PDA

View Full Version : Advice On Exhaust & Installation

TOOLROX
Jun 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
As some of you may know I recently purchased a 2009 Harley Davidson Fat Bob. I want to upgrade the exhaust on my bike to the Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 in 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6-SeE8swxE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6-SeE8swxE I like the look and I like the sound of these pipes. The link is a before and after. The only difference is that I want the black pipes instead of the chrome.

What I would like to know is if anybody has other recommendations for pipes and where to get them installed. I appreciate any help I can get with this especially since I am new to all of this. Thanks for you time.

Peace

Oldbiker
Jun 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM
If you want the most power gain through the whole power band nothing can touch the Thunder Hesder 2 into 1 and the comes in black:amerflag:

L2fly
Jun 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Call Kelly at Dynges Dyno, he's the best local guy in Visalia, does a lot of work on Harleys, too... since you are talking about changing your exhaust flow, your air/fuel mixture may need to be adjusted, which means you'll need to change your carburation (if Harley's still using carbs?) or change the computerized 'tune' for the fuel injectors, either by re-programming the current 'tune' or installing a power commander (a computerized over-ride box you can buy for more performance).

Anyway, call Kelly, 977-2258, he'll be happy to talk to you about it, tell him you're a friend of mine & on the board... he's on here, too!

Oh, and one more thing, I'd wait for a little bit, get used to your bike as it is before getting too excited about after market stuff... you'd hate to scuff up new parts if you have a little drop, and its probably easier to get used to riding it for a newbie in stock condition, usually new pipes give you a little more hp! So give yourself a month or so before going too crazy on after market stuff! Just my :zz2cents:

TOOLROX
Jun 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM
If you want the most power gain through the whole power band nothing can touch the Thunder Hesder 2 into 1 and the comes in black:amerflag:

I'll look into these as well. I appreciate the heads up.

TOOLROX
Jun 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Call Kelly at Dynges Dyno, he's the best local guy in Visalia, does a lot of work on Harleys, too... since you are talking about changing your exhaust flow, your air/fuel mixture may need to be adjusted, which means you'll need to change your carburation (if Harley's still using carbs?) or change the computerized 'tune' for the fuel injectors, either by re-programming the current 'tune' or installing a power commander (a computerized over-ride box you can buy for more performance).

Anyway, call Kelly, 977-2258, he'll be happy to talk to you about it, tell him you're a friend of mine & on the board... he's on here, too!

Oh, and one more thing, I'd wait for a little bit, get used to your bike as it is before getting too excited about after market stuff... you'd hate to scuff up new parts if you have a little drop, and its probably easier to get used to riding it for a newbie in stock condition, usually new pipes give you a little more hp! So give yourself a month or so before going too crazy on after market stuff! Just my :zz2cents:

You know I'm not doing all that DJ:D. I will however get in touch with Kelly. I'm not getting the pipes until I am absolutely sure what direction I am going so it may be a few months and I am not in any hurry. You are right though, about dropping my bike. I don't want to see that happen at all. I'd probably throw myself under the bike to keep it from getting scratched. Thanks for the advice though, I'm sure I'll be hitting you up again for advice.

speedjunkie
Jun 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
for a harley id say save your money (and ears), keep the stock exhaust, and upgrade the suspension. the bike will feel waaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better if you drop a grand in suspension over some motor stuff that might get you 5hp.

thats speaking from experience as well. my dad has a dyna lowrider and he got suspension and steel braided brake lines first and the bike is a ton better at stoping and cornering which is a heck of a lot better then making more noise.

TOOLROX
Jun 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
for a harley id say save your money (and ears), keep the stock exhaust, and upgrade the suspension. the bike will feel waaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better if you drop a grand in suspension over some motor stuff that might get you 5hp.

thats speaking from experience as well. my dad has a dyna lowrider and he got suspension and steel braided brake lines first and the bike is a ton better at stoping and cornering which is a heck of a lot better then making more noise.

For safety I'd like to be heard coming since bikes are hard to see. I intend to the the suspension as well so we'll see what I do first. I appreciate the advice though.

DynoDynge
Jun 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Give me a call or come by, since you're local.
I can save you a ton over the Hundred Dollar dealership.
With the right exhaust & tuning, You can make that bike run a whole bunch smoother, without busting eardrums. I have a lot of HD dyno graphs you can look at.

