PDA

View Full Version : New brake pads, what is a good rotor bedding procedure? Any suggestions?

chugs
Jul 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Does anyone know of any good methods to bed in my rotors for new brake pads? Thanks.

Calkidd
Jul 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Take a heavy grit sanding foam block and scrub in your rotors very very good. Believe me you can not apply enough pressure to actually damage your rotors, scrub away. Then install your pads and ride your bike normally, don't apply excessive braking pressure.

SF Boyz
Jul 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know of any good methods to bed in my rotors for new brake pads? Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you got other issues.

wildbear
Jul 29th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Take a heavy grit sanding foam block and scrub in your rotors very very good. Believe me you can not apply enough pressure to actually damage your rotors, scrub away. Then install your pads and ride your bike normally, don't apply excessive braking pressure.

:word: But when you sand the rotor, do it in criss-cross pattern, and like Calkidd said, "Then install your pads and ride your bike normally, don't apply excessive braking pressure" :popcorn:

Big Kahuna
Jul 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Well, if you are replacing with the same brake pads you were previously using, then just slap them on and away you go. If you swap them for another compound, then I too recommend removing the old pad residue before installing the new pads. Even if you don't the old residue will be replaced with the new compound over time, it just depends how much you actually notice it.

When you are breaking in new pads, it's always a good idea to brake them in on a street with a lot of stop signs. :) Start braking much earlier than you usually do using about 60% of the force you would normally use. Increase the force as you feel the brakes beginning to bite harder and harder. Then finish it of with a few hard stops at high speed slowing to about 20 to 30 mph each time.

chugs
Jul 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I will get to sanding when I get the new pads in.