PDA

View Full Version : Question...

poach
May 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Did a lil riding up in Millwood yesterday...accessed the area via the gate near delilah helipad and headed east up into the mtns. Once we were done tearing around we exited the area near the little campground situated where the mill once stood west of Sequoia lake.

A band of 4X4 types(with their campers, generators, pick-n-ic baskets, etc) had blocked off, along with their campsite, one of the access points to the Millwood area with red tape, and had posted a sign reading "no public access". Due to the profligate use of the signs, red tape, and caltrans warning signs they had set up, it appeared as though they've done this before. This access point has always been open to the public as far as I know.

Questions...

Has anybody else ever seen something like this? Can they lawfully take it upon themselves to restrict access to the public while they enjoy the same public land they're restricting to others?

My riding partner mentioned it might be a 4X4 woodhound club or somesuch, who take it upon themselves to go in and clear fallen trees for thier 4X4 bretheren. Even if this is true, what gives them the right?

Calkidd
May 28th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I am wondering if the signs were Caltrans you might be able to call Caltrans and find out if this is a legit operation?

poach
May 28th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Well, when I say caltrans, I mean those orange&white folding blinky things. The rest of the "keep out this means you" stuff was way too home spun to be an actual caltrans operation. Plus, all the 4x4's, camp trailers, and people were on the other side of the keep out mumbojumbo...leading me to believe the campers had set it up...

Sprocket
May 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I went camping up there a few weeks ago and the forest service was doing a lot of work. May be them; but people living in that camp cannot legally block access.

Calkidd
May 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I spoke with law enforcement up in the Sequoia Nation Forrest Hume Lake office and that was in fact a legit deal. They had a downed rotten tree that was a hazard. So they roped it off and took care of the hazard and have since cleared out.

HamRDown
May 30th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I spoke with law enforcement up in the Sequoia Nation Forrest Hume Lake office and that was in fact a legit deal. They had a downed rotten tree that was a hazard. So they roped it off and took care of the hazard and have since cleared out.

damn man, you are pretty handy ay? :p

BlooDSMeaR
May 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM
damn man, you are pretty handy ay? :p

:word: He has insider info. It's cool' cause he tells me when the Black helos are going to be in the air.

poach
Jun 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM
A legit deal with customized jeep cj's, travel campers, beer chests, and wives on a thurs afternoon? I guess it's possible...

Next time I'll just ride up and ask em...

Calkidd
Jun 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM
I thought it was strange too, but I told the LEO that ice chest, generators stuff you would see with a 4x4 party was there. He said yes they were clearing a tree.

I was very specific when I told him, exactly what you wrote Chris, and he said it was them out there. But then again something could have been miss understood.

poach
Jun 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM
My riding partner mentioned it might be a 4X4 woodhound club or somesuch, who take it upon themselves to go in and clear fallen trees for thier 4X4 bretheren. Even if this is true, what gives them the right?

Looks like my partner's right on the money...and the forrestry service gives em the right. lol