PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a quad... where to ride?

mk2mike
Sep 12th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I'm down in Hanford but looking for somewhere closer then pismo to go ride. It's a 05' Banshee with some work. Red tagged, so curious on to where I can ride around here.

I've just be staring at it in my garage not knowing what to do with it.

Handyman
Sep 12th, 2010, 04:58 PM
legally...no where...I'm in the same boat...I've got 2 banshee's and the only place to ride is Pismo...well the closest legal place...

mk2mike
Sep 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Well that's no fun then... I remember back awhile ago when you can ride off Jackson Ave and Hwy 41, just south of 198.

Want to head out to pismo but worried It wont be much fun w/o paddles

Handyman
Sep 12th, 2010, 05:37 PM
then there was a spot out off of 22nd street next to the river but then someone got decapitated by a barbed wire fence when he was out by himself so they shut that area down with a quickness...I've heard of another place north of hanford off of excelsior but never been there...

mk2mike
Sep 12th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah I know a few people ride off over there near the river.... I'll have to ask around. Until then just have to clean the bike up

svbrady
Sep 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM
u can ride miami trails,hose basin,bald mountain,,lots of the 4x4 trails.top of beasore rd all kinds of trails,,,red sticker got to wait till oct 1..i would wait till deer season ends to,, might piss off some dudes with guns..good luck..be safe

FDA
Sep 12th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I'm in Hanford too, there is a place about 5 miles south of 198 off of 14th, I go out there alot, never seen any kind of cops. On the weekends there is usually alot of folks there.

mk2mike
Sep 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM
yeah my buddy told me about that place off 14 1/2, might have to check it out.

I want to head up to the mountains for sure though soon and do some trail riding. Problem is I have two jettas, no truck. Looks like I will be picking up a trailer soon.

CrAsH
Sep 12th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Woodword park ftw! Let's piss off some more cops

Flip
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I heard there is some good spots in huron

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
you still have time! Sell it for a dirt bike! :D

Handyman
Sep 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
The hills out by avenal is a pretty good place...no one will bother your **** and has trails and such...Rode out there once and was an alright place to ride...

mk2mike
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I'm going to head out to Pismo on saturday and give it a go. Still debating on picking up some paddles or not. Never been out there, so don't really know what to expect.

This bike puts out some decent power, so I have a feeling I should get some paddles.

JonJon
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I'm going to head out to Pismo on saturday and give it a go. Still debating on picking up some paddles or not. Never been out there, so don't really know what to expect.

If you can afford it, pick up a set of paddles. If nothing else, just get the rears. Trust me, if you have knobby rear tires out there you won't have as much fun. See Matt or Anthony at CWS and tell them to hook you up with a set of ITP's. They come mounted, and they are some of the best, most affordable around.

Flip
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I have some skat trak 6 paddle extremes for sale. Pm me if ur interested

Flip
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Dnt get itp's they dnt have much traction and they are so heavy

mk2mike
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I have some skat trak 6 paddle extremes for sale. Pm me if ur interested

PM sent. I definitely don't want to go out there just to find out it sucks. My knobby tires are a little bald as well.

Handyman
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM
knobbies and sand don't mix....you'll be ok down by the water where it's packed but in the soft crap....no way....

Flip
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Yea..no paddles at the dunes equals no fun. The new Maxxis razor blades are good paddles too

Matt Fisher
Sep 15th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'm in Hanford too, there is a place about 5 miles south of 198 off of 14th, I go out there alot, never seen any kind of cops. On the weekends there is usually alot of folks there.

Unless you or somone else out there is acting like an idiot, you won't likely find cops out there. I've talked to the owner a few times, she'll stop by every now and then.

Don't pull in or park on the East side, and stay away from the North East corner of the property, there's a recluse lady named Robin that runs a dog rescue facility. If you disturb her, the property owner will kick you out. No fires allowed, and even though there have been plenty of a-holes that leave trash make sure you don't.

poach
Sep 15th, 2010, 10:17 AM
The hills out by avenal is a pretty good place...no one will bother your **** and has trails and such...Rode out there once and was an alright place to ride...

Just off of Jayne and I-5. That's a pretty decent spot if you don't want to drive far. Just be alert...lots of old oil drilling lines and such...skewer your carcass with a quickness...

SMOOTHFOOL
Sep 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Make sure wherever you ride you have a spark arrestor. If we all ride and play by the rules hopefully we can keep a positive image and prevent more riding areas from being shut down. Always be courteous and clean up after yourself. Also if you need paddles I have a used set with ITP wheels front and rear with Maxxis roosters as the rear paddles and ITP sandstars for the fronts. Have no use for them so PM me and let me know what your budget is.

mk2mike
Sep 15th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I want to go swing out down 14th ave to check it out. Just to see how it is.

Matt Fisher
Sep 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM
It's at the far south end of 14 1/2.
Here's the lat/long 36.139706,-119.715005

mk2mike
Sep 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Awesome! i'll check it out. May go take a ride out that way today to see it

I see where it is now. It's literally right across the street where we used to race back in the day

Matt Fisher
Sep 16th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Just off of Jayne and I-5. That's a pretty decent spot if you don't want to drive far. Just be alert...lots of old oil drilling lines and such...skewer your carcass with a quickness...

How long has it been since you've been out to those oil fields?

I rode there for a couple years and then that gas crunch hit about 2-3 years ago; when we were seeing $4.00 a gallon. I headed out there to ride and discovered that the abandoned oil fields with the old fence were now functioning oil fields with a new fence around it. Not willing to cut the fence, and not interested in disturbing guys at work I turned around and went home. Haven't been back since.

Sucks, since there were some excellent hill climbs out there.

Mr J Himself
Sep 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM
It's at the far south end of 14 1/2.
Here's the lat/long 36.139706,-119.715005

That place is a dusty whooped out mess.....its better if you wait till it rains, then it aint so bad. Take your Banshee too the Desert!

mk2mike
Sep 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Got back from pismo. I think I found my new obession. I love it out there. It was so dead. Which probably made a good first time going out.

I can see how people get hurt though. You think everything is fine and flat. Next thing you know it drops down 60 feet.

Didn't have paddles on my banshee, but it made it up everything no problem. Sure I would have way more fun with them though.

mk2mike
Sep 19th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Here is my piece.

I need some new tires up front and some nerf bars for sure, oh and the p.o removed the front brakes... :mad:

Mr J Himself
Sep 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM
I have some brand new Holeshot mx tires for sale. Pm if interested

poach
Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:01 AM
How long has it been since you've been out to those oil fields?

I rode there for a couple years and then that gas crunch hit about 2-3 years ago; when we were seeing $4.00 a gallon. I headed out there to ride and discovered that the abandoned oil fields with the old fence were now functioning oil fields with a new fence around it. Not willing to cut the fence, and not interested in disturbing guys at work I turned around and went home. Haven't been back since.

Sucks, since there were some excellent hill climbs out there.

Actually, it's been about 2-3yrs. There's some good stuff out there for sure, but the risk factor re all the sketchy obstacles and the vast quantity of morons who ride out there kinda kept me away.

Plus the last time I was out there, the sheriff's dept swarmed the place. The helo was out there too telling everyone to gtfo over the loud speaker...:pound:

Mr J Himself
Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
+1 i dont go out there either for the same reason. It was an awesome spot while it lasted.....go to Gorman or Miami instead

08zx10r
Nov 17th, 2010, 09:51 PM
i heard there is a place off kansas and i think 16 not sure but i can check

08zx10r
Nov 17th, 2010, 09:56 PM
oops my bad everyone is already talking about it 14 1/2