PS I have all of the info that you need for your suspension setup & can do the work too...Ask L2Fly how her's came out

GSXR888
Jun 18th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Don't forget to save your stock pipes incase that emission law passes...:rolleyes:

speedjunkie
Jun 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
dont get in a blind spot. best way to be seen. when i rode on the street i trained myself to try and always be infront or behind the car next to me. just cuz they hear something does not mean they are thinking if its next to them or not. loud pipes are good in theory but i know a lot of people that have been hit and had loud pipes on.
avoiding accidents is all up to you and how you ride and how well you pay attention to whats around you.

Biggest peice of advise i can ever give anybody is ride like your invisible. act like no car sees you or hears you or knows your there. if you ride with that mentality you will be able to ride an electric bike without problems.

DynoDynge
Jun 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM
They call it a HD "Race Tuner" & not even the Dealers can figure out how to tune them correctly. Don't waste your money on that.

Oldbiker
Jun 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
They call it a HD "Race Tuner" & not even the Dealers can figure out how to tune them correctly. Don't waste your money on that.

That is becaus the oxygen censer over rides the tuner go to a web site named Night rider .com electronics and it will fix that problem with out tuner of any kind they make 3 of them the best is the one that goes to 13.8% read the site and you will see what I mean I have been runing it for 3 years and it works great no more over heating.

DynoDynge
Jun 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM
That is becaus the oxygen censer over rides the tuner go to a web site named Night rider .com electronics and it will fix that problem with out tuner of any kind they make 3 of them the best is the one that goes to 13.8% read the site and you will see what I mean I have been runing it for 3 years and it works great no more over heating.

The oxygen sensor only overrides the ecm at steady highway speeds (cruising). It does nothing for around town or on/off throttle riding, which is where a majority of the drivability issues are found on the newer HD models.
Dynojet sells a O2 eliminator plug ($12), which does the same thing.

Oldbiker
Jun 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
The oxygen sensor only overrides the ecm at steady highway speeds (cruising). It does nothing for around town or on/off throttle riding, which is where a majority of the drivability issues are found on the newer HD models.
Dynojet sells a O2 eliminator plug ($12), which does the same thing.

No it does not do the same thing. Just like you say a race tuner does not work that H D can't work on them. Mine has ben installed for 2 1/2 years and my motor has had extensive work done on it and I can tune it with out any problems so why can't they, they dont want to read and a child could do it

Oldbiker
Jun 18th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Also remember that the only time that the oxygen sencer works is when the ECM is in closed loop that only happens at a steady speed or idle so if the Night Rider don't work why does the oxygen elimator work

DynoDynge
Jun 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Also remember that the only time that the oxygen sencer works is when the ECM is in closed loop that only happens at a steady speed or idle so if the Night Rider don't work why does the oxygen elimator work

An oxygen sensor eliminator fools the ECM into thinking it is running at it's set point, so it prevents the bike from leaning itself out.
Nightrider changes the resistance to fool the ECM to operate at a different value. End result, Nightrider only works at steady state throttle highway speeds & not at idle. It does nothing to address acceleration or on/off throttle issues
Neither is a substitute for a custom tuning.
Sorry if you misunderstood me.
I have a dyno & would be willing to show you the difference.
Most people think louder is faster too.

Oldbiker
Jun 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I don't misunderstand what I said is nightrider works in closed loop same thing is affected as the elemnator you sugest the people that built my motor is runing a sporster at Bonivelle this year and on a dyno a carberated 883 sporster is puting 154HP to the rear tire owning a dyno does not mean s***

DynoDynge
Jun 18th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Wow....I'm not sure what you just said, but I'm sure it was......Intelejent
:dblthumb2:

Back to you TOOLROX
:myhijackedX:

L2fly
Jun 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Clear as mud, right, Cole? ;)

TOOLROX
Jun 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Clear as mud, right, Cole? ;)

Exactly! :D In time I'll get it but for now I'm just trying to absorb it all. Went to the HD dealership today and talked to them about the exhaust again and I really don't feel comfortable paying that much for exhaust work. Even on my mustang the flowmaster weren't that much.

First night of the motorcycle safety course was tonight so now I have 2 more to go. Really interesting information provided to us tonight.

TOOLROX
Jun 18th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Give me a call or come by, since you're local.
I can save you a ton over the Hundred Dollar dealership.
With the right exhaust & tuning, You can make that bike run a whole bunch smoother, without busting eardrums. I have a lot of HD dyno graphs you can look at.

PS I have all of the info that you need for your suspension setup & can do the work too...Ask L2Fly how her's came out

I really appreciate that Dyno. Do you recommend doing the air intake at the same time as the exhaust?

