PDA

View Full Version : Pipe rivets, where do you get them

MikeinFresno
Sep 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Ive used the alum ones from the local store, the SS from the local store, etc.
They never seem to be just the right size and length to hold the end caps tight. They work loose or cut thru after a few rides. Anyone have a source for the correct rivets? Do the pipe makers sell them?

rated_r1
Sep 26th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I found a good trick is put a small washer on the inside of the exhaust where the rivet will go through. Then put the rivet in and pop it.... I make many race baffles for stock exhaust now, when I put the small washers the cap is tight. Or if the person dosent mind I cut the exhaust back a 1/4in back from the current holes. Then ill drill new small holes. This works good as well... I have found I can never get the same sized rivets to hold as good as the way it came from factory.

MikeinFresno
Sep 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM
and how do you hold the washer in the pipe?

katanabrett
Sep 26th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Most the time if you call the mfg. They will send you some of the o.e.m. ones for little or no cost.

rated_r1
Sep 26th, 2009, 11:12 PM
If ur finger fits n and up you can hold the washer, if not ur s.o.l. Best bet we cut our exhaust back just a tad and drill new holes...

MikeinFresno
Sep 27th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Im calling a pipe maker tomorrow, that seems the easiest to get the RIGHT rivets, other people have given me sources to buy them once a find the right size from the maker.

Sticka
Sep 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Im calling a pipe maker tomorrow, that seems the easiest to get the RIGHT rivets, other people have given me sources to buy them once a find the right size from the maker.

I don't know about others but I know that Yosh will supply rivets for their mufflers.

Calkidd
Sep 28th, 2009, 10:00 AM
"pop" rivets come in a variety of sizes and lengths. I can't imagine you can not find the right one for your application. Have you tried your local hardware store?

SOUN1
Sep 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Use the SS, if you need too, just drilled it a different size (hole) and use a larger revets..If you use the mfg. you'll end up with the sam problem..

aaw749r
Sep 28th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Mid Valley Distributors

The guys behind the counter are not the most helpfull but they will have what you need.

MikeinFresno
Sep 28th, 2009, 05:47 PM
have not tried mid valley, done the rest and they come in standard sizes at the hardware places. I looked up the PMB site and they also use bolts so Im gonna look at drill n tap for this as well.