PDA

View Full Version : Help

NightStalkeR1
Apr 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
This is probably a dumb question but I just wanna be sure cuz I've never done it before.
I wanna flush my radiator and put fresh coolant in my bike before the big heat comes around. My ? is if there is anything I need to know to do this the right way. I'm sure its easy to do but I just figured I'd ask anyway so I can make sure I dont do it wrong.

Thanks in advance

UFO
Apr 8th, 2009, 08:55 PM
This is probably a dumb question but I just wanna be sure cuz I've never done it before.
I wanna flush my radiator and put fresh coolant in my bike before the big heat comes around. My ? is if there is anything I need to know to do this the right way. I'm sure its easy to do but I just figured I'd ask anyway so I can make sure I dont do it wrong.

Thanks in advance

It's hazardous waste and needs to be disposed of properly. That being said, unless you ride in freezing weather or your bike is stored where it could get to freezing, I'd put either Redline Waterwetter or Royal Purple, Purple Ice in it with just water, no coolant. That is the best cooling combo around.

DynoDynge
Apr 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
It's hazardous waste and needs to be disposed of properly. That being said, unless you ride in freezing weather or your bike is stored where it could get to freezing, I'd put either Redline Waterwetter or Royal Purple, Purple Ice in it with just water, no coolant. That is the best cooling combo around.

I agree, but try to get ahold of some de-ionized water if you are going to mix your own solution. De-ionized water will stop corrosion associated with aluminum/magnesium coming into contact with water.

speedjunkie
Apr 8th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I agree, but try to get ahold of some de-ionized water if you are going to mix your own solution. De-ionized water will stop corrosion associated with aluminum/magnesium coming into contact with water.

thats what the water wetter is for.

deionized water is for when your running straight water.

DynoDynge
Apr 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
thats what the water wetter is for.

deionized water is for when your running straight water.

Water wetter is a surfactant to help the water dissipate heat. Straight water has ions that will cause scale & degeneration of metal.....Being a engineer on boilers gives me a heads up on water chemistry....SORRY

KDOG
Apr 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Use Water-Wetter with distilled water. That is what I have in mine. I'm ready for the hot weather. :)

DynoDynge
Apr 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Cheapest & easiest is the pre-mixed 50/50 that they sell that is made with de-ionized water. Most manufacturers recommend it.

Scarman
Apr 8th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Cheapest & easiest is the pre-mixed 50/50 that they sell that is made with de-ionized water. Most manufacturers recommend it.

Yep. That's what I've always done.

chromefonica
Apr 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM

:dblthumb2:

kidmoua
Apr 8th, 2009, 11:19 PM
It's hazardous waste and needs to be disposed of properly.

..and it also keeps the neighbor's cats away..for a long, long, long time

Joe Average
Apr 9th, 2009, 12:08 AM
actually in many localities, antifreeze can be poured down your toilet or sink. it's not considered hazardous waste by the epa unless it's contaminated in some way. i wasn't able to see if it's ok to put it down the drain in fresno county. someone at public works should be able to tell you. 262-4259.

speedjunkie
Apr 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Water wetter is a surfactant to help the water dissipate heat. Straight water has ions that will cause scale & degeneration of metal.....Being a engineer on boilers gives me a heads up on water chemistry....SORRY

yeah umm i never said anything about heat transfer. im pretty aware that water wetter makes the heat disipation much more efficient, sheesh it even says so on the bottle.

all i ment was that if your running straight water it has to be de ionized.

i flush mine often anyways so i dont have a problem running water wetter and tap water. been doing it a while and dont have a melted radiator yet, or engine problem.

DynoDynge
Apr 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Not a problem....I just know there is alot of misconception & myths about the effects of glycol or water in cooling systems and the effect they have on the longevity.
Just putting it out there
;)

DynoDynge
Apr 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM
For clarification, here is a clipping from Royal Purples web site:
Important Precautions: Antifreeze should be properly mixed and filled to manufacturers' specifications.
Distilled water and/or demineralized water should not be used if you elect to run a mixture of straight water and Purple Ice in your radiator.
Contact Royal Purple’s Technical Support department if you are considering using Purple Ice with straight water or if you have previously used another brand of coolant additive.
Call toll-free at 888-382-6300 or Email Technical Support.

I learned something new today!!! :dblthumb2:

UFO
Apr 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
..and it also keeps the neighbor's cats away..for a long, long, long time

Yeah, but doesn't that make the Pho hazardous to eat......

GSXR888
Apr 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM
It's really easy Aaron, it's so easy even I did it myself!:rolleyes: 3-4 gallons of distilled water to flush it and then replace it with water wetter, start your bike and let it reach temp, give the throttle 4-5 good blips with the radiator cap off to bleed the system of air, replace cap and your done! Easy peasy!