PDA

View Full Version : In nee of auto help

SOUN1
Sep 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
My daily driver has a mine of it's own, here is what it's doing:
Car is a 94 Honda Accord automatic..It will not turn over in hot weather, if it's parked in the shade then it's fine..It starts up in the morning just fine..
What can it be?

Handyman
Sep 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
Old batteries will tend to lose their charge when hot...and this could be it...My dad's truck did this to me when i was helping my brother move...once it got hot it didn't have the juice to turn the motor over...but when it was cold after not running for a while it would start...borrow a battery that matches yours and see what happens....better to start simple and eliminate stuff as you go...

Devlausdan
Sep 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM
Car is a 94 Honda Accord automatic..It will not turn over in hot weather, if it's parked in the shade then it's fine..It starts up in the morning just fine..
What can it be?

Some vehicles, catalytic converter gets hot and clog up and vehicle doesn't start. Cat cools off and vehicle then starts. This example came from a friends Chevy Lumina.

C.Petty
Sep 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
What can it be?

Sounds like a spark problem...I used to have a mustang that did that. It was a weak pick-up coil in the distibutor. My wife had a Taurus that kind of did that, too. It had a distributorless electronic ignition and the problem there was the coil pack's factory location was right over the front exhaust manifold. Basically, hot wires don't like to carry current. I hope this helps.

mrlopez
Sep 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Check engine light??

kidmoua
Sep 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM
full insurance?

SOUN1
Sep 1st, 2009, 02:06 PM
full insurance?

You are BAD...I likey :evilgrin0013:

any how, I'll start with the battery..I had it charged about a month ago..
Thank sfor all of your input!!!

PRTSMN
Sep 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
full insurance?

HAHA.. Does it ccrank or nothing?

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM
My truck had a similar issue about a month ago. Someone mentioned it could of been a vapor lock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock).

bobbyk
Sep 1st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Leave your car.....take your bike to work.

Weksos_R6
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Does it crank over and not start?
Or it doesn't want to start at all?

If it cranks over but wont start when hot but starts fine when cold sounds like the main relay. Contacts inside go bad and with heat they don't switch contacts so the fuel pump does nada.......

SOUN1
Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Does it crank over and not start?
Or it doesn't want to start at all?

If it cranks over but wont start when hot but starts fine when cold sounds like the main relay. Contacts inside go bad and with heat they don't switch contacts so the fuel pump does nada.......

It's doing what your discribing on the cold and hot start..The fuel pump works fine (hot) I took the line apart, turn the key and gas gushes out.
What main relay are you talking about?

Weksos_R6
Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
It's doing what your discribing on the cold and hot start..The fuel pump works fine (hot) I took the line apart, turn the key and gas gushes out.
What main relay are you talking about?

The fuel/main relay under the driverside dash. It's a common problem with the accords.....remember car need air fuel and spark to work. Eliminate problems as you go. So if the fuel pump is still workin' fine then we can eliminate fuel. Maybe the dizzy coil which provides spark is slowly givin out...but i still think it's the main relay

Parklane64
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I had a Buick Skyhawk (Chevrolet Cavalier) Wagon that did something like that.

When I sold it at a considerable loss (good riddance), it wasn't long before I got a call from the buyer about the 'problem'. I assured him that the problem didn't really exist and gave him the number of the Buick service writer that claimed the problem couldn't be re-produced and didn't exist. :D

In the long term the problem was solved by not buying any more GM cars.

Honda, huh?