PDA

View Full Version : duel sport , off road or mx this weekend?

up in smoke
May 18th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I would like to hit the dirt this weekend . anyone up for a ride?

McLuvin_R1
May 18th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I only ride street bro. :sleep:

JonJon
May 18th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I would like to hit the dirt this weekend . anyone up for a ride?

You not going to Hangtown?

up in smoke
May 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM
You not going to Hangtown?
naw.... i would rather ride than watch.

montibank
May 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Wish I could. Got a munchkin due to arrive this week. Have fun.

montibank
May 18th, 2010, 09:58 PM
naw.... i would rather ride than watch.

+1

up in smoke
May 21st, 2010, 07:34 PM
going to tulare sat morning . sunday ????

up in smoke
May 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
sunday ?

McLuvin_R1
May 22nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
I did some off roading today on my MOUNTAIN BIKE!

Drove up 180, until it ended, the unloaded the bikes and hit some trails. Saw 7 deer, and 1 big ass bear!

montibank
May 23rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Drove up 180, until it ended, the unloaded the bikes and hit some trails. Saw 7 deer, and 1 big ass bear!

Seen bears up there several times. Kinda scary when yer all by yourself.

See any snow up there?

McLuvin_R1
May 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Seen bears up there several times. Kinda scary when yer all by yourself.

See any snow up there?

Yeah I saw snow. It even snowed really hard at Big Stump. We wore shorts and shirts, so did my cousin "dust4breakfast" and my girlfriend. It was 45 degree's but we still went riding. The other side of the mountain (end of 180) was sunny but still cold.

But yes, still snow up there. Snowing at he end of May, crazy stuff!

montibank
May 23rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah I saw snow. It even snowed really hard at Big Stump. We wore shorts and shirts, so did my cousin "dust4breakfast" and my girlfriend. It was 45 degree's but we still went riding. The other side of the mountain (end of 180) was sunny but still cold.

But yes, still snow up there. Snowing at he end of May, crazy stuff!

Global warming ... :evilgrin0013:

McLuvin_R1
May 23rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Global warming ... :evilgrin0013:

Back in 03 it was snowing June 15th in Idaho when I was up there.

Global warming my ass.

What happend to the hole in the atmosphere in the 80's? ha!

training_wheelz
May 24th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I did some off roading today on my MOUNTAIN BIKE!

I believe bikes aren't allowed "off road" in the national parks

montibank
May 24th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I believe bikes aren't allowed "off road" in the national parks

Clarification here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/mountainbikes/

Opportunities on NFS Lands

Design - Many trails on NFS lands are open to mountain bikes but lack design and development.
Partnership between trail users and land managers.
Collaboration between user groups, including mountain bicylists, horseback riders and hikers.
Public Involvement to shape future projects.
Management - While most trails allow mountain bike use, very few are managed for mountain bike use.
Increased Awareness by land managers will lead to improved opportunities for all trail managers.
Resource Protection - As trails are redesigned and constructed, designs to accommodate mountain bikes can be incorporated with best management practices to protect resources.

User Created Trails

The Forest Service and International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) do not condone the creation of user trails. Valuable resources are damaged as a result of illegal trail building.
Where user needs are not addressed, users will make their own trails.
Steep trails that follow the fall line at up to 55% tend to be the most destructive.
Many user created trails may be considered for adoption with little on the ground work.
Some level of environmental analysis under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) would likely be required to adopt trails.

So non-established trail breaking is illegal, while all exsisting trails appear to be mostly legal. Ride while you can. Maybe I should take up mountain bike riding while its still fun/legal. I wonder if these legal trails are similar to the exciting fire roads I can ride on my plated 530 now?

~

Michael

training_wheelz
May 25th, 2010, 05:41 AM
National parks is different than national forest, much more strict rules in the parks. Hwy 180 ends in Kings Canyon National Park.