PDA

View Full Version : theme paintjobs.

hippylong
Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
i was wondering how much the theme paint jobs cost.
like.. yoageallens
or big kahuna's

ducbill996
Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
you can buy sponsorship decal kits like those... no painting required. you can even buy new fairings already done like that...

hippylong
Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
team lo budget theme ..

ducbill996
Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
oh...

hippylong
Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
i figure paintjob is at least 25 horsepower..
heheh.
all this is if bike decides to run...

Sprocket
Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:22 PM
i figure paintjob is at least 25 horsepower..
heheh.
all this is if bike decides to run...

At least. I got a good 5hp just from my wheel tape ;)

hippylong
Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
hehehe,
i saw that for sale the other day.
5hp.. maybe i need some..

Devlausdan
Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
you can buy sponsorship decal kits like those... no painting required. you can even buy new fairings already done like that...

Why would you sticker a Duc? Oh wait... there's a xerox out there. :D

Bonkers
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:12 AM
Why would you sticker a Duc? Oh wait... there's a xerox out there. :D

Ezy Dan .....;)

Big Kahuna
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Yeah, my paint is stock, from the factory, you can't purchase Repsol plastics without a Repsol VIN number. I'm asked every time I buy something for the bike. I know people have bought them without the VIN, but they are not supposed to. ;)

up in smoke
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
instead of being a poser . just get fast to get the sponsorship:)

GSXR888
Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
Being a race fan, if done right, they look sweeeet! Adrian did his himself, one of the best I have seen;) And the kid with the Rizla Suzuki at BW did a fantastic job too.

CBR888

ducbill996
Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah, my paint is stock, from the factory, you can't purchase Repsol plastics without a Repsol VIN number. I'm asked every time I buy something for the bike. I know people have bought them without the VIN, but they are not supposed to. ;)

you can buy sticker kits... and i haven't checked for honda stuff but i bet aftermarket companies have repsol bodywork... i mean why wouldn't they, it looks badass!!!

Big Kahuna
Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
you can buy sticker kits... and i haven't checked for honda stuff but i bet aftermarket companies have repsol bodywork... i mean why wouldn't they, it looks badass!!!Unfortunately, the aftermarket bodywork is crap, I've seen them. :( I'll stick with OEM. ;)

ducbill996
Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Unfortunately, the aftermarket bodywork is crap, I've seen them. :( I'll stick with OEM. ;)

but you can still get 'em? that was my point...

Big Kahuna
Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
but you can still get 'em? that was my point...True. Still cap but true. You'd be better off to have it painted than spend the money on crap.

ducbill996
Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
True. Still cap but true. You'd be better off to have it painted than spend the money on crap.

stock rocks!!!:D

A Ninja Boot
Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
So what is for budget for your stickers? $.50 at the local grocery store?

Calkidd
Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
So what is for budget for your stickers? $.50 at the local grocery store?I get my stickers out of the red dispensers towards the front of the store.

Jester
Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Or wait till Cycle Gear has a blow-out.

yoageallen
Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Between 1 and 2 thousand dollars depending how much paint is needed. You can find the decals on E bay for most applications. Just installing the decals took 2 full days on Bonk's 996.

hippylong
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
1 to 2 thousand is more than the cost of my last 3 bikes...
guess ill spray bomb it..

keep it cheep.
LoBudget

hippylong
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
i must say your bikes look great...
i dig the theme bikes.
hipp

yoageallen
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Low budget it is not. For about 100 bucks you can buy decals and put them on your self with no clearcoat or painted stripes.

GSXR888
Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately, the aftermarket bodywork is crap, I've seen them. :( I'll stick with OEM. ;)

+1 the stuff from Acumarts blows, definatly a few notches lower in quality for sure. i.e they melt and warp.

CBR888

Wile_E_Coyote
Apr 24th, 2008, 10:54 AM
+1 the stuff from Acumarts blows, definatly a few notches lower in quality for sure. i.e they melt and warp.

