PDA

View Full Version : dirt riding

hipmatt
Sep 7th, 2010, 08:11 PM
So im really new to riding in the dirt on a motorcycle. I have done the quad thing for a while had a blaster but sold it. so im trying my new Kawasaki and im loving it. There are a couple things im kinda confused about. i was trying to make a turn and the bike slipped out from under me. I wasn't going that fast. i see the pros do it all easy. maybe i can get a couple tips?

FDA
Sep 7th, 2010, 09:53 PM
So im really new to riding in the dirt on a motorcycle. I have done the quad thing for a while had a blaster but sold it. so im trying my new Kawasaki and im loving it. There are a couple things im kinda confused about. i was trying to make a turn and the bike slipped out from under me. I wasn't going that fast. i see the pros do it all easy. maybe i can get a couple tips?

Its all about body weight placement. For starting out, try and keep your body weight centered over the tires. Doing this will make it the easiest for the tires to keep traction. Dirt is a totally different animal than the road, just keep practicing and riding alot and don't be afraid to go down, its gonna happen!

Mr J Himself
Sep 7th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Throttle control, overall balance, and practice practice practice. Just just lean into a turn and give it all it has...

....a klx 250 isnt the best bike to be turning like a motocross bike either. They are top heavy and porkers

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM
stand up, weigh the out side peg, steer with you're rear and counter steer with the front while keeping your body position forward.

but really, with dirt riding you just gota go out and practice. You're going to drop the bike so maybe get another dirt bike besides you're commuter.

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM
don't be afraid to go down, its gonna happen!

+ 1
Most of the time you get right back up too!

hipmatt
Sep 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
thank you guys so much ill try it!:D
and ill look around for something i can practice with.
it is a really nice bike i don't want to ding it up.

CBR600RIDA
Sep 8th, 2010, 09:51 AM

its only a matter of time before the bike meets the dirt.

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM

here you go
http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1863687223.html

montibank
Sep 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM

+1

montibank
Sep 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
stand up, weigh the out side peg, steer with you're rear and counter steer with the front while keeping your body position forward.

Ya what he said. Damn I learned by doing... Don't know what I am doing to stay up most of the time. To try and explain it in words ... Not sure I could.

CBR600RIDA
Sep 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Ya what he said. Damn I learned by doing... Don't know what I am doing to stay up most of the time. To try and explain it in words ... Not sure I could.

when in doubt gas it out... usually works

mrlopez
Sep 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM

or the pavement :evilgrin0013:

PapaBear
Sep 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
We should get a dirt ride going

montibank
Sep 8th, 2010, 07:01 PM
when in doubt gas it out... usually works

Wanted to say that ... but there is the occasion where that doesnt work. Throttle here doesnt really work... He is already screwed at this point.

LOL check out 1:19.... My freind ben with his "Oh ****" face on ... GREAT!

http://vimeo.com/14809214

mrlopez
Sep 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Wanted to say that ... but there is the occasion where that doesnt work. Throttle here doesnt really work... He is already screwed at this point.

agree to much gas can make your tire spin and slide cough cough santa cruz fall :D

up in smoke
Sep 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM

standing up would have help alot in that situation.

svbrady
Sep 8th, 2010, 08:15 PM
We should get a dirt ride going

2nd that,, trail ride would be nice...anyone for saturday?

Mr J Himself
Sep 9th, 2010, 01:04 AM

Where at Miami?

mrlopez
Sep 9th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Darn wish I could this weekend :(

poach
Sep 9th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Poor Ben...lol

Those front end deflections can sure get ya upside down in a hurry(damhik). The best strategy against that situation is line selection imo.

I wanna go riding with y'all.....

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 9th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I need to get a damn spark arrestor already. Trail riding looks like a blast.

PotentialScat
Sep 9th, 2010, 04:20 PM
The best strategy against that situation is line selection imo.

what he said.

Just didn't see the root until it was right in front of me. I'm blaming it on the low sun angle and fatigue. Might have pulled it off but at moment the front went over the root, another piece of the same root hit the right foot peg ... game over, as they say.

