PDA

View Full Version : what kind of sport touring tire?

BlackbirdRider
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:04 PM
My quilifiers are completely worn out and im looking for some tires with a bit more life to them. I'm considering pilot roads but not sure yet, just trying to do some research before buying. Looking for any opinions

HBOMBCYCLES
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:41 PM
i have the pilot roads for my second pair.. i have 8000 miles on them and still look good. but i took off eirly and bought pilot power ct..

sivad87
Apr 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM
i have the roadsmarts on mine currently, they still are only a few months old but the traction is good, wet traction is great, and should have some great life to them.

Toecutter
Apr 15th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Isn't there some good data on the Blackbird forum?

I run PR2's on my FJR, but you might want a bit more sport than touring....

up in smoke
Apr 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM
bridgestone has a great sport tour tire. there bto 20 something is assume! very predictable and high mileage.:thumbsup:

Jester
Apr 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM
PRIIs :dblthumb2:

Very Nice!!

BlooDSMeaR
Apr 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
The pilot road's are great! I never once questioned grip, stability or longevity. I would recommend them to any one. I put 4k miles on the back one, and had about 50% tread left before I switched it out for a matching set. The road two's have the same center compound as the road but has softer sides for when you hit the twisties. The brigestone bt020's have a nice smooth feel to them but wore out in 4k miles. the bridgestone bt002's were awesome for grip and handling however, they only lasted about 1500 miles. I have ran the Shinko's 005's but I wouldn't ride to hard on'em once again lasted about 1500 miles (good bang for the buck, But I never really trusted them) Shinko does make a set of touring tires. I think they are 009's?.(If your on a tight budget Id look into them, they are the cheapest cycle tire I have found)

up in smoke
Apr 15th, 2009, 09:02 PM
The pilot road's are great! I never once questioned grip or stability . I would recommend them to any one. I put 4k miles on the back one, and had about 50% tread left before I switched it out for a matching set. The road two's have the same center compound as the road but has softer sides for when you hit the twisties. The brigestone bt020's have a nice smooth feel to them but were completely wiped out in 4k miles. the bridgestone bt002's were awesome for grip and handling however, they only lasted about 1500 miles. Shinko's 005's work but I wouldn't ride to hard on'em once again lasted about 1500 miles (good bang for the buck, But I never really trusted them).

:rolleyes:

BlooDSMeaR
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Im not talking track tires.....:fryingpan: just sharing my recent exp with what brands, types and millage for the rear tires that I have ran in the last year or so. :zz2cents:

I will be running PRII's next and will be staying with those for a while.

KRAYZ1
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I have ran pilot roads on my Z1000 for over 20,000 mile's, no not the same set . I do burnout's, ride wheels and I have rode em hard in the twisstie's a lot . I get 5to7 K out of the rear tire and I have been able to run one front 10 to 12 k . what I really like is that when I start to hit the were bar it's even center and out edge but I was hitting the hills a lot :evilgrin0013:

BlackbirdRider
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Sounds like the pilot roads are pretty good tires from what I'm hearing I think ill give them a try

SF Boyz
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
you can always try the pilot road 2's. It also has dual compound technology as well.

UFO
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Put M3 Metzelers on my Triumph Sprint, loved the way they feeled, good performance, and seemed to be wearing very well when I sold the bike.

CBR600RIDA
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM
bridgestone bt016
tripple compound

CrimeDog
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I just ordered Continental (Conti) a RoadAttack for my DL1000 V-strom. Read a review of several name brand tires done in Europe, the RoadAttack came in first by a mile. Might be worth a look.

just ride
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Pilot road II. We have tested several sport touring tires and found that the PRII have done the best (good traction and great life). Next best were the Dunlop road smart. The down side to the PRII is the cost. They do run more, but the tire life offsets the higher price. Give me a call and I'll give you a quote on tires.
Matt
CWS Motorsports
559 285 2341

BlackbirdRider
Apr 29th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I went with a pair of road smarts. After talking to a few people with my same bike they all recommended the road smarts over the pr2s since they work better with this heavier bike i guess. Thanks to matt at cws for the great deal on the tires!!! took them on a ride up to shaver and they stick great never slipped once and got it all the way down so there is no chicken strip anymore. great tires!