PDA

View Full Version : This is why I ride WSIR

Devlausdan
Mar 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM
For those who thinks the big track at Willows isn't fun because it's not smaller and more technical like bw or sow, check this video out. This dude is fast. Carring speeds of 99 mph through turn 1, 110 into turn 2 and grabbing hand full of brakes, 86 mph to 90 going into turn 5, 140+mph through turn 8 and 9. Just look a the speedo.

The speed itself gives the track a different level of technical aspect.

This video is exactly why Big Willow is so fun.
And this is why Big Willow scares me.

Green concrete wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCtAt0qM8A0&feature=player_embedded

CBR600RIDA
Mar 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM
DAMN

kidmoua
Mar 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
ouch.. that jolly green giant is not forgiving at all..

McLuvin_R1
Mar 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I caught myself leaning left, right. I was into it! Then bam he crashes at about 40MPH. He went into the dirt at 100 MPH DAMN!

I am taping my speedo and gonna have fun on the 19th. I will run 2 go pro's on my bike cause you know me and crashing lately ;)

JonJon
Mar 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Too bad 90% of the video is speedometer and sky.

GsxR1000Ryda
Mar 10th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I caught myself leaning left, right. I was into it! Then bam he crashes at about 40MPH. He went into the dirt at 100 MPH DAMN!

I am taping my speedo and gonna have fun on the 19th. I will run 2 go pro's on my bike cause you know me and crashing lately ;)

thats some bad juju brada

McLuvin_R1
Mar 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM
thats some bad juju brada

juju is like carma? or bad luck? :confused2:

Im

SOUN1
Mar 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I love that track (as slow as I am) and want to get back ASAP!!! I also like to do Infinion and Thunder Hill....I'm targeting laguna Sega also (maybe)....

Zamora
Mar 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM
That's my friend Carl who wrecked awhile back. He is one of the fastest guys I ride with and ever ridden with. He's doing much better now:D FYI, I posted this video awhile back when he first posted it up. It's already been floating around a bunch of forums I see:D

McLuvin_R1
Mar 10th, 2010, 06:39 PM
That's my friend Carl who wrecked awhile back. He is one of the fastest guys I ride with and ever ridden with. He's doing much better now:D FYI, I posted this video awhile back when he first posted it up. It's already been floating around a bunch of forums I see:D

What class was he riding in? So what were the circumstances of the crash. Do you know?

GsxR1000Ryda
Mar 10th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I remember during the riding introduction class, Poach specifically said, If you come off of turn 8 or 9, ditch the bike. Thats exactly what I would of done in that situation

Calkidd
Mar 10th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I appears as he was passing another bike in turn 8 there was another bike that was moving to the outside to pass. It looks like this ran Carl too wide where he was unable to make turn 9.

sPAnKy1600
Mar 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Looks like he was running low 20's.... That's Haulin Balls!!!

Devlausdan
Mar 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM
What class was he riding in? So what were the circumstances of the crash. Do you know?

Once you go to WSIR a few times and know the track, you can tell from his speed, shift points, braking, and corner speed that he had to be in A if this was a track day.

This dude had to be running in the 20s. That's smoking fast. That's racer fast.

Devlausdan
Mar 10th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I remember during the riding introduction class, Poach specifically said, If you come off of turn 8 or 9, ditch the bike. Thats exactly what I would of done in that situation

Yeah, there's plenty of runoffs at WSIR. But at speeds of 140, them runoffs disappears real fast.

Devlausdan
Mar 10th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I appears as he was passing another bike in turn 8 there was another bike that was moving to the outside to pass. It looks like this ran Carl too wide where he was unable to make turn 9.

Yeah he was. He was passing on the outside when the inside bike came up on him and pushed him wide. It can easily spook anyone when another bike comes up on you at 140 mph. That 40 foot wide track is no longer that wide at 140. Passing on the outside can be both an art of beauty or dangerous if you're force out.

KDOG
Mar 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Wow, he was going pretty fast then that crash.

Calkidd
Mar 11th, 2010, 07:08 AM
When you guys said he was running 20's what do you think is a good time? Put it this way Lowery, Tigert and other's run 24's, just to give you an idea. Our very own Speedjunkie run's 28's.

Wile_E_Coyote
Mar 11th, 2010, 09:05 AM
When you guys said he was running 20's what do you think is a good time? Put it this way Lowery, Tigert and other's run 24's, just to give you an idea. Our very own Speedjunkie run's 28's.

Tigert, Toye et al run like 22's and 21's.

Chris Ulrich ran a 22.1 in the January race...

