PDA

View Full Version : Stewards of the Sierra - Monthly Meeting June 9th 7pm

MCassle
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:32 PM
The Stewards of the Sierra NF is having there regular monthly meeting on June 9, 2010 at the Pizza Factory in the Madera Ranchos at 7:00 p.m. Come out and bring a friend and have some great food and stay informed about what is happening in the Sierra National Forest.

We will be discussing R5 Travel Management / Record of Decision and the implications of how it will affect the public use of the forest. We will also be discussing & doing some planning for the upcoming Dual Sport ride and BBQ the Stewards will be hosting on July 10,11, 2010 in the North Fork area. You can find more information and a flier you can print at www.sotsnf.org

If you are interested in volunteering in the Sierra National Forest to help keep our trails and roads open for all of the public to enjoy and use and would like to become volunteer please come on out to the meeting on Wednesday night June 9, 2010 and get some more information on how you can help and have a good time outdoors in the forest.

By working together as volunteers and in conjunction with the USFS we can keep our forests open and provide a great place for our families to enjoy.

Thanks!

Matt :D

JonJon
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I'm going to try and make this.. How long do you think this meeting will be?

just ride
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Guys whatever you do, do not work the USFS. They will find out what trails are out there and then close them. I know people that wanted to help to keep the trails open. They worked with the USFS, gave the USFS trail locations, then the government shut down the trails. Please do not give any info to the government. They will stab you in the back. If you do not believe me, ask any oldtimers that rides/rode offroad motorcycles, they will tell you. DON'T TRUST THE GOVERNMENT!
Matt

MCassle
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I'm going to try and make this.. How long do you think this meeting will be?

Meetings are usually an hour and a half or so, but leave when ever you want no requirement to stay until the end. Appreciate you coming out ;)

MCassle
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Guys whatever you do, do not work the USFS. They will find out what trails are out there and then close them. I know people that wanted to help to keep the trails open. They worked with the USFS, gave the USFS trail locations, then the government shut down the trails. Please do not give any info to the government. They will stab you in the back. If you do not believe me, ask any oldtimers that rides/rode offroad motorcycles, they will tell you. DON'T TRUST THE GOVERNMENT!
Matt

Okay, here's the deal: they already know. They did a 'route inventory' (with our Green Sticker funds to fund a team of contractors to ride the entire Sierra NF), plus the public already submitted comments on which routes they wanted included in the final inventory ... and that was two years ago! Where have you been?

I agree, don't trust the government but what can you do? If you don't work within the system (that 'we the people' have voted for), and chose to just outlaw ride it, you do a disservice to all the volunteers that are trying to make things better. Don't give the anti-access folks any more ammo, they have plenty for crying out loud.

Dirt bikers & singletrack stand to lose the most if we don't get involved. Cross-country travel on the National Forests has been eliminated state wide, that was a given in Region 5 from the get-go. We have to get involved to save whats left and help 'mitigate' the problems that exist.

I've been involved for many years now, and it's been a real eye-opener. OHV is not the only users in the National Forests, we have to play nice or we stand to lose even more.

I know it's frustrating, I'm right there with you. Without the SotSNF involvement, the amount of OHV routes lost would of been much much worse than it already will be.

This will be the last year to ride CA National Forests 'as is' ... enjoy it, and ride it while you can!

Matt

just ride
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Okay, here's the deal: they already know. They did a 'route inventory' (with our Green Sticker funds to fund a team of contractors to ride the entire Sierra NF), plus the public already submitted comments on which routes they wanted included in the final inventory ... and that was two years ago! Where have you been?

I agree, don't trust the government but what can you do? If you don't work within the system (that 'we the people' have voted for), and chose to just outlaw ride it, you do a disservice to all the volunteers that are trying to make things better. Don't give the anti-access folks any more ammo, they have plenty for crying out loud.

Dirt bikers & singletrack stand to lose the most if we don't get involved. Cross-country travel on the National Forests has been eliminated state wide, that was a given in Region 5 from the get-go. We have to get involved to save whats left and help 'mitigate' the problems that exist.

