PDA

View Full Version : Tool Library

MJJ
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Here's an idea... One of the great things about a local forum is that we are physically close enough to be of some use to each other in case of need. I am not talking about emotional support, don't call me at 3AM telling me how mean your wife/husband/boss/mailman is. I am talking about EQUIPMENT.

Basically the idea is that if you have a tool you would not mind loaning, or having a forum member use in your driveway, say what it is, and under what conditions you would consider loaning. I'm thinking of specialty motorcycle tools in particular, but if you don't mind strangers mucking about with your $12,000 collection of SnapOns, power to ya.

If this seems useful maybe we could sticky it.

I'll start. It's modest but it's what I have.

I have a cheesy little trailer that I use to take my SV to track day. I figure it is good to about 1000 lb, so 2 bikes should fit fine. If I'm not using it I don't mind loaning it. I would probably want a $50 damage deposit. At some point I'll edit in the ball size it takes (1-7/8 comes to mind but not sure).

I also have a front axle tool that fits my SV. It has other sizes and I have no idea what they fit. Probably most metrics. You're welcome to borrow it.

I have a set of tire irons made for motorcycles. Found that they are useless until you can get the bead off which I could not ever do. If they will help you out, stop on by, you are welcome to borrow them.

I have an ATV style floor jack (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P?keyword=jack) that weighs about 23,000 lb but is a nice lifter. It used to work great for the SV before I put on the M4 pipes, now it's useless. You can borrow it, or if you want to buy it, give me $40. (New one is $70 plus tax and you have to assemble it.) *SOLD*

Of course this will all fall apart if borrowers piss off lenders by breaking/losing/stealing their stuff. Don't borrow unless you are prepared to a) return in a timely manner, and b) purchase replacements in case of damage or loss. And I would suggest not loaning anything you really don't mind losing.

kidmoua
Dec 20th, 2007, 01:21 AM
That's a really good idea. If someone needs a certain thing of tool, just list it on here and hopefully someone might have it or have access to it.

MJJ
Dec 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Actually I'm thinking of this being a list of what's available, so if you need something I'd say start your own thread.

JPC
Dec 20th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I have a bunch of stuff that I acquired when I had to do some bottom end work on the Sportster. It doesn't get much use, but there's no substitute for the correct tool, and I still paid less to buy the stuff rather than have the shop do the work. Maybe it would be of some of use to another hapless rider with a broken tranny:

250 ft.lb. 1/2" drive torque wrench - works both directions for left hand threads (not all of them do)

30" long 1/2" drive breaker bar

Snap ring pliers for rings up to 6" diameter

Reply direct, my visits to the site are sporadic...

Patrick

mrlopez
Dec 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM
well i got a few tools like a small air compressor wich its always usefull when it come to removing hard parts to reach or like sprockets, struts etc, and i have a 2ton floor jack, ramp for loading and alot of other suff i cant remember:D

EvilJoe
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I have all kinds of stuff, tools, parts, service manuals, etc. I've done all the work on my bikes for many years now. I was an ASE certified master auto tech, unfortunately I let my cert lapse in '03. I've worked as a service manager and a tech in the M/C field, luckily I gained experience from it since the pay really sucked!
I have a snap on M/C lift, mercury sticks, rear stands, and most of the basic tools needed for general repair, I also have tools i'd like to sell soon.
I will update later with a list of other stuff that I can't think of now...

aaw749r
Apr 12th, 2008, 11:09 PM
5'x10' CNC plasma cutting table
8' 65 ton CNC press brake
50 ton iron worker
TIG, MIG, SMAW welders
Band Saw (12"x9")
Tubing Bender
10' 16ga sheet metal break
drill press
grinders and drills galore
Lots of reminant materials too.

But no damn 10mm wrench :(

Sorry, I win!

kidmoua
Apr 13th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'll trade you my 10mm wrench for your drill press :rolleyes:

aaw749r
Apr 13th, 2008, 12:40 AM
You hand me your 10mm and our job and I'll give you my shop. This economy is killing me. I'll make it but sometimes I wonder what I've gotten myself into.

aaw749r
Apr 13th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Nevermind, I've learned to hate turning wrenches on other peoples stuff. No patients for it.

aaw749r
Apr 13th, 2008, 01:26 AM
If you do use my equip you must abide by the same ruels as my employees

1) Don't Die
1A) Quit befor you hit - pertains to working on cell towers or any high place requiring a safety harness
2) If you are gonna be dumb you gotta be tough - if you do something stupid and get yourself hurt I don't have any sympathy (aka I don't care)
3) Be smarter than what you are working on/with - if you are struggeling with something simple I'll be sure to point it out. ("Don't let him up screwdriver, he jumped on you first")
4) Don't fvck it up! Don't let your pride get in the way, ask if you are not sure.

Daisy
Apr 13th, 2008, 02:01 AM
One our street we have every thing needed. If we dont have it we know where to get it. So if there is a tool needed. Let us know. That is Auggi, heloflt, and Daisy. We are great problem solvers,

Except for LED turnsignals. I am having problems with the wifes bike

Daisy
Apr 13th, 2008, 02:02 AM
OOOHHH and by the way. Aug lost one of my 10 MM today. Thats real funny

Scarman
Apr 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
5'x10' CNC plasma cutting table
8' 65 ton CNC press brake
50 ton iron worker
TIG, MIG, SMAW welders
Band Saw (12"x9")
Tubing Bender
10' 16ga sheet metal break
drill press
grinders and drills galore
Lots of reminant materials too.

But no damn 10mm wrench :(

Sorry, I win!

I think I'm in love. I used to work in a metal fab shop, and I miss having access to all that fun stuff. Every once in a blue moon I still find a need to burn some metal. Although it's been a while so I might do more harm with a TIG than good. I used to weld MIG, TIG, stick, and do cutting, brazing & hard facing all day long.

I have a very clean organized 3 car garage with a good selection of tools. I've been known to pull all the vehicles out of the garage so I can have several bikes in pieces for several days. Nothing more fun than a weekend garage party when the weather sucks. I also have a decent sound system in the garage.

I do have a large selection of 10mm wrenches if that makes anyone envious. Oh, I also have a custom made steering stem socket for the ST1300. It fits most large displacement Hondas and a few Kawasakis as well. I don't like buying expensive speciality tools, so I make them when I can.

I'm not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV, but I can fight my way through most stuff give a lot of time and a factory service manual. IMO a factory service manual is invaluable if you're going to be wrenching on your own bike. Especially if you don't have a clue... like me.

CRASH972
Apr 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
If you do use my equip you must abide by the same ruels as my employees

1) Don't Die
1A) Quit befor you hit - pertains to working on cell towers or any high place requiring a safety harness
2) If you are gonna be dumb you gotta be tough - if you do something stupid and get yourself hurt I don't have any sympathy (aka I don't care)
3) Be smarter than what you are working on/with - if you are struggeling with something simple I'll be sure to point it out. ("Don't let him up screwdriver, he jumped on you first")
4) Don't fvck it up! Don't let your pride get in the way, ask if you are not sure.

LOL I'm going to have to print this up and post it at work. :D

aaw749r
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Rule #2 was the golden rule growing up with my father.

If you are going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Frequently (not proud of it) my bumb out-weighed my tuff.:(

p.s. Don't tell the OSHA people about my list of employee rules :)

kidmoua
Apr 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Daymn Dave, can I eat off your garage floor?

Scarman
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Daymn Dave, can I eat off your garage floor?

Why not? Jester does. According to Larry, my garage rivals his O.R.