PDA

View Full Version : Good wheel cleaner?

spymac
Oct 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
My wheels have accumulated quite a bit of black road grime that the carwash soap can't seem get off. Any suggestions for a good, safe wheel cleaner? What should I look for...

Red Wasp
Oct 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Well if you talking about the rims I find that "GUNK" works very well on all most anything with grease or grime on it or simple green is a second less harsh option.

CBR600RIDA
Oct 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Paint striper
itl take it all off

Oct 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM
WD40 anyone?

sergioeortega
Oct 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
wd40 or carburator cleaner,first try in a small spot .

rated_r1
Oct 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I have grime on my wheels, they r powder coated I tried Mirachem, wd40 and some rubbing compound, doesn't come off...

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 9th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Wd40 sprayed on a rag

Quino
Oct 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I recently tried this. My wheels are polished but with powder coated spokes.

SXV 550
Oct 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
My wheels have accumulated quite a bit of black road grime that the carwash soap can't seem get off. Any suggestions for a good, safe wheel cleaner? What should I look for...

None of it will take all the grime off without brushing it after cleaner soaks a little. Once really clean and polished, spraying often and NOT letting build up and they work pretty well just spray and hose off.........As someone mentioned WD40, it will clean chain crud off chain, spokes and wheels and hubs etc, with a brush scrubbing. Not hard but have to loosen the caked on stuff............

Sticka
Oct 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM
WD40....nah....
From another forum...

Some of you might appreciate this. Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.