I think if I'd taken the same line standing up I would've just flew further as it was the peg hitting that really fubared things ... or I may have seen the root and changed my line. 3 inches to the left and it would've been a none issue.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/998376186_MuSp5-L.jpg

The camera may or may not have been a factor. :rolleyes:

svbrady
Sep 9th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Where at Miami?

like to try those whiskey trails u ever been ther? or mabe shuteye

PapaBear
Sep 9th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Red sticker here

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 9th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hey Brady, You still wana fabricate my silencer with a metal screen?

PapaBear
Sep 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Let go out to running horse

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 9th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Let go out to running horse

next week I'll be back up n running, better than ever! Will hit you up when I head out.

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 9th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Red sticker here

Now this isnt first hand but from what ive "heard", the rangers are more concerned about bikes being equipped with spark arrestors than worrying about red stickered bikes. This could be very wrong though.

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 9th, 2010, 07:41 PM
for Brady

svbrady
Sep 9th, 2010, 07:58 PM
guess 1 more month for the red stickers,,,, cali is such a communist state...r we all :sleep:

PapaBear
Sep 9th, 2010, 10:04 PM
next week I'll be back up n running, better than ever! Will hit you up when I head out.

Cool.....:D

Mr J Himself
Sep 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM
sept 1st should be ok for red sticker...

montibank
Sep 11th, 2010, 10:35 AM
sept 1st should be ok for red sticker...

Depends on location... As weird as that seems. As if the whole thing wasn't difficult to understand anyway.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007%20carb%20revised%20riding%20seasons.pdf

Good luck deciphering it, and cross your fingers that you don't wander across any wrong borders.

~

Michael

FDA
Sep 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Me and a buddy were at running horse last night, saw a few other folks there, was it any of you guys?

svbrady
Sep 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Depends on location... As weird as that seems. As if the whole thing wasn't difficult to understand anyway.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007%20carb%20revised%20riding%20seasons.pdf

Good luck deciphering it, and cross your fingers that you don't wander across any wrong borders.

~

Michael

looks like oct 1 around these parts, sierras

Mr J Himself
Sep 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM
You could go to Miami trails. Been there a few times, never seen a ranger.

mrlopez
Sep 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Ok I want to do some trails next weekend, anyone else?

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Ok I want to do some trails next weekend, anyone else?

I'm game. Bike should be ready

mrlopez
Sep 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I'm game. Bike should be ready

Cool, but we still someone to guide us, I haven't done trails in years

JonJon
Sep 12th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Just got back from Miami. Was a pretty sweet day, and never saw a Ranger. :dblthumb2:

svbrady
Sep 12th, 2010, 07:44 PM
i got stopped the last time i was at miami,,by game warden ,,,i was loading up done for the day..."ready for some riding next weekend",,,lets get a crew together this week,,head up to shuteye..or somthing?

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 12th, 2010, 08:39 PM
i got stopped the last time i was at miami,,by game warden ,,,i was loading up done for the day..."ready for some riding next weekend",,,lets get a crew together this week,,head up to shuteye..or somthing?

were doing it!

PapaBear
Sep 13th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I went out to running horse today. Just a guy on a quad was out there.

CBR600RIDA
Sep 13th, 2010, 08:19 AM
were doing it!

Im down for some trails this weekend

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Im down for some trails this weekend

my friend who's doing all the work to my bike was suppose to start today but he got sick. Soooooooo hopefully It'll be ready by this weekend.

mrlopez
Sep 13th, 2010, 12:19 PM
my friend who's doing all the work to my bike was suppose to start today but he got sick. Soooooooo hopefully It'll be ready by this weekend.

Ohhh here we go, I'll try to convince Soun to come and play with he's yz426 hopefully he's game

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Ohhh here we go, I'll try to convince Soun to come and play with he's yz426 hopefully he's game

It'll be done by this week.

Flip
Sep 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Anybody want to go ride the track at la grange. I should have my quad running in a week or so...i hope

mrlopez
Sep 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Anybody want to go ride the track at la grange. I should have my quad running in a week or so...i hope

la grange, its a work out track :D I havent bee there in years, whats the condition?