I've been involved for many years now, and it's been a real eye-opener. OHV is not the only users in the National Forests, we have to play nice or we stand to lose even more.

I know it's frustrating, I'm right there with you. Without the SotSNF involvement, the amount of OHV routes lost would of been much much worse than it already will be.

This will be the last year to ride CA National Forests 'as is' ... enjoy it, and ride it while you can!

Matt

I tried to warn you. Please dont work w/the USFS. Just tell them you do not know where any trails are. Try this-Give them the GPS point to your favorite trail, and wait. If the trail stays open, then I am/was/always be wrong. But when they close it--HAHA. This always happens. People like yourself, who want to do the right thing go into the meeting trying to help. Then you learn what happens. You say to hell w/these people and stop talking to them. Then five years late a new group of people wanting to help start to talk w/the USFS and more trails close. Please stop trying to help! All offroad riders will be better off. Pay you green stickers and ride free. Open your eyes and ears at the next meeting and listen to the bull**** they are feeding you.
Matt

MCassle
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:01 PM
LMAO, what a sound strategy ... NOT :mad:

just ride
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:06 PM
LMAO, what a sound strategy ... NOT :mad:

Tell them you ride only @ Miami trails. Your intentions are good, but your dealing w/the government. The WILL lie to you. Trust me I know.
Matt

MCassle
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I feel your pain, really I do. Example:

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=390881

I've been in meetings with Sierra NF personal, sat on OHV roundtable meetings, walked the Kiser trail in Miami with a Bass Lake ranger. Been there done that.

It's not as simple as 'they will lie to you', there are many dynamics to the issues of OHV. The FS is getting pressure on all sides.

I would encourage everyone to VOTE, that will make the most difference. Get rid of these worthless liberal politicians & do-gooders.

montibank
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Dirt bikers & singletrack stand to lose the most if we don't get involved. Cross-country travel on the National Forests has been eliminated state wide, that was a given in Region 5 from the get-go.

Isn't this a nation-wide mandate? I think it is a federal requirement, I may be wrong it wouldn't be the first time.:p

Might show up for the meeting - but I gotta admit; it does seem a little pointless. I am curious to see what your plan of attack is - but I can't see it doing any good. I don't want to be a career criminal - and I don't have the time or interest in devoting my time to some lost cause. Convince me that something can be done - other than complain about what a tragedy this is. If this turns into a whine into my beer fest you won't see me again.

And now on the lighter side the reason we are in this mess: Shouldn't someone do something? (http://www.theonion.com/articles/somebody-should-do-something-about-all-the-problem,11018/)

And because I thought it was funny: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=environmentalist&page=3

~

Michael

MCassle
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:34 PM
And this is why we get steamrolled ... imagine our 2nd Amendment rights without the folks behind the NRA. OHV can only dream of having that type of representation & #s

It's isn't a whinefest, but if you come with that mindset, please just stay home & bury your head in the sand.

Yes, it's nation wide but R5 is getting hit hard due to the pressure from so-called environmental groups, and the indoctrinated employees in the FS.

montibank
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Nevermind ... not coming. Refuse to get bashed for "the pursuit of happiness" which does not include being bashed by a felow enthusiast. Well done mate, you turned a potential comrade into a stuanch non-believer.

I asked you to educate me, make me believe in your *edit* ability to make change *edit*. Instead you saved me some gas money and an evening of disappointment.

Thanks mate.

MCassle
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Wow. :rolleyes:

montibank
Jun 7th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Sorry man. I just don't share your optimism on the subject. If I may make a leadership suggestion? Next time use more carrot, less stick.

adam45
Jun 9th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I have been to these meetings, they are productive.yes no one likes the current closure situation,but ignoring it imo is not the answer.
we are forced to play by the usfs rules,the old ways are gone,if you don't get involved with the new game,it's like not voting= you can't complain about it later.
So i will continue to go to the meetings and participate,and hopefully save as many trails as i can for the next generation.