TOOLROX
Jun 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Don't forget to save your stock pipes incase that emission law passes...:rolleyes:

Emission law? Got some looking up to do. Thanks for the heads up

TOOLROX
Jun 18th, 2009, 11:00 PM
dont get in a blind spot. best way to be seen. when i rode on the street i trained myself to try and always be infront or behind the car next to me. just cuz they hear something does not mean they are thinking if its next to them or not. loud pipes are good in theory but i know a lot of people that have been hit and had loud pipes on.
avoiding accidents is all up to you and how you ride and how well you pay attention to whats around you.

Biggest peice of advise i can ever give anybody is ride like your invisible. act like no car sees you or hears you or knows your there. if you ride with that mentality you will be able to ride an electric bike without problems.

I understand that pipes alone aren't going to keep me safe but it is something additional in my favor to bring awareness of my presence. Thanks again for advice.

KRAYZ1
Jun 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Emission law? Got some looking up to do. Thanks for the heads up

just keep everything that is pulled off . that way if or when they start it have the stuuf you need I heard they will only be testing 2010 and newer ? I know people have said they are going back a few years.
to tell you the truth the state is not ready yet and they don't have any shop's set up yet.
give me a call and I'll give you the # to a guy that will take good care of you and your bike . he has done all the bike's for my family and friend's

DynoDynge
Jun 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I really appreciate that Dyno. Do you recommend doing the air intake at the same time as the exhaust?

The air filter is more of an aesthetic, but the true value is in not having to pay for paper filters anymore. Just wash & re-oil.

If you plan to change out the intake itself, yes, do it at the same time & tune it all together.

DynoDynge
Jun 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
give me a call and I'll give you the # to a guy that will take good care of you and your bike . he has done all the bike's for my family and friend's

I appreciate the referral Kenny, but I think L2Fly beat ya to it

SXV 550
Jun 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Wow....I'm not sure what you just said, but I'm sure it was......Intelejent
:dblthumb2:

Back to you TOOLROX
:myhijackedX:

Go get him Kelly:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::D:D

L2fly
Jun 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
The air filter is more of an aesthetic, but the true value is in not having to pay for paper filters anymore. Just wash & re-oil.

If you plan to change out the intake itself, yes, do it at the same time & tune it all together.

I'm not sure, but by 'air intake' he may mean the adjustments you have to make to the stock jetting or fuel injectors when you start changing from a stock exhaust... if I'm right, YES, Cole, when you swap exhaust pipes you often have to make some changes to the 'tune' (tune = electronic program) to tell the fuel injectors how much fuel to inject into the cylinder, to compensate for the increased and quicker output of exhaust the new pipe will have... or you have to adjust the 'jetting' of the carb, if carburated and not fuel injected, to compensate for that same increased output.

Unless you ARE talking about adding some air filter bling! I which case I guess I wasted a minute of my life typing all that! :evilgrin0013: And Kelly's right, if you want to change the way air reaches your engine, just like the exhaust, you'll have to change your jetting or your tune, so best to do it all together!

Hope I'm not simplifying too much, but I remember how confusing it all was when I jumped on the motorcycle addiction... motorcycles are little more tempermental (ie, complicated!) than cars!

Anyway, give me a call if you want to talk 'shop' or go for a practice ride! :thumbsup:

DynoDynge
Jun 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
QUOTE=SXV 550;99363]Go get him Kelly:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::D:D[/QUOTE]

:stirpot:[

TOOLROX
Jun 19th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'm not sure, but by 'air intake' he may mean the adjustments you have to make to the stock jetting or fuel injectors when you start changing from a stock exhaust... if I'm right, YES, Cole, when you swap exhaust pipes you often have to make some changes to the 'tune' (tune = electronic program) to tell the fuel injectors how much fuel to inject into the cylinder, to compensate for the increased and quicker output of exhaust the new pipe will have... or you have to adjust the 'jetting' of the carb, if carburated and not fuel injected, to compensate for that same increased output.

Unless you ARE talking about adding some air filter bling! I which case I guess I wasted a minute of my life typing all that! :evilgrin0013: And Kelly's right, if you want to change the way air reaches your engine, just like the exhaust, you'll have to change your jetting or your tune, so best to do it all together!

Hope I'm not simplifying too much, but I remember how confusing it all was when I jumped on the motorcycle addiction... motorcycles are little more tempermental (ie, complicated!) than cars!

Anyway, give me a call if you want to talk 'shop' or go for a practice ride! :thumbsup:

I want to do something like the screaming eagle but I don't want it all chromed out. I want to go the other route and black the bike out. I'm not a bling kind of guys but I think you know that.

I will get the hang of this in time so I am looking forward to learning as much as I possibly can. I'd love to ride with you when you have a chance. I appreciate the invite. :)