Calkidd
Mar 11th, 2010, 09:35 AM

Excuse me, I stand corrected.

kidmoua
Mar 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM
and Shane will be running in the 10s when he does his first track day there this year

sPAnKy1600
Mar 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM

:+1: I'm not sure if he'll post on this thread. But I remember overhearing that Quigly ran a 22 last year. I'm almost positive it was a 22.

Blakester
Mar 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I met that dude out at willow before, way cool dude. I had heard he crashed but damn didn't know it was that bad. He actually got lucky that wall is a bish..:(

GrizFyrFyter
Mar 12th, 2010, 11:14 AM
i did my first trackday there in spetember. it was a freaking blast.

i remember one of the a group guys telling me to tip into turn 8 at 140...:weirdface: no thanks, i was on pure adrenaling tipping in at 110.

aaw749r
Mar 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
i did my first trackday there in spetember. it was a freaking blast.

i remember one of the a group guys telling me to tip into turn 8 at 140...:weirdface: no thanks, i was on pure adrenaling tipping in at 110.

It has been said that if you know what you are doing you can go into 8 at 160!:jaw::scared:

sincalirider
Mar 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM
It has been said that if you know what you are doing you can go into 8 at 160!:jaw::scared:

I've been out (spectate) there but had no idea they were running that fast! That's just insane

Devlausdan
Mar 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I've been out (spectate) there but had no idea they were running that fast! That's just insane

As a spectator, the track looks very wide and riders look like they're going slow. When in fact, when you're on the track, you're moving rather fast. And at those speeds, that wide track isn't so wide.

aaw749r
Mar 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM

When you come out of 5 just keep it pinned until you need to slow down for 9. It's just that easy!

GsxR1000Ryda
Mar 12th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Thats about how fast I passed you down the back straight! :D

Devlausdan
Mar 12th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Thats about how fast I passed you down the back straight! :D

What are you smoking?

l8-apex
Mar 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM
When you come out of 5 just keep it pinned until you need to slow down for 9. It's just that easy!

I had to get in on this thread because it brought back such 'fond' memories of racing at willow (made my heart rate increase just thinking about it). 'Keep it pinned' is exactly right; at least it was on my R6 at the time. It took me a long tiime to figure out how to get through 8 because my bike would understeer, push and have front end chatter no matter what I did with the suspension. Once I got the 'head' to hold the throttle open and tip into 8 the bike suddenly held a line through there (I would guess it was around 140 or so). When you get 8 right it is a religous experience.

Zamora
Mar 15th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Carl was running in A class when at the time of his accident. I posted in an old thread of what happend in the accident from what he remembers. I'll try to look for that thread, I even posted up a couple pictures of the aftermath

GrizFyrFyter
Mar 16th, 2010, 05:38 PM
When you get 8 right it is a religous experience.

im putting this in my FB "quote for the day" notes. lol

Devlausdan
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:46 PM
When you get 8 right it is a religous experience.

Thank you...

Wile_E_Coyote
Mar 24th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Excuse me, I stand corrected.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=39816

Thought you'd appreciate this. You'll note from the article that Karl Lowry ran a 1:21.798 on his Graves R6... Dang!

Calkidd
Mar 24th, 2010, 09:35 AM
One of these days I need to head out there and watch these animals.

Wile_E_Coyote
Mar 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. These guys can seriously get it on.

Ride down to WSIR and take in the races.

JonJon
Mar 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. These guys can seriously get it on.

Ride down to WSIR and take in the races.

Let me know when you guys do this, I'd love to tag along and watch.

Calkidd
Mar 24th, 2010, 09:49 AM
When is the next race?

Wile_E_Coyote
Mar 24th, 2010, 09:54 AM
April 18th. I think it's usually the third sunday of the month.

trackpimp
Mar 30th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I've seen this video on several forums.. I still say it looks like he could have made the turn, but decided to stand it up anyway..

All I can think of there is Danny Farnsworth (former WSMC Race Director/NRS instructor) telling us NOT to do that.. and whatever you do, DON'T HIT THE BERM!

This rider hit the berm and was into the wall. He's lucky he's alive.. and he's also lucky he's not consuming his meals through an IV. I'm just saying!

Quig
Apr 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM
:+1: I'm not sure if he'll post on this thread. But I remember overhearing that Quigly ran a 22 last year. I'm almost positive it was a 22.

Who's this Quigley character? :confused2:

My fastest lap out there is 1:23.1. I'm in the low 24's a lot and in the 23's when I'm on my game. I sure hope to put it in the 22's soon but we'll see.

