PDA

View Full Version : N oO B to CVR With ChatterBox Questions.

Zoxx
May 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hello all I was introduced to the site from a local rider that just happened to see me ride up to his store and he told me about this site to check out rides and meet other riders.

So a little about me. I have ridden dirt bikes since I was a kid and now I finally got my a bike. 08 ZX600 Ninja. Best purchase I have made in my life and I love it. I ride with buddy of mine who has 07 GSX 1000 SE.

My ChatterBox question is there a main channel that everybody here in the valley always goes too. I have seen lots of peeps with them but I have no idea what channel they are on so I was seeing if there was a "Fresno Channel" Or something like that.

Thanks in advance for all the help and looking foward to the next CVR Meet and greet. I just found out about the site the other day and missed the last one >.<

Calkidd
May 3rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
First off welcome.

There really is no specific channel others talk on. If you have a GMRS or the X2 Chatterbox you have a slew of channels to choose from, but if you have a Multi Sport then you only have two channels. I primarily use my chatterbox only when I am riding with a group who also has chatterboxes. I don't wear it and use it like a CB radio.

mrlopez
May 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Welcome aboard you like in here :D

Zoxx
May 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
First off welcome.

There really is no specific channel others talk on. If you have a GMRS or the X2 Chatterbox you have a slew of channels to choose from, but if you have a Multi Sport then you only have two channels. I primarily use my chatterbox only when I am riding with a group who also has chatterboxes. I don't wear it and use it like a CB radio.

I have the Box that is right under the Bluetooth.

Welcome aboard you like in here :D

Yeah. I like it. I love how many riders there are in Fresno. Its cool to see 2-3 riders at least everyday to work. I am guessing we are going to be seeing more and more with gas prices. I love it. 10 bucks and I ride for a week.

A Ninja Boot
May 3rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
I only have my Chatterbox on, because I am to lazy to take it off and shove the wires to hide them. I just end up leaving my Chatterbox on my helmet.

Agustin
May 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
+1

Roadliner
May 5th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Has anyone had good luck with the Chatterbox??
Two of us that ride alot put them on the helmets last year... he took his back already.. mine is uninstalled but I have it on the workbench still..
We had weird battery issues where his would die in 1/2 the time of mine, even when charged side by side; mine was always popping the vox unless it was so high I had to scream into the helmet..
I tried the ptt button but it is huge on the handgrip..

I picked up a Tork unit to try.. it connects to a motorolla FRS radio. it has a smaller ptt button, but i havent tried it yet.

Anyone have any tips on the Chatterbox, something I may be missing?

A Ninja Boot
May 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I have some problems with mine, sometimes it'll just shut-off or if I am to close to someone I get a lot of static. Other than that, I get good battery life, speak, and hear everyone else just fine.

Bonkers
May 5th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I had mine many years with no problems ..
i have noticed that if you put inside your tankbag while yuou ride and its close to the magnets that it can freak out with alot of static somtimes.
I just upgraded to the Blue-tooth one and all i have to say is that im inlove with it .. hooks up to both my GPS/MP3 player and my cellphone at the same time if i want it to .. most the time i just run the GPS/MP3 player .
Now its on my helmmet with no wires going to bike :)
And battery life seams to be like 10 hours + on it ..

Roadliner
May 5th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hmm.. maybe we just had some flaky ones or something...

Is everyone using the VOX feature with success?

Another item might be helmet... What kind of helmet does everyone have it mounted on?
I tried on a 1/2helmet and a hybrid.. the hybrid had to use the boom like the 1/2 so maybe that had something to do with my (lack of) success.

I have the Zumo550 GPS/MP3 so I like the idea of the bluetooth also.. might look into upgrading.. anyone ever try the bluetooth one with the Yaesu/Vertex HAM radio that is bluetooth connection?

Bonkers
May 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM
i have allways used teh VOX .
I also use a icon fullface, so not much wind noise .

As for the GPS/Mp3 .. i have the MIO 420

Not sure about the Ham stuff lol .. might want to ask Calkidd about ham stuff... :)

Agustin
May 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
My neighbors and I all have one. Thats six of us and we all use the VOX no problem. There is static with some units when you're too close. It's not really static, more like a robotic-type distortion. Dunno.

But otherwise we get great range and have been really useful. I can go nearly a month up and down Shaw listening to it with my MP3 player on the same charge. I leave it on all the time, it's just easier than taking it off.

Calkidd
May 5th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Not sure about the Ham stuff lol .. might want to ask Calkidd about ham stuff... :)Oh great here comes the pig jokes:rolleyes:

I have had my multi sport for over 4 years and it still is going strong on the same battery. The only thing I had to replace has been the mic headset.

Devlausdan
May 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Sooner or later, I'm going to have to get a ChatterBox myself. I mean it's great to be able to talk to the other riders to make sure that everyone's coming along okay. I'm sure it's also great to be able to take phone calls while you're flying.

My question is they make a 2 miles range ChatterBox and a 5 miles range ChatterBox. Is the 5 miles worth it and necessary? I mean in a group of riders, do you think that you'll lose the other riders and fall back beyond 5 miles? I've never fell back that far before. Usually in a ride, either myself or the other riders are one or two corners behind only. Wait, never mind... I did once fall back past 5 miles coming back from San Mateo. I kept going south on I5 and the guys exited to Stockton. Question answered...

Agustin
May 6th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Sooner or later, I'm going to have to get a ChatterBox myself. I mean it's great to be able to talk to the other riders to make sure that everyone's coming along okay. I'm sure it's also great to be able to take phone calls while you're flying.

My question is they make a 2 miles range ChatterBox and a 5 miles range ChatterBox. Is the 5 miles worth it and necessary? I mean in a group of riders, do you think that you'll lose the other riders and fall back beyond 5 miles? I've never fell back that far before. Usually in a ride, either myself or the other riders are one or two corners behind only. Wait, never mind... I did once fall back past 5 miles coming back from San Mateo. I kept going south on I5 and the guys exited to Stockton. Question answered...

And don't forget, in a larger ride its not you who might fall behind, but guys like me who's wreck is still fresh enough in their minds to keep us slow.

yoageallen
May 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Ha! Pig! He said Pig!:D

A Ninja Boot
May 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I use an Icon mainframe helmet and it has wind/bug deflector under the chin of the helmet. I also use VOX to talk to others.

kidmoua
May 6th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Ha! Pig! He said Pig!:D

what a noob

Zoxx
May 7th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I had mine many years with no problems ..
i have noticed that if you put inside your tankbag while yuou ride and its close to the magnets that it can freak out with alot of static somtimes.
I just upgraded to the Blue-tooth one and all i have to say is that im inlove with it .. hooks up to both my GPS/MP3 player and my cellphone at the same time if i want it to .. most the time i just run the GPS/MP3 player .
Now its on my helmmet with no wires going to bike :)
And battery life seams to be like 10 hours + on it ..

How do you listen to your MP3 with no wires?

I have to use my MP3 Armband and then use a cord that goes from my armband to the Chatterbox.

Bonkers
May 7th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I got the Bluetooth Chatter box on my helment and my GPS/MP3 is Bluetooth as well and its hardwired into my bike .

When i get home tonight i will take pic for you :)

Zoxx
May 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM
AH I got you. You listen to your MP3 through you Bluetooth. Yeah Im lame and dont have blue tooth so I just use the old fashion cord.