PDA

View Full Version : Track tire pressure

Calkidd
Jul 2nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
I was being rude by thread jacking Tony's thread concerning his post of tires for sale from CWS.

As I was saying....

Normally, when you are riding during a hot day on the track you typically will increase your tire pressure, more than you would on a cooler day, to obtain less carcass flex.

Check out these two links which should explain where i am coming from.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0206_motorcycle_tire_pressure/index.html

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tire_pressure_risez.html

up in smoke
Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:20 PM
I was being rude by thread jacking Tony's thread concerning his post of tires for sale from CWS.

As I was saying....

Normally, when you are riding during a hot day on the track you typically will increase your tire pressure, more than you would on a cooler day, to obtain less carcass flex.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0206_motorcycle_tire_pressure/index.html

Bryan, just stop eating so much if you want less carcass flex:pound:

Calkidd
Jul 3rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Nice....I really don't eat a lot. It is called getting old and the metabolism slowing down.

Calkidd
Jul 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Only two post, and nonsense ones at that. Come on this is some good information.

up in smoke
Jul 3rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Nice....I really don't eat a lot. It is called getting old and the metabolism slowing down.

thats it:confused2:

GSXR888
Jul 3rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
thats it:confused2:

Don't worry Byron, you'll get there...:rolleyes:

mrlopez
Jul 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
So what tire pressure for the power race?

up in smoke
Jul 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM

22-25 rear 25-30 front cold works good for me. there are Meany variables. so just grab a gage and by the end of the day you might find a pressure that works for you. then you will more than likely never run those tires with the same track conditions again . so start over :thumbsup:

speedjunkie
Jul 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
bt-003 race, hard rear hot temp 29, soft front hot temp 33, med front 33 hot also. all temps are straight from off the track. set warm temp off warmes 2 psi less. tire temp was around 170-180 on sweeper side, 140-150 non sweeper side at big willow. works very well.

Devlausdan
Jul 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
I've been bouncing around on psi combination for the last year. At times, it was lower in front, at times both front and rear tires were set evenly.

I've finally found that my bike (my bike ok) and the tires I'm riding on (BT003s) and I are happier at 25.5-26 rear cold and 27.5-28 front cold.

My opinion from try and error. If you know of something better, please tell me. I could use the improvement to my bike and tires.

wildbear
Jul 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
I run 40 in the drive tire and 36 in the front and hack. But then I don't take mine to the track very often. :rolleyes: :popcorn:

kidmoua
Jul 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
I run 40 in the drive tire and 36 in the front and hack. But then I don't take mine to the track very often. :rolleyes: :popcorn:

you think they'll let you take your bike on the track..?

wildbear
Jul 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM
you think they'll let you take your bike on the track..?

At a top speed of 65-70, I doubt it. Plus, I don't have full leathers. But then, maybe I can run the go-kart track over by Khouls at River Park. lol :popcorn:

habu
Jul 4th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Stop reading rags and spend more time at the track. Tire pressure is a variable that is constantly measured. There are many factors to consider. I deal with it twice a month (3-6 days). I see cheap tire gauages or set it and forget it attitudes. Hot pressure is the only measurement that matters. Manufactures have recommendations. Thats all it is. For example: Dunlop KR108's 22 psi cold, lot of racers start at 17 psi cold. Hot pressures of 24-27 psi. Depending on racer, bike, suspension type, track conditions, weather conditions, etc, etc.

just my 2 cents

kidmoua
Jul 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I just run whatever the Pirelli guy tells me to run

Devlausdan
Jul 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM

:word:

speedjunkie
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Hot pressure is the only measurement that matters. Depending on racer, bike, suspension type, track conditions, weather conditions, etc, etc.

just my 2 cents

:word::+1:

SOUN1
Jul 6th, 2009, 10:36 AM

I don't know about that..last time I asked at Buttonwillow the "GUY" told me 44PSI..I almost WTF but I was 2 stunned..Track for me is 28F & 32R..Dan's Perellis..

CRASH972
Jul 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Is there an ideal tire temp that a tire should run.
If so wouldn't we set psi through out the day to get that temp?

sPAnKy1600
Jul 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM
stop reading rags and spend more time at the track. Tire pressure is a variable that is constantly measured. There are many factors to consider. I deal with it twice a month (3-6 days). I see cheap tire gauages or set it and forget it attitudes. Hot pressure is the only measurement that matters. Manufactures have recommendations. Thats all it is. For example: Dunlop kr108's 22 psi cold, lot of racers start at 17 psi cold. Hot pressures of 24-27 psi. Depending on racer, bike, suspension type, track conditions, weather conditions, etc, etc.

Just my 2 cents

thank you!!! Finally!!

