PDA

View Full Version : Pilot screw o ring / float leakage

Phentos
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I've got some leak issues from my number 3 float. After tearing everything apart about the only thing that appears to be an issue is that the pilot screw o ring is pretty ****ed (weathered, cracked, etc). Tinkering with the pilot screw does seem to change the leakage frequency (as determined by hooking up the tank to the carb and gravity feeding gas in). I've already checked float heights and whatnot and they are all within spec. Float needles are good. There is a very, very, VERY minute amount of wear on the #3 needle but its so little I have a hard time believing thats it. I switched the needle in 3 to 1 and rechecked for the leak and it continued. So not the needle (thank god @ 50$ a needle).

If it isn't the pilot screw o-ring then I must have missed something. Either way, I want to replace the orings given they're a bit ****ty. Clawson refuses to sell me that oring, instead they want to give me a gasket set for 40$ including a ****ton of rings I don't need/want.

Anyway I'm going to get the specs on the oring next time Im in the shop.

The leak is coming from the opposite end of the pilot screw shaft, right at the corner of the float. Ill get a picture in if needed. Is it possible the oring is the problem?

PS
A completely unrelated question though: does anyone have a carb vacuum sync theyll loan me? =D

GsxR1000Ryda
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
PS
A completely unrelated question though: does anyone have a carb vacuum sync theyll loan me? =D

Ask MadKaw or Hippy

Phentos
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Ask MadKaw or Hippy

I actually already sent a PM to the Hipmeister, haha. He volunteered to help me a long while ago. Thanks !

hippylong
Apr 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM
they make aftermarket carb rebuild sets.

Phentos
Apr 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
they make aftermarket carb rebuild sets.

After I tore it out and looked through it, they're actually in really good condition and mostly just need a good cleaning. The float leak is the only issue so far (aside from sync, they're clearly out but I'll be taking care of that later).