JonJon
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Drinking the orange kool-aid, and lovin it!

Flip
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:26 PM
la grange, its a work out track :D I havent bee there in years, whats the condition?
The track is one of the best around if u go to a race or a monday after a race...otherwise it is not prepped

montibank
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:34 PM

Yehaw there it is!

svbrady
Sep 13th, 2010, 07:21 PM
whos going this weekend for sure,,we need to make game plan,,place to ride,meeting spot,, time, swap #,s all that stuff,,,???????473-5990

montibank
Sep 13th, 2010, 07:35 PM
whos going this weekend for sure,,we need to make game plan,,place to ride,meeting spot,, time, swap #,s all that stuff?
Ahh now that sounds like me... "Mr Details."
I sit at home chomping at the bit over details, but I realize at least in my case it is a bit neurotic. Glad to see I am not alone.
:p

svbrady
Sep 13th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Ahh now that sounds like me... "Mr Details."
I sit at home chomping at the bit over details, but I realize at least in my case it is a bit neurotic. Glad to see I am not alone.
:p

lol,just want get the old dirty bike out of the garage,,shes just sitting ther rotting away,,and needs to be riden,,had traffic school last weekend,,got to get out for ride this weekend,,,u goin on that dusty e ride?

svbrady
Sep 13th, 2010, 08:35 PM
The track is one of the best around if u go to a race or a monday after a race...otherwise it is not prepped

went to la grange awhile back on my quad track was rock hard..i took a beaten that day...dirt was harder then running hor and thats pretty hard,,,track layout was very nice,,and plenty a places to fart around

montibank
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
lol,just want get the old dirty bike out of the garage,,shes just sitting ther rotting away,,and needs to be riden,,had traffic school last weekend,,got to get out for ride this weekend,,,u goin on that dusty e ride?

yuppers im hurting for some hurtin:evilgrin0013:

mrlopez
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM

that looks like pee to me dude :rolleyes:

mrlopez
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:41 PM
whos going this weekend for sure,,we need to make game plan,,place to ride,meeting spot,, time, swap #,s all that stuff,,,???????473-5990

Im probably game for sunday to do some trails

montibank
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM
yuppers im hurting for some hurtin:evilgrin0013:

Darn cancelled... Ok... Im down for some trail riding if I gots no one to Dusy with ... Not a solo ride. Thats just bad thinkin.

mrlopez
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Darn cancelled... Ok... Im down for some trail riding if I gots no one to Dusy with ... Not a solo ride. Thats just bad thinkin.

Whatttt?? :confused2:

JonJon
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
that looks like pee to me dude :rolleyes:

Then you need to drink more water. :rolleyes:

montibank
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Whatttt?? :confused2:

Can't Dusy this weekend.. So I am down for trailin elsewhere. Saturday better but Sunday works too.

mrlopez
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Then you need to drink more water. :rolleyes:

Ohh I drink plenty of water sometimes up two gallons a day :D

mrlopez
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Can't Dusy this weekend.. So I am down for trailin elsewhere. Saturday better but Sunday works too.

Sunday works for me then :) where too then?

montibank
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Haven't been to Gorman recently.
Hollister is always fun but dusty, Gorman will be the same.
Hummm...

mrlopez
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Hummm...

I was thinking somthing local up the mountains

montibank
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:50 PM

*chuckles* Yes ... Yes you were. :evilgrin0013:

I don't mind being lost. But I do mind doing a lot of road miles geared as short as I am. Oh I could change it I suppose... But I have already spent a lot of prep time in the garage already this week. Blue Canyon would be fun - but I do not know the area decent enough to lead a ride through it.

How many hours/miles in the saddle are you thinkin? Dirt only or road and dirt?

mrlopez
Sep 14th, 2010, 06:14 AM

I don't mind being lost. But I do mind doing a lot of road miles geared as short as I am. Oh I could change it I suppose... But I have already spent a lot of prep time in the garage already this week. Blue Canyon would be fun - but I do not know the area decent enough to lead a ride through it.

