PDA

View Full Version : FEIS Travel Management Meeting - Last Night

montibank
May 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Did anyone else here go? - http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/routedesignation/

They did pass out some CDs with maps on them in PDF format - but they are on their website as well I believe. Here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/projects/ohv/feis-2010/SNF_FEIS_Vol2_AppendixK_Maps/ROD_alt5_map.pdf

I talked to a few of the folks there and hope to have the ArcGIS source files for the routes soon for dualsport/offroading trip planning. I have a whole summer of no riding allowed to make plans for fall. Might as well make creative use of those hours.

One interesting item of note: They are not going to enforce the FEIS till 2011 spring for some reason unless you are (I forget the exact legal term they kept using) wreaking havok on erodable soil, or blasting through a special interest or designated vehicular off limits area where there are no trails. If you are burning out in the mud just to make a mess or if you go charging through a closed gate into a super muddy trail yer gonna get cited. If you are traveling through an undesignated but established trail you are "likely to get a freindly wave..." as you pass by. The current forest supervisors own words. WOOOT! Riding is on this late summer/fall!

Also an interesting bit of info about snow. This whole mess of information does not pertain to travel over snow. An offroad vehicle traveling through a minimum of 12" snow that does not disturb the soil beneath it is considered a snow mobile!! Soooo I am getting one of these deals as soon as I can!:

Snow Bike Conversion Kit (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/394/2289/Motorcycle-Article/EXPLORER-Snow-Bike-Conversion-Kit.aspx)

~

Michael

MikeinFresno
May 19th, 2010, 11:36 AM
and as it stands right now there are only 20mi of open trails, total of 67 was all that was included, but the 47 mi still closed needs MITIGATION to open them. This means repairs or reroutes. Close to 200 mi was not considered cuz they ran out of time and couldnt survey it all to see what can be open. It will happen over the next few years, maybe, no written document, just word of mouth and a promise. Out of the 200 expect 50 to 75 mi to be not allowed and closed, based on the average shown on the other trails. So we will end up with under 200 mi of open trails in the SNF, from Miami area thru Bass lake to Shaver are to Pine flat area, total of less than 200mi. Nice huh!

sanford
May 19th, 2010, 11:55 AM
An article in the Fresno Bee last week mentioned that the Deusey trail would only be opened for 2 months I think. Like Aug 1 to end of Sept. Lots of traffic!

montibank
May 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM
An article in the Fresno Bee last week mentioned that the Deusey trail would only be opened for 2 months I think. Like Aug 1 to end of Sept. Lots of traffic!

That is correct I believe from what I heard last night.

and as it stands right now there are only 20mi of open trails, total of 67 was all that was included, but the 47 mi still closed needs MITIGATION to open them. This means repairs or reroutes. Close to 200 mi was not considered cuz they ran out of time and couldnt survey it all to see what can be open. It will happen over the next few years, maybe, no written document, just word of mouth and a promise. Out of the 200 expect 50 to 75 mi to be not allowed and closed, based on the average shown on the other trails. So we will end up with under 200 mi of open trails in the SNF, from Miami area thru Bass lake to Shaver are to Pine flat area, total of less than 200mi. Nice huh!

She said they would not enforce till spring, IF there is no injunction. I assume if there is an injunction/suit it would be pushed back further, but I don't know for sure. So to clarify your above statement, on paper damn near everything worth motoring on two wheels is gone, I agree. And there is a chance at some future point in time we may see a small portion come back. I don't see them adding those areas "needing mitigation" to be added simply because the trails are too remote to get to for the work they want to do to stabilize the trail. Woods riding is not something that our kids will understand in the way we knew it.

MikeinFresno
May 19th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I thot the date for Dusy was 8-1 to 11-19, but maybe I got it wrong

montibank
May 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Meh... I'll look it up when I get out to ride it. Each year I say I am gonna do it for the past 3 years. Still have yet to try.

MikeinFresno
May 20th, 2010, 07:19 AM
its a long, slow trail. Lots of roots and rocks, 1-2 and sometimes 3rd gear. Not really a difficult trail just slow.

adam45
May 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I can only wish i was filthy rich, i would sue the hell out of the forest service for what they are doing. they are closing it from dec to may,also closing all the technical trails. They have no regard for the local economic impact at all.

sanford
May 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM
I assume the same restraints will be put on the Swamp Lake trail?

montibank
May 21st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Alll the information you need is actually on this map (http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/projects/ohv/feis-2010/SNF_FEIS_Vol2_AppendixK_Maps/alt5_full_FEIS.pdf). If you identify where it is on that map for me maybe we both can decipher it.

Don Hopkirk
May 22nd, 2010, 06:49 AM
Its a real bummer, all the land closures for OHV. Plan for it to get worse. Can't say I am surprised by it. For all the people that own dirt bikes, quads etc. The number of people that have actually gotten off their asses and done anything to try and stop the closures is pathetic as to which we get what we deserve. :(

Don Hopkirk

adam45
May 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Its a real bummer, all the land closures for OHV. Plan for it to get worse. Can't say I am surprised by it. For all the people that own dirt bikes, quads etc. The number of people that have actually gotten off their asses and done anything to try and stop the closures is pathetic as to which we get what we deserve. :(

Don Hopkirk

Yes you are right about that don. I can't believe the amount of people i talk to that don't have a clue of what's going on with the forest closures, I guess the'll get it when they try and ride there favorite trail, or camp at the special spot and see closed signs.

adam45
May 28th, 2010, 08:49 AM
hi, this group is highly involved with fighting this closure .stewards of the sierra national forest.
They are organizing a benefit ride,july 1oth and 11 for the defense fund.you can go to their website for more info,try to attend or donate to the cause.. thanks