PDA

View Full Version : Rain tires?!!

mrlopez
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:48 PM
So looking at a good deal on a set of pirrelli rain tires for my yamaha, but no idea what to expect from a rain tire on the street, well they run hot? Would they worn out fast? Etc.

poach
Sep 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I don't think they're legal for street use.

That being said, unless it's so wet that you're throwing a 6ft roost...they'll likely be toast before you get to humphry's station.

poach
Sep 30th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Reg street tires are your best bet imo. DOT race rubber kinda scary in the wet...

mrlopez
Sep 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Ok here's the tires can you tell what exactly they are wet, full rain??
http://www.thumpertalk.com/classifieds/data/34/large/100_1427.JPG

poach
Sep 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I can't tell you with 100% certainty that those not full rains. But they don't look like the full rains I've seen. They almost look like some kind of class C tire. Let me poke around a little...

poach
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Here's a link to the pirelli site...and a pic of the diablo rains...http://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/Tyre%20Diablo%20Rain%20Race%20PD.php?cat=tyres&page=1

Thay don't look anything like the tire you posted. Maybe the tire you posted is some kind of intermediate rain.

I'll poke around some more...

poach
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
13x link...http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=215708

Again, nothing like the pix you posted...

mrlopez
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks appreciated the help Poach

Calkidd
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Maybe the tire you posted is some kind of intermediate rain....This is my vote. I saw a set similar to what you posted and the rider mentioned about it being some type of rain tire, but not a full rain. If there is such a thing.

WhiteHotGSXR
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM
it dosent rain out here!!!!!!

mrlopez
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Well forgot to mention that they supermoto tires I belive Not sure if it would make a difference

mrlopez
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:12 PM
it dosent rain out here!!!!!!

Think I can go more off road with this if you know what I mean :confused2: :D

poach
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I think what ya got there is some kind of intermediate. Not a bad idea I guess. Maybe better performance than a street tire in semi wet conditions, and will last much much longer that a full wet.

Here's a link with a pic of a pirelli intermediate...http://www.racersupply.com/productsAll.asp?subtype=INTERMEDIATE

ES13Raven
Sep 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Pilot Road 2s (2ct) did very well on wet roads in independent testing. They have Pilot Power material on the sides for great grip and Pilot Road material in the center to last longer.

Might be the kind of tire you are looking for.

I will try and find the link later.

mrlopez
Sep 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Pilot Road 2s (2ct) did very well on wet roads in independent testing. They have Pilot Power material on the sides for great grip and Pilot Road material in the center to last longer.

Might be the kind of tire you are looking for.

I will try and find the link later.

No not planning rideing on rain, it just that I found a good deal on a set of rain tires for my WR, but I have no idea what to expect weather they worth getting them or I'm just going to be dissapoint it because they may not do that good on the street.

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:28 PM
dude, buy those tires. The next time it rains, you hop on your WR, full leathers with rain tires and go have your self a BLAST!!!

mrlopez
Sep 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM
dude, buy those tires. The next time it rains, you hop on your WR, full leathers with rain tires and go have your self a BLAST!!!

Lmao sure sounds like fun, but I have no experience on rain will see I may still get them

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Lmao sure sounds like fun, but I have no experience on rain will see I may still get them

Well there you go, Get em just for that reason. Ive put in many hours in the rain, not because i wanted to but had no choice.

mrlopez
Sep 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Well there you go, Get em just for that reason. Ive put in many hours in the rain, not because i wanted to but had no choice.

What if poach it's right if they end up being full rain tires they won't last me to humprey station and that's pretty close just to go and drop money away lol

poach
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:27 AM
What if poach it's right if they end up being full rain tires

Poach said they're def not full rains. More likely an intermediate of some sort. They look exactly like the class C tire I use for flat track...

mrlopez
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:35 AM
Poach said they're def not full rains. More likely an intermediate of some sort. They look exactly like the class C tire I use for flat track...

Intermediate? Class C? What does that mean for street use?

poach
Oct 1st, 2009, 09:50 AM
Intermediate? Class C? What does that mean for street use?

An intermediate rain tire won't provide the same grip as a full rain tire in full wet conditions. However an intermediate rain tire will last much longer than a full rain tire in conditions that are dryer than full wet conditions.

Don't worry about the class C thing...I only mentioned it because the tread pattern in the pic of the used tires you're looking at are very similar "looking" to the class C tires we use when flat tracking.

I have no idea regarding the legality of running a full rain, intermediate rain, or class C tire on public roads.

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 1st, 2009, 09:53 AM
Poach, you should run your 450 at the Caruthers flat track races this weekend

Joe Average
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM
isn't there some type of name beside pirelli molded into the side of the tires? that should help in figuring out they're intended job.

poach
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Poach, you should run your 450 at the Caruthers flat track races this weekend

I won't even touch a motorcycle in Oct...:(

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
I won't even touch a motorcycle in Oct...:(

Thats cool, I'll take your bike(s) out for the time being. We wouldn't want them to feel neglected, would we?!

kidmoua
Oct 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM
any street stire should be fine in the rain, just easy up on the wrist

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
any street stire should be fine in the rain, just easy up on the wrist

and put it in C mode!

poach
Oct 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM
Thats cool, I'll take your bike(s) out for the time being. We wouldn't want them to feel neglected, would we?!

Appreciate your concern. But I could never allow a proud slowzuki man to dilute his values by riding kawis. hondas, and bmw's. Your sacrifice would be too great, and my conscious would suffer...:D

GsxR1000Ryda
Oct 1st, 2009, 01:15 PM
Appreciate your concern. But I could never allow a proud slowzuki man to dilute his values by riding kawis. hondas, and bmw's. Your sacrifice would be too great, and my conscious would suffer...:D

completely understandable :evilgrin0013:

mrlopez
Oct 1st, 2009, 01:15 PM

Ouch!! Slowzuki!!! Burn baby burn :popcorn: