PDA

View Full Version : clucth issue?

SOUN1
May 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM
My ZX6R is being stubron..I can feel the gears shift but when I throttle it all it do is a small luanch and whine's like a starving baby crying for milk! A couple of members has took the clucth rings and fibers apart for inspection and put it back..If it's the clucth , what or any visable sign should I look out for????

GsxR1000Ryda
May 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM
My ZX6R is being stubron..I can feel the gears shift but when I throttle it all it do is a small luanch and whine's like a starving baby crying for milk! A couple of members has took the clucth rings and fibers apart for inspection and put it back..If it's the clucth , what or any visable sign should I look out for????

I've gone through several clutches on my 600 (thanks to clutch wheelies, but there is No other way to wheelie, IMO) and from what i've noticed from all my bad clutches is when you really get hard on the gas you will hear and see your rpms climb but your speed wont increase, hence the starving baby crying for milk feeling, LOL. Depending on how bad the clutch wear is, it might rev up to the limiter or eventually catch and Even if it does catch its not a erupt power increase enough to make you crash but more of a bogged down feeling. Hard starts, high rpm riding (aka track riding) or in my case clutch wheelies all put wear and tear on the plates.

speedjunkie
May 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM

might have glazed the plates (hard to visably see) or just plain worn out the friction pads.

speedjunkie
May 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
high rpm riding (aka track riding)

this riding puts more strain on the tranny and other drive train components mainly. simply because the clutch is engaged. yes there is a lot of power being put down but as long as the clutch is fully engaged your not really hurting it. but yes to the other things. high rpm/hard launches, and anything else that invovles slipping it and throttle will wear it.

slipping it a lot would be very similar to riddig your brakes while on the gas at 100mph. lots of heat build up, and the material gets the plates so hot that it will polish it smooth and glaze it over. resulting in nothing for the friction pads to grab on to while fully engaged.

SOUN1
May 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Can an under tension or over tension of the clucth cable cause this problem??

speedjunkie
May 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Can an under tension or over tension of the clucth cable cause this problem??

only way the tension would cause it to slip is if there was a LOT of it.

basically to the point where even tho the lever is fully extended the cable is not fully extended. way to easily tell is if the bike starts to go forward when the lever is almost all the way out. like within an inch of being full released.

SOUN1
May 27th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks..I'll pull it apart tonight, maybe the basket too..

speedjunkie
May 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
okie dokie.
if you can take some pics of it. or let me know if you need a hand

yoageallen
May 27th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Did you ever replace the clutch plates and steel plates?

GSXR888
May 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM
This is a shot in the dark but have you recently switched to a full synthetic oil on the Kawi?

SOUN1
May 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Adrian, no on the replacement..trying not to but if all eles fails I will..
Ray, why you got to ask something like that??LOL As of matter of fact yes..I I used the Rotella full. syn but I dought that is the problem..I use the same oil on my 05 ZX10R and have no issue...I'll take it apart 1 more time for good measure..

GSXR888
May 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Adrian, no on the replacement..trying not to but if all eles fails I will..
Ray, why you got to ask something like that??LOL As of matter of fact yes..I I used the Rotella full. syn but I dought that is the problem..I use the same oil on my 05 ZX10R and have no issue...I'll take it apart 1 more time for good measure..

Did your clutch start slipping after you switched over? The reason I asked was I remember reading an oil thread a while back and no Jonjon is wasn't on the Gixer fourm:D. lol and a guy with a XZ6R was complaining his clutch was slipping after the switch. Apparently the Kawi's slippers clutch doesn't like full syn. I'll sure there are other ZX6R owners here that could give you a better answer...

sivad87
May 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Did your clutch start slipping after you switched over? The reason I asked was I remember reading an oil thread a while back and no Jonjon is wasn't on the Gixer fourm:D. lol and a guy with a XZ6R was complaining his clutch was slipping after the switch. Apparently the Kawi's slippers clutch doesn't like full syn. I'll sure there are other ZX6R owners here that could give you a better answer...

Werd on the slipper! but what year zx6r is it? you should always make sure your oil is wet clutch safe.

The slipper came standard in all 07's and up and the zx6rr in 05-06 (i think it was) came with the slipper but not the 636.

Did you try adjusting the clutch system via the factory service manual?

SOUN1
May 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
05..So I guess it's a ZX636....I played with the cable also...I got to look in to the oil thing...I'll see what the guys on the zx6r forum come up with..

GSXR888
May 28th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Kawi was selling both ZX6R and ZX6RR in 05 and both from what I have researched came with the slipper clutch. Maybe switch back to Dino oil and see if the problem goes away?

sivad87
May 28th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Kawi was selling both ZX6R and ZX6RR in 05 and both from what I have researched came with the slipper clutch. Maybe switch back to Dino oil and see if the problem goes away?

Right but i believe the zx6r/636 was a standard clutch and the zx6rr had a slipper clutch as part of the RR package. supposedly they dropped the cc's shortened the gears added a slipper clutch and lightened some stuff up to make the RR. From what ive heard the 07 was the first year the slipper came standard but i may be wrong.

heres a snippet for clutch adjustment from the FSM for the 07 zx6r, might be the same for the 05 but should give you an idea of what your looking for.

2-26 PERIODIC MAINTENANCE
Maintenance Procedure
Clutch
Clutch Operation Inspection •Pull the clutch lever just enough to take up the free play
[A]. •Measure the gap between the lever and the lever holder.
If the gap is too wide, the clutch may not release fully. If
the gap is too narrow, the clutch may not engage fully. In
either case, adjust it.
Clutch Lever Free Play
Standard: 2 ∼ 3 mm (0.08 ∼ 0.12 in.)
WARNING
To avoid a serious burn, never touch the engine or
exhaust pipe during clutch adjustment.
•Turn the adjuster [A] so that 4 ∼ 6 mm (0.16 ∼ 0.24 in.) [B]
of threads is visible.
•Slide the dust cover [A] at the clutch cable lower end out
of place. •Loosen both adjusting nuts [B] at the clutch cover as far
as they will go. •Pull the clutch outer cable [C] tight and tighten the adjusting
nuts against the bracket [D]. •Slip the rubber dust cover back onto place. •Turn the adjuster at the clutch lever until the free play is
correct.
•Push the release lever [A] toward the front of the motorcycle
until it becomes hard to turn.
○At this time, the release lever should have the proper angle
shown.
60 [B]

Mike R6
May 28th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Man you guys that is kaws slipper clutch and tractioncontrol all in 1!:D

poach
May 29th, 2009, 01:12 PM
The slipper came standard in all 07's and up and the zx6rr in 05-06 (i think it was) came with the slipper but not the 636.

I must have one of them thar *speshul* ones.....

Wile_E_Coyote
May 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM

That would be incorrect.

GSXR888
May 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I must have one of them thar *speshul* ones.....

Sponsorship has it's privileges I see....:D Ever have problems running full synthetic oil in your 636? Even though your 636 is FAR from stock Chris!:evilgrin0013:

SOUN1
May 29th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Well, looks like I'll be buying a new clucth set..If this doesn't work:mad:, me and the bike are going to have a 1 on 1 talk with the door close and beat it like a :deadhorse:

DeVil
May 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
i thought you got it fix last time, i guess new clutch it is.

GSXR888
May 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Here ya go Soun, looks like he had the same problem...http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-streetbikes-sportbikes/73379-rotella-t-clutch-slip-07-zx-6r.html

poach
Jun 1st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Ever have problems running full synthetic oil in your 636?

No problems at all. First 120mi at wsir on dino and she's been on 300V ever since...

Hamburg201
Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
No problems at all. First 120mi at wsir on dino and she's been on 300V ever since...

Motul is too costing. Try Belray is better:word:

Martin