One of the guys on the 1000rr.net board received a new generation fairing set for free from Auctmarts. It has new heat shielding and a few other things. He loved it. A bunch of guys from that site were hooking that stuff up. The nice thing about the Honda fairing kits is that they also come with the tank (since it's plastic).

If you have a bike like mine then you need a new tank, or you paint the existing one.

I also saw a nice 600RR at Buttonwillow with the Konica Minolta scheme. It looked good.

kidmoua
Apr 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I also saw a nice 600RR at Buttonwillow with the Konica Minolta scheme. It looked good.

that thing does look nice

seDUCtive
Apr 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM

That was one clean looking bike!

GSXR888
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:03 PM
One of the guys on the 1000rr.net board received a new generation fairing set for free from Auctmarts. It has new heat shielding and a few other things. He loved it. A bunch of guys from that site were hooking that stuff up. The nice thing about the Honda fairing kits is that they also come with the tank (since it's plastic).

If you have a bike like mine then you need a new tank, or you paint the existing one.

Remember that silver set that came with my bike and how bad the right mid panel warped from the heat from the engine? They would make a fun set of track plastic though.

CBR888

Toecutter
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM
My next paint job's gonna be white, mostly....

For visibility, ya know?

Bonkers
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:17 PM

For visibility, ya know?

Yea White works great in the Valley Fog :)

ducbill996
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:23 PM

For visibility, ya know?

cagers pull out in front of us cause they aren't paying attention... my super bright yellow ducati still wasn't visible enough for some cause they STILL pulled out in front of me!!! don't worry about using bright paint, it doesn't work in most cases...

GSXR888
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:34 PM
The guys that painted their bikes flat black with the sponsorship decals at BW was cool. They look like the factory Winter test bikes, there was one guy with a R1 painted like that and had the number 41 up front ala Haga :D

CBR888

Wile_E_Coyote
Apr 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Remember that silver set that came with my bike and how bad the right mid panel warped from the heat from the engine? They would make a fun set of track plastic though.

Yeah, a few of the 1000RR guys had the same problem. They just added extra heat shield and reported no problems after that. Then Auctmarts came out with a new setup, which is what I was referring to. I mean come on, you can't beat that price. And for sure, great track plastics.

Wile_E_Coyote
Apr 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
The guys that painted their bikes flat black with the sponsorship decals at BW was cool. They look like the factory Winter test bikes, there was one guy with a R1 painted like that and had the number 41 up front ala Haga :D

I liked the '05 1000RR with the flat black body work and the RC211V tail. He had the plain white Repsol sticker. That was nice and looked very much like Repsol Honda's winter test livery. When I came up to pass him that bike was loud!

GSXR888
Apr 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I liked the '05 1000RR with the flat black body work and the RC211V tail. He had the plain white Repsol sticker. That was nice and looked very much like Repsol Honda's winter test livery. When I came up to pass him that bike was loud!

+1 that bike was sweeeeet! wonder where he got the tail from?

CBR888

Toecutter
Apr 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
don't worry about using bright paint, it doesn't work in most cases...I dunno, my white helmet and ST profile garners me quite a surprising amount of respect out on the highway....

I never count on another vehicle to do (or not do) something in order for me to not crash.

Yea White works great in the Valley Fog :)
That's what these are for....

hippylong
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:13 AM
So ,
Is there no one in fresno that can offer me a cheap team themed paint job?
my idea is like the old scwantz lucky strike suzuki but different colors and my TeamLobudget as replacement for the lucky strike stuff.
all the little sponsor stuffis ava.as stickers it's got to be kinda easy for a painter person..
i need fiberglass repair at the hand pockets.

here is a quick sample(crappy one)
also it will be a dual headlight 1989gsxr .
also in a side note...

how do i remove the old paint off it.?
chems.?
elbow grease?
pay neighbor?

Thanks..
Hipp

Devlausdan
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM
cagers pull out in front of us cause they aren't paying attention... my super bright yellow ducati still wasn't visible enough for some cause they STILL pulled out in front of me!!! don't worry about using bright paint, it doesn't work in most cases...

You need LEDs like Calicronic. And get some neon lights underneath.

