PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of someone that can fix my fork seal?

GSXR888
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM
Hey all, just got back from BW early due to the fact that I failed the tech inspection because of a blown right fork seal. Does anyone know of a good local shop that can fix it without charging me a kidney?

speedjunkie
Mar 1st, 2009, 09:18 PM
hey your near lemore call up craig at pirate motorsports. number is in my signiture. he can do it, or get you a deal on seals atleast.

CBR600RIDA
Mar 1st, 2009, 10:40 PM
check with sf boyz

Haubs1krr
Mar 1st, 2009, 10:46 PM
I will do it if you help.

If you get the seals and new oil we can do it in my garage. There is nothing to it. once you do it one time, you will wonder why people pay others to do it for them. Not worth paying someone.

GSXRMAN
Mar 1st, 2009, 11:14 PM
I will do it if you help.

If you get the seals and new oil we can do it in my garage. There is nothing to it. once you do it one time, you will wonder why people pay others to do it for them. Not worth paying someone.

Yup way easy man. :word: I showed Charles how to change them. Let me know I'll give you a hand for free.

GsxR1000Ryda
Mar 1st, 2009, 11:17 PM
I need to replace my seals on the 600 too

GSXRMAN
Mar 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM

Your 600 is easy. I showed Charles on my 01 gsxr 600 that i used to have.

kidmoua
Mar 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM
fork seals are overated..

I didn't need it for the track today

Haubs1krr
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
Ya man you can come on by too. I bet we can have both seals in both of y'alls bike down in about 3 hours.

Like John said, he showed me. I was intimidated and was gonna take it in. Man am I glad I didn't.

Sticka
Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
There is a step by step pictorial right here clicky! (http://imageevent.com/tlsdoug/tlzonestuff/tlrtlsforkdisassemblyreassembly;jsessionid=io8hhdw1q1.tiger_s)

The pictorial is on TL1000 forks, but they are all basically the same.

hippylong
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:49 AM
I go thru fork seals every 2 years.
they get destroyed by (sorry, gonna be graghic)
"crunchy bug bodies scraping away at your seals."
it happens... they are a normal wear out item..
here's a funny..
I'm riding an old vf1000r (till i get and old gsxr on the road)..
well the honda seals are so bad I was riding and had frok oil spew in a stream
up threw my faring and over my sholder.
I was like wtf? I look down and my faring was soaked...
In all my years or riding I never had my forks projectile vomiting before.
anyways..
I suggest every 2 years for replacement (needed or not)...
plus, you feel like you have brand new forks for dirt cheep.

kidmoua
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
I think all my fork oil leaked out after my first session, cause it stopped leaking afterwards

hippylong
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
I think all my fork oil leaked out after my first session, cause it stopped leaking afterwards

it was the heat.
you were flying so fast the heat swelled your forks to fit the seals.

kidmoua
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
it was the heat.
you were flying so fast the heat swelled your forks to fit the seals.

I thought it would be worst cause I was clamping down on the front brake lever and compressing the forks hard.

Haubs1krr
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
I thought it would be worst cause I was clamping down on the front brake lever and compressing the forks hard.
Mine was barely seeping, but I BLEW it out practicing hard braking. Came out in the garage the next morning and I had a 6" puddle under my fork!

kidmoua
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Mine was barely seeping, but I BLEW it out practicing hard braking. Came out in the garage the next morning and I had a 6" puddle under my fork!

my was seeping also.. but it stopped after a few hard laps around BW..might the oil be all gone already

Haubs1krr
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
my was seeping also.. but it stopped after a few hard laps around BW..might the oil be all gone already
I think that is a safe bet.

kidmoua
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
maybe I should just take it to poochie's mechanic to do my seals and brakes

Haubs1krr
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Man you can do all that yourself, no sense in paying someone for it.

SOUN1
Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM

Let me know when your planing to go over, I need to put his DYNO to use:D

GSXR888
Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!

SOUN1
Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!

Next time carry a rag with you and wipe it down before the tec. guy see it, that way you won't be going home alone!:DLOL...:popcorn: It was sad to see you ride off sooooooo early in the day.

GSXR888
Mar 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Next time carry a rag with you and wipe it down before the tec. guy see it, that way you won't be going home alone!:DLOL...:popcorn: It was sad to see you ride off sooooooo early in the day.

Its all good, I actually suffered a loss of a family member last Thursday so my heart really wasn't into it anyways I thought a short break from reality would be good. It really put life into perspecive for me though, when I failed tech I wasn't bummed or pissed off in the least. I have learned that little stuff like this means NOTHING in the great sceme of things. And the ride home was kinda nice I got a chance to clear my head for a bit, but mirrors would have been nice lol.

KRAYZ1
Mar 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
I do them for a small fee :popcorn:

GSXR888
Mar 3rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
I do them for a small fee :popcorn:

Thanks Kenny, I think I will take you up on that offer.

KRAYZ1
Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
:mad: all this talk of fork seals on the forum :nuke: I had the Z1k out of a short ride sunday got home and there is oil on the rim .... fork seal on the right fork
went to cycle gear and got the seals and fork oil for $ 22.24 .
seals on clearance $ 5.60
fork oil $ 14.99

MikeinFresno
Mar 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
9 out ten times a leaky seal is fixed by cleaning the dirt or bug out of it. If there is no nick in the tube or they are not 20yrs old then most likely they are dirty. Use the film method to clean and keep riding. Takes 20mins per side and you are off. Do it every month on one of my bikes. Ive only replaced 2-3 seals thru the last few years and one of them was cut from a tube scratch. Do yourself a favor and look into this. The shops dont want you to know thats for sure.

kidmoua
Mar 12th, 2009, 02:21 PM
9 out ten times a leaky seal is fixed by cleaning the dirt or bug out of it. If there is no nick in the tube or they are not 20yrs old then most likely they are dirty. Use the film method to clean and keep riding. Takes 20mins per side and you are off. Do it every month on one of my bikes. Ive only replaced 2-3 seals thru the last few years and one of them was cut from a tube scratch. Do yourself a favor and look into this. The shops dont want you to know thats for sure.

more info please

KRAYZ1
Mar 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
if the fork is leaking you have to put oil back in the fork. and you have to have the right amount of oil in both forks ... I just did my Z1k and one fork take's 400 ml. and one takes 385 ml. i don't know why but that is what the book said ?

MikeinFresno
Mar 12th, 2009, 06:32 PM
You pull down the wiper. Then use WD or some oil based cleaner to spray in the wiper and get all the dirt out of it. Work it around on the tube and more will come out.

Then do the spray into the seal area and use a rag, paper towel to wipe out as much as you can get out, maybe even a lite brushing with an old tooth brush. No brush too stiff cuz it may push more dirt in. Rinse it with the spray substance. You want all out that you can get so you dont push more into the seal. Push up n down on the forks and more dirt will come out. Do it all again.

Then use a thin piece of something to slide up between the seal and the metal tube. This was first done with 35mm film. Some use a paper business card, a credit card is too thick. I use a piece of soda bottle. I cut a 90* corner and then re-cut to give it a nice smooth 1/4" radius. I scrape the edges to get any burrs off. There is a commercial thing sold by Motion Pro I think, but I find it a little too thin and flimsy. I ruined the one I bought on the first use, it crumpled.

On to the actual work. Take the piece of material and slide a corner in there. Then work it all the way around the tube. Oil will ooze out. Do this at an angle so it will drag out the offending particles. Then pump up n down again. Do this 2-3 times.

Clean it all up, get the oil off by pumping up n down a few times and wiping. Then you will see that the oil is going away. Slide the wiper back into place and you are done.

If the seal is only oozing no worries about adding oil. If it was a biggger leak then you may have to add oil to get best function from the fork, but I doubt most of us are good enuf to know/feel the difference. I add oil thru the air bleed hole on my bikes if needed.

Any other questions?

up in smoke
Mar 12th, 2009, 06:36 PM
more info please

pop the dust seal off then run a business card between the seal (not the dust seal) and the chrome part of the tube.

KRAYZ1
Mar 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
they sell a seal cleaner at cycle gear ,
I just pull em apart put in new seals and freash oil ... but that's just me

MikeinFresno
Mar 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
you must like working on the bike and spending the money, I'd rather ride it and buy new tires.