mine at 68xx miles approx. $1800 and my brother in law did all the labor for free. This did not include regular maint. The oil is $80/gal and you will be changing it every 15 hours if you care about your ride.

If you have a lot of money burning a hole in yer pocket it will be the most fun commuter you ever own. Law abiding citizen to hoolagan back to law abiding citizen in 0.5 second!

~

Michael
Get a Yamaha only 400cc and it keeps with your 530 :evilgrin0013: payback lol

JonJon
Oct 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Get a Yamaha only 400cc and it keeps with your 530 :evilgrin0013: payback lol

Maybe in tight single track stuff. I guarantee I'd still be grabbing gears on the 530 while you're bouncing off the rev limiter in a straight line battle royal! :p

mrlopez
Oct 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Maybe in tight single track stuff. I guarantee I'd still be grabbing gears on the 530 while you're bouncing off the rev limiter in a straight line battle royal! :p

Uhmm my speedo was saying 100mph (vector and pretty acurate) and I was right behind him :D

freeriders98
Oct 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah I am thinking a KTM is a little rich for my blood!!!