I'm thinking something about the dinkey creek area, and all dirt this time so maybe we can take Soun and he's yz426

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 14th, 2010, 06:20 AM
are you guys going to haul your bikes or ride up there? I'm hoping to get my bike to my friend tomorrow but that's only if hes feeling better.

mrlopez
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:07 AM
are you guys going to haul your bikes or ride up there? I'm hoping to get my bike to my friend tomorrow but that's only if hes feeling better.

Hauling on your truck :D

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Hauling on your truck :D

Well I'm not even 100% sure I'm going just yet. RM is getting the top end rebuilt, cleaning the carb/jet & having the suspension adjusted for my weight.

JonJon
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Well I'm not even 100% sure I'm going just yet. RM is getting the top end rebuilt, cleaning the carb/jet & having the suspension adjusted for my weight.

That takes all of 30 minutes.

mrlopez
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:29 AM
That takes all of 30 minutes.

Well more likely just an excuse incase he can't go :rolleyes:

svbrady
Sep 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM

do u no the whiskey trails by bass lake? ive never rhode em but we could plan route,,think there snowmobile trails

GreeNug
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:38 PM

I am up for some trail riding this weekend. Sat and Sun both should work for me.

I could't make Ducy either and still haven't got back a hold of Byron. How many miles would that adventure be? Were you bringing gas with you or? Were you going to pack a bed roll and sleep bag for the 2 day part or? Do you need to be dual sport or is green sticker otay? I have to money saved to convert to dual sport I'm just working on a good time to do it.

Hummm...

I am up for a run out of town if ya wanna. I hear there are some good trails in Gorman if you know where to look? It's gonna be dusty anywhere we go

I am up for a local run as well

I am usually good for 60 or so miles a day of mostly single track as long as my legs hold out and don't cramp up. Dirt only for now for me, I have the money saved up to convert my CRF to dual sport I'm just working on a good time to do it.

I'm thinking something about the dinkey creek area, and all dirt this time so maybe we can take Soun and he's yz426

Is there any single track out by Dinky or is it fire roads only?

Well more likely just an excuse incase he can't go :rolleyes:

Dang someone's bail'd a few too many times eh?

do u no the whiskey trails by bass lake? ive never rhode em but we could plan route,,think there snowmobile trails

I wouldn't say I know the whisky area but I've been riding there for a season and a half and know of a few trails and am always finding more.

mrlopez
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:49 PM
No tracks on dinkey area just fire roads and trails

svbrady
Sep 14th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I am up for some trail riding this weekend. Sat and Sun both should work for me.

I could't make Ducy either and still haven't got back a hold of Byron. How many miles would that adventure be? Were you bringing gas with you or? Were you going to pack a bed roll and sleep bag for the 2 day part or? Do you need to be dual sport or is green sticker otay? I have to money saved to convert to dual sport I'm just working on a good time to do it.

I am up for a run out of town if ya wanna. I hear there are some good trails in Gorman if you know where to look? It's gonna be dusty anywhere we go

I am up for a local run as well

I am usually good for 60 or so miles a day of mostly single track as long as my legs hold out and don't cramp up. Dirt only for now for me, I have the money saved up to convert my CRF to dual sport I'm just working on a good time to do it.

Is there any single track out by Dinky or is it fire roads only?

Dang someone's bail'd a few too many times eh?

I wouldn't say I know the whisky area but I've been riding there for a season and a half and know of a few trails and am always finding more.

looks like we got a group,,where do we wana meet,,

montibank
Sep 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM
How many miles would that adventure be?

