PDA

View Full Version : Gear Change

NightStalkeR1
Feb 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking about getting a driven power up kit for my bike. I'm wonderin which would be a better kit to get, the 15-45 or the 15-47. My next ? is if its hard to install. It doesn't look very hard to install but I've never done anything like that before

Calkidd
Feb 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM
One down in the front or three up in the rear is a popular set up for liter bikes.

Is is hard? No. But you need a chain breaker/Riveter tool.

Mike R6
Feb 10th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I'm thinking about getting a driven power up kit for my bike. I'm wonderin which would be a better kit to get, the 15-45 or the 15-47. My next ? is if its hard to install. It doesn't look very hard to install but I've never done anything like that before

I have a R6 and just bought 15-45 stock is 16-45.I have also decided to go with 520 chain.Not hard to install with chainbreaker.If you need help greenug and I live in Sanger he has also changed a couple chains, he's got the tools.

NightStalkeR1
Feb 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I have a R6 and just bought 15-45 stock is 16-45.I have also decided to go with 520 chain.Not hard to install with chainbreaker.If you need help greenug and I live in Sanger he has also changed a couple chains, he's got the tools.

Cool deal man. You will probably be hearing from me for some help. I'll buy you some Chuck Wagon or something

Red Wasp
Feb 10th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I got a driven power up kit and went -1,+2 (15front, 47rear), definatley the greatest power difference for you buck by far. I also did the 520 conversion and I had one of the guys on here help me do my chain. If you get the chain conversion make sure you hunt up a rivet on master link and go the extra mile to find someone with the tool to help you out because I have known those e-clip links to fail, and thats definatley not something that you want happening to you!!!!

NightStalkeR1
Feb 11th, 2009, 08:54 AM
One down in the front or three up in the rear is a popular set up for liter bikes.

Is is hard? No. But you need a chain breaker/Riveter tool.

Looks like I'll be ordering the chain kit. My stock gearing is 17/45 and the kits im finding are 15/47. Should this be ok or should I look for a 16/48 kit. Also, whats the better pitch 520 or 530. My stock is 530

mrlopez
Feb 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM
You'll probably will need a impact gun to remove the front sprocket their usually pretty tight I got one if you need it :-)

tripleplay6543
Feb 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I just went -1 on the front and kept the stock 45 in the rear on my 600. I noticed a much bigger difference in low end. I used a Vortex 520 kit and it has worked for me.

GreeNug
Feb 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Looks like I'll be ordering the chain kit. My stock gearing is 17/45 and the kits im finding are 15/47. Should this be ok or should I look for a 16/48 kit. Also, whats the better pitch 520 or 530. My stock is 530

15/47 would be way to low a gearing I would think if your stock gearing is 17/45.

Going up three teeth in the back is like going down 1 tooth in the front sprocket which is about what I would start with. I went up 2 teeth in the rear on my SV and I love it.

I would probably go with either 2 or 3 teeth up on the back sprocket = 17/47 or 17/48. Or I would go down 1 tooth in the front sprocket which would = 16/45 and see how you like it.

I would stick with the 530 chain on a liter bike unless you buy one of the best / most expensive 520 chains you can find so it is rated up to 1000cc's. I have heard of guys doing the 520 conversion even on Busa's but I'm not sure that I would trust one. :D

Ya, like Mike said I also live in Sanger and we have the stands, good riveting chain breakers, and impact wrenches you might need to get her done and I'm more than willing to give you a hand with it. I will be moving here in the next couple of weeks but I am sure we can get all the stuff changed out for you either after I'm @ my new house or maybe over @ your place?