Devlausdan
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Adrian, do you own a body shop? Do you paint? I just want to have some options.

yoageallen
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I do paint and body work at home in my garage. I do not own a body shop. I can give you options though. Would be as shame to get rid of that beautiful copper color.

Devlausdan
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I do paint and body work at home in my garage. I do not own a body shop. I can give you options though. Would be as shame to get rid of that beautiful copper color.

It's been sanded down. I only work on the bike 2-3 hours per night after work, so I still have 3-4 pieces left to sand and water sand. But more than likely, it's going to go all black. I like the all black but it wasn't an available color in the USA in 2007.

Question: After water sanding the flairings. Primer is next, and then another session of water sanding the primer. But do I water sand the paint once it's laid on or don't? Do lay the paint and lay the clear coat first before I water sand the clear coat follow by a bluff finish? I wasn't sure if I needed to water sand in between the paint and the clear coat process.

Also, I don't think I'm stickering the bike at all, but some guys do. If I do, do you recommend stickering the stickers on top of the finish clear coat or you like spraying the clear coat over the stickers and embedding it into the paint? Only problem I see with that is it become permanent.

Thanks for any advise.

yoageallen
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:50 AM
It's been sanded down. I only work on the bike 2-3 hours per night after work, so I still have 3-4 pieces left to sand and water sand. But more than likely, it's going to go all black. I like the all black but it wasn't an available color in the USA in 2007.

Question: After water sanding the flairings. Primer is next, and then another session of water sanding the primer. But do I water sand the paint once it's laid on or don't? Do lay the paint and lay the clear coat first before I water sand the clear coat follow by a bluff finish? I wasn't sure if I needed to water sand in between the paint and the clear coat process.

Also, I don't think I'm stickering the bike at all, but some guys do. If I do, do you recommend stickering the stickers on top of the finish clear coat or you like spraying the clear coat over the stickers and embedding it into the paint? Only problem I see with that is it become permanent.

Thanks for any advise.

I assume you have sanded and repaired the damaged areas. Sand the areas to be primed with 180 grit paper and the red scotch brite the rest of the panel with some soap and water. Primer the area and the sand with 240 grit then reprime if needed. final sand with 400 grit paper to prep for sealer or base coat. When you spray base coat you only need to sand imperfections like a piece of dirt or something that was missed during prep. When that is dry the clear coat can be applied. The clear is applied in two coats. When the clear is dry for a day or so you can sand and polish any imperfections in the clear with 1000 to 2000 grit sand paper and polish with a buffer. If you want decals don't apply them for a couple of weeks if you don't want to clear them. If you want to clear them, sand the panel with 1000 grit paper and make sure they are super clean. Then apply the decals and make sure they are totally stuck down. Peeling edges are a nightmare when cleared! Then apply the clear coat again as the first time. This is the short version of how to do this. Good luck!

hippylong
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM
cool, thanks for the education.

Hipp

Devlausdan
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I assume you have sanded and repaired the damaged areas. Sand the areas to be primed with 180 grit paper and the red scotch brite the rest of the panel with some soap and water. Primer the area and the sand with 240 grit then reprime if needed. final sand with 400 grit paper to prep for sealer or base coat. When you spray base coat you only need to sand imperfections like a piece of dirt or something that was missed during prep. When that is dry the clear coat can be applied. The clear is applied in two coats. When the clear is dry for a day or so you can sand and polish any imperfections in the clear with 1000 to 2000 grit sand paper and polish with a buffer. If you want decals don't apply them for a couple of weeks if you don't want to clear them. If you want to clear them, sand the panel with 1000 grit paper and make sure they are super clean. Then apply the decals and make sure they are totally stuck down. Peeling edges are a nightmare when cleared! Then apply the clear coat again as the first time. This is the short version of how to do this. Good luck!

Thanks... I started with 80, 120, 220, and now I'm on 320 grit. Thanks for the valuable advice. I really appreciate it. I didn't know I needed to go to 1000 grit.

kidmoua
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Good luck Dan. Let me know if you need a supervisor. I'm really good at supervising.