The uber-'FAST' guys (Toye, Tigert, Lowry, Ulrich, Anthony) have been in the 20's (1:20.xx) when the conditions permit lately. It's basically them, a few guys that do 22's and then a few of us that do 23's all battling it out!

:D

And I think he could have made the turn, he got spooked at ran off in 8 which is A L W A Y S a bad idea. As Dustin said, if you go off in 8 or 9 you're going to have to ditch the bike. Period. Glad the dude is ok.

sPAnKy1600
Apr 8th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Who's this Quigley character? :confused2:

My fastest lap out there is 1:23.1. I'm in the low 24's a lot and in the 23's when I'm on my game. I sure hope to put it in the 22's soon but we'll see.

The uber-'FAST' guys (Toye, Tigert, Lowry, Ulrich, Anthony) have been in the 20's (1:20.xx) when the conditions permit lately. It's basically them, a few guys that do 22's and then a few of us that do 23's all battling it out!

:D

And I think he could have made the turn, he got spooked at ran off in 8 which is A L W A Y S a bad idea. As Dustin said, if you go off in 8 or 9 you're going to have to ditch the bike. Period. Glad the dude is ok.

I knew it was somewhere close to that... I remember you and scott talking about it the day you rode the triumph.

Calkidd
Apr 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I knew it was somewhere close to that... I remember you and scott talking about it the day you rode the triumph.
Do you go out to the races often? I keep meaning to head out and watch the big boys play.

sPAnKy1600
Apr 8th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Do you go out to the races often? I keep meaning to head out and watch the big boys play.

No I was pitted with scott at buttonwillow a few months back. I'm prolly gonna head out to Sears at least once on a race weekend and check out the AFM dudes...

poach
Apr 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM
check out the AFM dude...

Yeah, we know which one....:pound:

GsxR1000Ryda
Apr 9th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, we know which one....:pound:

:flamethrower::flame:

poach
Apr 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
:flamethrower::flame:

Nah, no flame job.

I'm just jealous of Call's speed/talent.

Any Spank's undying affection for him.:D

sPAnKy1600
Apr 9th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Nah, no flame job.

I'm just jealous of Call's speed/talent.

Any Spank's undying affection for him.:D

:rolleyes:

Calkidd
Apr 9th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Cory Call? (http://www.speedwaybikes.com/rw/ucory_c.htm)

speedjunkie
Apr 9th, 2010, 11:29 AM
you guys really should go check out a race weekend.

its a lot of fun

that 1:21 karl did on the r6 was insane. he does better on the r6 then the r1 sometimes.

im gonna try to go out for the april race. not for sure yet since budget is super tight. but for sure go check it out.

that track is all about front end confidence.

under a 1:30 is moving pretty good.
under 1:25 is friggin fast
under 1:22 is rediculous

Calkidd
Apr 9th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Cory Call? (http://www.speedwaybikes.com/rw/ucory_c.htm)
Yep I think that is him.....Does he even know you exist?

American riders Cory Call and Scott Hoffman of SuperMoto Racer Magazine joke with Craig in between main events in Mettet, Belgium.

sPAnKy1600
Apr 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Yep I think that is him.....Does he even know you exist?

yes dude... my buddy met with him at the san mateo bike show and told him i was his #1 fan! :P

GsxR1000Ryda
Apr 9th, 2010, 11:45 AM
yes dude... my buddy met with him at the san mateo bike show and told him i was his #1 fan! :P

How would Cory do running against the AMA road racers?

poach
Apr 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM
How would Cory do running against the AMA road racers?

Once he dialed in all the tracks...pretty dang well I'd wager...

GsxR1000Ryda
Apr 9th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Once he dialed in all the tracks...pretty dang well I'd wager...

So does that mean he'll be racing AMA soon?

poach
Apr 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
No idea...

Maybe you can ask spank if he'll ask his buddy if he'll ask Call...lol

sPAnKy1600
Apr 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM
He placed 11th at infineon in ama superbike class... all he had was a quick shifter and a leo vince pipe. He did a stoppie down the cork screw at laguna during practice last year... Usually his finishes at the CA ama races are between 10th and 16th... On a Production bike..

Calkidd
Apr 9th, 2010, 02:18 PM
He placed 11th at infineon in ama superbike class... all he had was a quick shifter and a leo vince pipe. He did a stoppie down the cork screw at laguna during practice last year... Usually his finishes at the CA ama races are between 10th and 16th... On a Production bike..
This is what gets me. Cory is ungodly fast and running 11th place. Just think how fast the top 5 guys are going. Unfriggenbelievable.