PDA

View Full Version : Tire Comparisons?

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Just got a flat, looking at a replacement...I currently have a Pirelli Diablo Rosso front and back. Rear went flat. Would like to replace with the same but that tire is not on sale currently. First, is it ok to have non-matching tires?

Second, I've heard alot of people who like the BT-016, some like the Dunlop Qualifier, etc...

Any feedback on the tire you like? A good tread life, with some durability for canyons.

Thanks all!

Sticka
Apr 24th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Non matching tires may give you problems but nothing severe.
I had a new 94 VFR750 and I mismatched tires and the handle bars would shake if I took my hands of the bars.
As soon as I put on a matched set the problem went away.

speedjunkie
Apr 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
i matched a couple sets once or twice and it didnt kill me. just would not recomend pushing it hard in the hills.

you should be ablet to just patch it at a local tire shop tho.

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
i matched a couple sets once or twice and it didnt kill me. just would not recomend pushing it hard in the hills.

you should be ablet to just patch it at a local tire shop tho.

Would a patch be a good idea if I'm looking to make a long ride...like to Santa Cruz, tomorrow????

Agustin
Apr 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I want to know, too.

Jobu137
Apr 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Cheng Shin are pretty good for stuntin

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Cheng Shin are pretty good for stuntin

If only I had a fraction of skill to stunt....*lol....

mrlopez
Apr 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
nahhh I wouldn't patch it I would rather put a mix match tires play it safe

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM
nahhh I wouldn't patch it I would rather put a mix match tires play it safe

I agree...that'll be the route I take...I may just buy a new set, keep the mismatch as a spare...

So now thoughts on the brands versus each other? BT-016, etc...

mrlopez
Apr 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I like Michelin pp 2ct but it depends on your rideing style you may just want to get more mileage like regular pp but some of was like the softer compound to use them on the track

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I have yet to get on the track...so I'd like a tire with some good tread life..but can handle canyon runs....

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
My luck...only tire in my size 160/60 17 is a Pirelli Diablo Strada...which is very similar to my Diablo Rosso that went flat...other than that...I'd have to order the tire and miss the ride...so I'm going with the Strada...

speedjunkie
Apr 24th, 2009, 11:18 AM
if a patch is done right it will not give you any problems at all for the rest of the life of the tire.

go have anthony at cws pull the tire off for you then take it to a tire shop.

the lay tar down on the hole, place a patch on it, then some more tar. when the tire is filled with air the pressure is pushing the patch against the tire. making it an even better seal then with no air in it.

sPAnKy1600
Apr 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I have a patched Pirelli Rosso on my bike right now and I've put a good 1,000 miles of hard riding since.

I would DEFINATELY patch it and go about my merry way.

I'm pretty sure America's tire patches tires for free.

-Tony

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I'm in Bakersfield...have called Scott Tillery...I'd like to save money on not buying a new tire...but also want to be able to ride safely...the tire still has good tread....maybe only 5000mi on it... Maybe I'll have Scott Patch it before I buy a new tire....BUT! I want to go on the Santa Cruz ride tomorrow... I guess like you said, if the patch job is done well, shouldn't be a problem to ride as usual...my riding style isn't very aggressive to begin with...have never been to a track...YET....and I do the occassional canyon run when riders hit me up....other than that...commuting....

sPAnKy1600
Apr 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Patch it right, and your fine. :thumbsup:

Plugs are a different story, but patches are saviors for good tires that get punctured by nails, screws, etc.

-Tony

mrlopez
Apr 24th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Plugs are a different story, but patches are saviors for good tires that get punctured by nails, screws, etc.

-Tony

well how come most of the shops won't patch a tire??

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Got it! Thanks All!

StreetFanaticEd
Apr 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
5000 miles on it? WOW sounds to me like you do need new tires...:weirdface:

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
5000 miles on it? WOW sounds to me like you do need new tires...:weirdface:

After 5000mi, really? My last pair I got 10,000 out of them...and they were the stock tires...barely even got to the wear bar...what's the average life of tires? I guess it depends on riding style...most of my riding is commuting and occassional canyon runs...

StreetFanaticEd
Apr 24th, 2009, 01:14 PM
well i have a hard time getting to 3K... guess depends on tire...i would recomend you get Pilot powers..best life on them

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Only tire they had for me in my size was a Diablo Strada, which is almost like the Diablo Rosso I had on it...couldn't batch the tire due to the location of the puncture...so had to replace it...I'll run this and think about some of the suggestion of tires. I really liked the Diablo Rosso...but now I have another tire to compare. I might try a set of the BT0-16...hearing alot of chatter about those...want to find the shoes that'll best suite my riding style....thanks all!!!

GSXR888
Apr 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM
After 5000mi, really? My last pair I got 10,000 out of them...and they were the stock tires...barely even got to the wear bar...what's the average life of tires? I guess it depends on riding style...most of my riding is commuting and occassional canyon runs...

Wow 10k off a tire that's awesome! I usually get about 4k out of the rear before the cords start showing :((Pirelli DC3's) I probably would have gotten a little more if I kept up on the tire pressure more regularly.:rolleyes: But man do I love those tires!:D

Bloodstripe
Apr 24th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Wow 10k off a tire that's awesome! I usually get about 4k out of the rear before the cords start showing :((Pirelli DC3's) I probably would have gotten a little more if I kept up on the tire pressure more regularly.:rolleyes: But man do I love those tires!:D

Funny thing is I probably could have gotten more also. I never messed with the pressure. Probably on the low side of good pressure. LOL

Agustin
Apr 27th, 2009, 08:15 AM

-Tony

But it's not patched right? Who do I trust to patch my tire? I have a serious trust issue when I'm only using two wheels.

Notsameold
May 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
I bought a set of Avon Azaros and got about 12,500 miles off the set. I could have got 15,000 but my front tire was down to the wear bars, my back ones had another 2500 miles easily. I ordered a set of the new Avon Storms. I ride about 80% easy going and the other 20% up in the canyons with no chicken strips--just ask the guy me and my daughter passed up on the Little Dragon last Sunday!! He was riding a ZRX-1200.

BlooDSMeaR
May 1st, 2009, 11:10 PM
I have yet to get on the track...so I'd like a tire with some good tread life..but can handle canyon runs....

your best route then would be pilot road's and if you hit the canyons hard get the road 2's they last forever and handle well.

BlooDSMeaR
May 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM

The reason you only get 4000 miles out of your tires are:

300 mph around 5 mph turns:eek: ROFLMAO :stirpot:

macevo8
May 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
What about Dunlop Roadsmart's? The reviews are pretty good and they are dual compound.