PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

WhiteHotGSXR
Oct 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM
When i am on the track, the bike seems to get stuck in neutral coming out of a turn and going from 1st to 2nd. I am thinking that it could be that the clutch has never been changed.

I was wondering, when i go in to a shop to get a clutch, If you guys can tell me what i should ask for.

I have done some research and found a whole bunch of different things and dont know what to go with and i figured you guys(and girls) know what you are talking about.

2003 GSX-600R

BlooDSMeaR
Oct 15th, 2009, 01:58 PM
dont get a race clutch :) not worth the problems

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Does it slip under acceleration? You might just not be kicking it in gear fully. Easy to do actually especially from 1st to 2nd. Ive gone through atleast 4 clutches on my 600 and each and every time I needed one, trust me, You can tell.

kidmoua
Oct 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM
people still use clutch to upshift ? ?

WhiteHotGSXR
Oct 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
no i dont think that it is slipping during acceleration but it seems that when i go from first to second it stays neutral then when i am holding the clutch in and try to click it up into second the second time it clicks really awful so i have to wait till the bike and motor slow to upshift.

hope that makes sense.

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
no i dont think that it is slipping during acceleration but it seems that when i go from first to second it stays neutral then when i am holding the clutch in and try to click it up into second the second time it clicks really awful so i have to wait till the bike and motor slow to upshift.

hope that makes sense.

It almost sounds to me that your just not getting the full shift into 2nd. Do you notice this only at the track or every day riding too. Maybe since the adrenaline is pumping and your to focus on lines and other riders you weren't kicking it in gear enough. I know that clicking/rattling sound your talking about and it happens to me every so often but its only when Im not fully in the right gear.

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
When your clutch plates need to be replaced the most noticeable thing is slipping under acceleration. When you gun it, you'll hear the motor whine up, RPM's climb but you wont actually accelerate.

chromefonica
Oct 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
it is normal for that bike. everyone that i have talked to with that year gsxr says the same thing. i have the same problem sometimes. you just have to jam it in 2nd.

SF Boyz
Oct 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM

hope that makes sense.

oh I think i get what your saying...lemme explain if this is correct...

you riding and you try to shift up but it kicks into neutral instead of engaging into second gear....since your already rolling like 40mph+ you grab the clutch and try to shift into second gear....when you do crrrrack( its sounds aweful) does this sound right??? If it is then dont worry its OPERATOR ERROR. Just use your foot and fully engage into second. Its not you it happens to everyone. I believe the only way to get out of this scenerio is de-acclerate and come to a slower speed and then shift up so you dont screw up your tranny. Just remember that from 1st to 2 has a longer throw.

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
If your not already, trying running A full synthetic oil and should make your shifting smoother.

WhiteHotGSXR
Oct 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
oh I think i get what your saying...lemme explain if this is correct...

you riding and you try to shift up but it kicks into neutral instead of engaging into second gear....since your already rolling like 40mph+ you grab the clutch and try to shift into second gear....when you do crrrrack( its sounds aweful) does this sound right??? If it is then dont worry its OPERATOR ERROR. Just use your foot and fully engage into second. Its not you it happens to everyone. I believe the only way to get out of this scenerio is de-acclerate and come to a slower speed and then shift up so you dont screw up your tranny. Just remember that from 1st to 2 has a longer throw.

you are exactly right. i guess i will just have to start pulling on it harder. but i am glad to hear that there is nothing wrong with the bike and it is just me.

thanks to all that helped, i have full synthetic and i will continue to use it.

thanks again, i love this forum.

Calkidd
Oct 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I am assuming you are running standard shift pattern. Try to lower your shifting lever about 1/4" and that should help you out. All that you are doing, as it has been repeated several times already, is not lifting your toe far enough thus not engaging second gear.

Your shifting star is just that it is shaped like a star. In between the first and second gear detente is a flat portion of the star (if you will) neutral. If you don't lift your foot high enough your bike goes in to neutral, there is also "false neutrals" but that is another topic. By lowering your shifting lever you, in theory, do not have to lift your toe as far to shift in the next year.

The clunking noise and feel you are getting is because you are trying to engage a slower moving gear into a faster moving gear. Next time blip the throttle with the clutch engaged and then shift in to the next higher gear. This will get the gears closer in sync.

CRASH972
Oct 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM
You may want to adj. your shift lever.

Calkidd
Oct 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
You may want to adj. your shift lever.

:rolleyes: Why does that sound familiar?

Oh yeah....

Try to lower your shifting lever about 1/4" and that should help you out.

SF Boyz
Oct 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM
oh yeah assuming you havn't touched the shift lever...but yes if you have removed the shift lever make sure its in its right spot even one notch can throw you off. Thanks calkidd and crash for bringing that up.

SF Boyz
Oct 15th, 2009, 06:02 PM
you are exactly right. i guess i will just have to start pulling on it harder. but i am glad to hear that there is nothing wrong with the bike and it is just me.

thanks to all that helped, i have full synthetic and i will continue to use it.

thanks again, i love SF BOYZ.

correction hahahhahaha

chromefonica
Oct 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
i agree about the shift lever adjustment. i did mine that way too, but i did it so i could do stand up shifter wheelies. but i haven't had a problem with my second gear since.

Calkidd
Oct 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM
i agree about the shift lever adjustment. i did mine that way too, but i did it so i could do stand up shifter wheelies. but i haven't had a problem with my second gear since.
Yuuuttuugggghhh

WhiteHotGSXR
Oct 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Yuuuttuugggghhh

i see this alot what does this mean?

Red Wasp
Oct 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Yuuuttuugggghhh

I think its just cop lingo....no one really understands thier jargin....:D

CRASH972
Oct 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
:rolleyes: Why does that sound familiar?

Oh yeah....

Hey, so I'm a slow typer.
Quit picking on the :shortbus:

training_wheelz
Oct 16th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Yuuuttuugggghhh

i see this alot what does this mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4F94DnATY

WhiteHotGSXR
Oct 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM
You gotta love craigslitst lol

Calkidd
Oct 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I think its just cop lingo....no one really understands thier jargin....:D
Negative Ghost Rider....

hippylong
Oct 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM
adjust your shifter pedal .
if your clutch is not slipping it's working fine.
remember it's a long throw from 1st to 2nd on most bikes..
and in race seating you ride differently than normal..

Phentos
Oct 18th, 2009, 01:39 AM
IDK bout you guys but i usually just go 1st -> 6th usually