Were you bringing gas with you or?
Was bringin in 2 liters of gas extra in MSR bottles, I have a 1 spare MSR bottle and an aluminum 1 liter ether bottle that works great too. Rubicon I had over a half tank at the end of the trail. No need for extra fuel that time. I think I could do this trail without the extra two liters ... but the piece of mind you have knowing you have just a leeeeeetle more fuel is nice.:evilgrin0013:

Were you going to pack a bed roll and sleep bag for the 2 day part or?
Last time I had no sleeping bag since we were not intending to sleep out there. Just slept in my gear - too exhausted to care either way, it was a little cold the fire helped. I packed an REI bivy this time just in case it rained (waterproof) and to keep the mosquitoes off.... Speaking of - I was gonna try and get free dinner with this little get rich quick scheme (see attached pic)

Do you need to be dual sport or is green sticker otay? I have to money saved to convert to dual sport I'm just working on a good time to do it.
Called the Seirra Ranger station today - this is how to they 'splained it to me. (insert reckneck accent) "K' honey if the numbers go crossways - requires a plate, If'n they go up'n'down you need a green sticker." I love them folks they are always nice. I think working in the best job on the planet prolly has something to do with it.

About the conversion - make sure you got yer emissions sticker before you waste yer money: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvdualreg.htm

Last I checked they were not allowing any conversions, but it looks like maybe now they are? Soo cornfused.

About riding:

Saturday I can sneak off for the whole day easy.

Sunday - I can sneak out EARLY sunday morning, but I gotta be home before 1200. If I do not get out the door sunday before the Mrs wakes up it jus ain't a gonna happen.

Alternately - I could just not go home on saturday night. Then I can play on Sunday heheheh.

Saturday riders - I have truck, and willing to drive as far as Gorman for a day trip (splitting gas wouldn't hurt). Dualsporting all over the place is fun too.

Sunday riders - Less interested in trucking, just ride out and in under the radar to be home in time to keep the Mrs happy.

mrlopez
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
well saturday its still in the air, sunday its free and clear for me

svbrady
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:27 PM
No tracks on dinkey area just fire roads and trails

Was bringin in 2 liters of gas extra in MSR bottles, I have a 1 spare MSR bottle and an aluminum 1 liter ether bottle that works great too. Rubicon I had over a half tank at the end of the trail. No need for extra fuel that time. I think I could do this trail without the extra two liters ... but the piece of mind you have knowing you have just a leeeeeetle more fuel is nice.:evilgrin0013:

Last time I had no sleeping bag since we were not intending to sleep out there. Just slept in my gear - too exhausted to care either way, it was a little cold the fire helped. I packed an REI bivy this time just in case it rained (waterproof) and to keep the mosquitoes off.... Speaking of - I was gonna try and get free dinner with this little get rich quick scheme (see attached pic)

Called the Seirra Ranger station today - this is how to they 'splained it to me. (insert reckneck accent) "K' honey if the numbers go crossways - requires a plate, If'n they go up'n'down you need a green sticker." I love them folks they are always nice. I think working in the best job on the planet prolly has something to do with it.

About the conversion - make sure you got yer emissions sticker before you waste yer money: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvdualreg.htm

Last I checked they were not allowing any conversions, but it looks like maybe now they are? Soo cornfused.

About riding:

Saturday I can sneak off for the whole day easy.

Sunday - I can sneak out EARLY sunday morning, but I gotta be home before 1200. If I do not get out the door sunday before the Mrs wakes up it jus ain't a gonna happen.

Alternately - I could just not go home on saturday night. Then I can play on Sunday heheheh.

Saturday riders - I have truck, and willing to drive as far as Gorman for a day trip (splitting gas wouldn't hurt). Dualsporting all over the place is fun too.

Sunday riders - Less interested in trucking, just ride out and in under the radar to be home in time to keep the Mrs happy.

well saturday its still in the air, sunday its free and clear for me

make it happen bud,,just do it

montibank
Sep 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
make it happen bud,,just do it
Alrighty - I'll admit I was sandbagging waiting for someone else to pull the trigger but I just can't to it the OCD is setting in :evilgrin0013: ---> Getting Dirty Saturday 9/18/2010 (http://www.centralvalleyriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9279).

I may still ride sunday still - just not making plans. Sergio if that is the only day you can get out you know I wanna get out ridin with ya. Gimmie a call, I wanna get you hooked on them knobbies too:D.

hipmatt
Sep 15th, 2010, 06:31 PM
nice i think im getting my turns in the dirt down. just leaning over and gasin' it out. ;)