PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Safari

MikeinFresno
Sep 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM
went last year, taking my wife this year. Lots of miles for a dirt bke rider, not so much for a dual sport kinda guy. Easy loops and harder loops. They had a couple of kids that did it too. Its time to sign up.

http://dickallenssierrasafari.com/

MikeinFresno
Sep 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
So far two couples going, YEE HAWW!! Might have to stop on the trail side to take a BREAK!! :evilgrin0013:

Chip
Sep 24th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hey Mike. Just found you on here. Still have that tire if you want it. Also, are these prices for this ride per rider or per couple?

MikeinFresno
Sep 24th, 2009, 10:37 PM
still would like the tire, need to get a pipe from Monti too, call me when you are home if you still have my number. The price is per rider. Almost everything is provided. You have to buy gas a couple of times and lunch one day.

MikeinFresno
Sep 25th, 2009, 07:28 PM
got the new rear tires on and the RAM mount for my Garmin on there too. Now have to do front tires, oil, filters and my valves. One more week of things to do and be ready early. Hoping for high country rain.

C.Petty
Sep 27th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Which Garmin do you use? Which maps? I'm seriously considering a new unit, probably a 60csx, but I am also looking at the DeLorme PN-40. They would see double duty as a hiking unit also.

MikeinFresno
Sep 27th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I had a 60 and it was stolen from my room, probly by my kids friends.
I hunt with a group of guys that have the Rino 530. It will locate others in your group on the map and has a 5w radio. I got it due to this radio and locate feature. The 60 is $279 mail order and this one is $312 after $50 rebate good til end of Sept. I like it, its way cool. Dont have all the maps yet tho.

MikeinFresno
Oct 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Well, we did it. 335 mi in 3 days. Day one Mammoth to Hawthorne, day 2 Hawthorne to Bridgeport/Bodie/Hawthorne, day 3 Hawthorne to Mammoth by 50% dfferent trails. Saw wild horses, deer, rivers in the middle of the desert, etc.

Hit 85mph on one long dirt road out of the mountains for a few then thot I better slow down so nothing breaks on my bike.I did not fall off, but had a few close ones. Got a front flat, havent had one of those since B to V in 85'.

My wife slammed herself with a front brake lock up just before we got to Hawthorne on Fri. Elbow is swollen, but she made the whole trip. Her bike may have broken ring cuz it started blowing like a 2st 20mi out of Mammoth on day one. Used a quart of oil a day and kept on running. Probly made this $1500 trip into a $2000 trip.

Been washing clothes today, lotsa silt on some roads and then there were the Talc beds, fine dust like talcum powder. Talk about white out when the guy in front of you goes thru it!

C.Petty
Oct 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
That land out there is awesome. Was your wife on a 250 4st.? I'd love to see some pictures.

MikeinFresno
Oct 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM
250 KTM XCFw with 300 TR kit, got a few pics coming