Calkidd
Jul 7th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Stop reading rags and spend more time at the track. Tire pressure is a variable that is constantly measured. There are many factors to consider. I deal with it twice a month (3-6 days). I see cheap tire gauages or set it and forget it attitudes. Hot pressure is the only measurement that matters. Manufactures have recommendations. Thats all it is. For example: Dunlop KR108's 22 psi cold, lot of racers start at 17 psi cold. Hot pressures of 24-27 psi. Depending on racer, bike, suspension type, track conditions, weather conditions, etc, etc.

just my 2 cents
I hope you are not referring to my links as these rags not to read. The links I posted are very informative as to what causes what and the reason for different tire pressures.

I completely agree with checking your tire pressure hot.

CRASH972
Jul 7th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I must be boarderline retarted. When the tire is hot, psi should be 35?:confused2:

speedjunkie
Jul 8th, 2009, 04:17 AM
so now that tire psi is beaten to death, let talk about geometry, spring rates, setups, and fun motor stuff :)

bigdyang
Jul 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM

As I was saying....

just my 2 cents

thank you!!! Finally!!

yes, i agree...

Calkidd
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:45 AM
so now that tire psi is beaten to death, let talk about geometry, spring rates, setups, and fun motor stuff :)
Start your own thread you thread jacker:myhijackedX:

poach
Jul 14th, 2009, 02:53 PM

31frt 19rear cold...but like Sally says, a bit of correction is required to deal with temp change. If ambient temp is over 100* I'll go with 32frt 20rear cold...

Wile_E_Coyote
Jul 14th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Tire pressure is a variable that is constantly measured. There are many factors to consider. I deal with it twice a month (3-6 days). I see cheap tire gauages or set it and forget it attitudes. Hot pressure is the only measurement that matters. Manufactures have recommendations. Thats all it is. For example: Dunlop KR108's 22 psi cold, lot of racers start at 17 psi cold. Hot pressures of 24-27 psi. Depending on racer, bike, suspension type, track conditions, weather conditions, etc, etc.

just my 2 cents

This is all fine and good information, but...

I'll have bout 6 or 7 trackdays this year and I did 4 last year. I don't have a clue about hot pressures. And I don't hover around my tire gauge all day either. I want a cold tire pressure base line to get me close. Then I want to go out and have fun and work on my riding. I always make sure I give myself a few warm up laps. I'm not setting AMA times and I'm not out there spinning the rear or pushing the front and saving it on my knee.

I may be totally ignorant, but I want to keep it simple, give myself a safe ride, and go out and learn something. At my level there's no way I'm ever gonna feel the difference between 2 psi.

kidmoua
Jul 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM
At my level there's no way I'm ever gonna feel the difference between 2 psi.

werd...

just like brake fluid, I aint gonna feel the defference between DOT4 and DOT5..little Rossi might

bigdyang
Jul 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
werd...

just like brake fluid, I aint gonna feel the defference between DOT4 and DOT5..little Rossi might

hella werd!!!!!:word:

Devlausdan
Jul 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM
werd...

hella werd!!!!!:word:

What?? Says the man that got a new cylinder.:rolleyes:

bigdyang
Jul 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM
What?? Says the man that got a new cylinder.:rolleyes:

FYI... brake fluid and MC are totally different aspects.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

dot 4 vs. dot 5. someone like me can't tell the difference. like what jjh said, 2psi off on tire pressure will not cause any hazzard, guaranteed... i agree 100%

Devlausdan
Jul 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM
FYI... brake fluid and MC are totally different aspects.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

dot 4 vs. dot 5. someone like me can't tell the difference. like what jjh said, 2psi off on tire pressure will not cause any hazzard, guaranteed... i agree 100%

messing with you ....

but if you want, come over and grab my brake lever. It doesn't feel the same after I switched out the brack line, brake pad, and went to dot 5

bigdyang
Jul 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
messing with you ....

but even my level, i can totally tell the difference between how slow slowzukies are vs my 10r... :evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013:

Devlausdan
Jul 19th, 2009, 03:39 PM
but even my level, i can totally tell the difference between how fast zukies are vs my 10r...

:iagree:

bigdyang
Jul 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM
:iagree:

hahaha

bigdyang
Jul 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
but if you want, come over and grab my brake lever. It doesn't feel the same after I switched out the brack line, brake pad, and went to dot 5

and... how can i tell by coming over and just squeezing/grabbing the brake lever... what will that do for me? how can i tell by just doing that?

and you said you couldn't tell the difference of the 2 up sprocket you have? but you can totally tell the difference in brake fluids??? :confused2:

kidmoua
Jul 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM
messing with you ....

and... how can i tell by coming over and just squeezing/grabbing the brake lever... what will that do for me? how can i tell by just doing that?

and you said you couldn't tell the difference of the 2 up sprocket you have? but you can totally tell the difference in brake fluids??? :confused2:

you two just need to kiss and make up