PDA

View Full Version : Any Sand Riders here? Pismo under siege

Kevlar
Jan 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I see that this is mostly a street bike forum but I'm desperatly trying to reach any and all people who frequent the dunes at Pismo? I am representing the Friends of Oceano Dunes, website: http://www.oceanodunes.org/ which has been targeted by the Sierra Club and the Center for Biological Diversity for complete closure. We've successfully battled these orgs for the past 7 years but it is getting tougher. We need your help.

Go here for the facts http://www.oceanodunes.org/documents/2007/2007-2008-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Anyway, we are having our 7th annual Crab Feed fundraiser at the Kings County Fairgrounds in Hanford on March 21st and it is my hope that we can sell the place out. The cost is $40 each or $70 per couple. Corporate Sponsors are also welcome. Click here for more info http://www.oceanodunes.org/events/2009/crabfeed2009.pdf

Go here to purchase tickets http://www.oceanodunes.org/index.php?module=PayPalCart&cid=5

Most importantly, please notify everyone you know about this. 70% of the parks visitors come from the central valley and most dont even know its under threat of closure.

Please Help.

GsxR1000Ryda
Jan 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Sand rider here too! ill see what i can do to help the cause

Kevlar
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks Will, I see your from Fresno. A couple of guys from my riding group live in Clovis. There will be an event there soon.

Kevin

NightStalkeR1
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I am interested in this cause. My family and I it up the dunes alot during the summer, at least twice a month. I would hate for us for us to lose to the dunes. We have such a great time out there. I will talk to all my friends that go out there as well as my aunts and uncles who all go out there, im sure they would be happy to attend this fund raiser.

Kevlar
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM
2,000,000 people visit the dunes each year making it California's busiest state park. It would be a shame to the local economies if it were closed. Our biggest problem is we're so fragmented and unorganized and the opposition is anything but.

Agustin
Jan 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I don't understand. The dunes are already heavily used. What are enviromental groups trying to protect exactly? Isn't this like trying to saving farmland that's already been paved over?

Kevlar
Jan 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I don't understand. The dunes are already heavily used. What are enviromental groups trying to protect exactly? Isn't this like trying to saving farmland that's already been paved over?

Truth be told, they are really only trying to protect the world from the internal combustion engine. They dont give a spit about anything else.

:word:

Jester
Jan 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I just came from talking with my neighbor who just got back from there. He said it was 75* and NO wind!! (I'm hatin' him!) He also said while some areas near the entrance gate is cordoned off, a gate in the back has been opened allowing riders to go back further than ever before. I let him know of your post but he did not seem to take it seriously.

Kevlar
Jan 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM
It really is beautiful this time of year.

Tell your friend that he road into a closed area and its that kind of s**t that just feeds the guns of the opposition. And for those that think they cant close Pismo, take a look at the fact sheet above and see how many acres they've already closed.

Also, read my article here http://www.toyhaulermagazine.com/Pismo08.html

montibank
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Sand rider here. I know you are all pumped up, but most arent going to read this. What might get more attention is the map that shows just how much was open in the 70's and what is open today.

Just a thought. Most are busy and are not going to take the time out to read all that information (as wonderful as it may be). I sympathize with you that these areas are being closed at an alarming rate, and even I didn't read your call to arms.

Tell your friend that he road into a closed area and its that kind of s**t that just feeds the guns of the opposition.

Coming off angry and confrontational doesn't help our cause either. I was under the impression that portions of the Dunes are re-opened during certain seasons to allow expanded riding areas. Perhaps this is what this guy was referring to? Don't jump the gun, maybe he was in the right eh?

~

Michael

Jester
Jan 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
It really is beautiful this time of year.
Thank you very much Jester for talking to your neighbor about our important cause.
Tell your friend we'd love to serve him op some crab at the crab feast!!

Fixed.

All it took was sixteen words to break through your "armor." Perhaps Kevlar is not a good handle for you??

Good luck with your cause,

J

Jester
Jan 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Sand rider here. I know you are all pumped up, but most arent going to read this. What might get more attention is the map that shows just how much was open in the 70's and what is open today.

Just a thought. Most are busy and are not going to take the time out to read all that information (as wonderful as it may be). I sympathize with you that these areas are being closed at an alarming rate, and even I didn't read your call to arms.

Coming off angry and confrontational doesn't help our cause either. I was under the impression that portions of the Dunes are re-opened during certain seasons to allow expanded riding areas. Perhaps this is what this guy was referring to? Don't jump the gun, maybe he was in the right eh?

~

MichaelThank you Mike, and here I thought I was being sensitive.

McLuvin_R1
Jan 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I think these orginiations have nothing better to do than bother the people having fun....While were out riding shifting gears, kicking a$$ and taking names these bastards are doing everyhting in there power to stop it.....

One ride on the back of my bike in the dunes and those yuppies will be begging for another ride.

Tey will try but they will never close all of it.

Kevlar
Jan 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Sorry for being too blunt, but I am sensitive about those who break the rules only for one short blissful moment that results in all of us paying the price. Local adversaries routinely try to capture these folks on video tape to use against our cause. It is true they open up a good part of the riding area during the non-plover breeding season but your post made it sound that he went throught a "gate" that was opened. The only gate this time of year that I know of leads into the area that is designated as wetlands and is closed to riding permanently. I hope that I misunderstood.

Jester, i apologize and hope you understand. And hope your neighbor comes to the feed and hits me up. I'll buy him a beer.

Catalystic, I hope you are right!

Balz
Jan 15th, 2009, 05:15 AM
im heading to the dunes in 2 weeks but im going to see if we can make the crab feast

Kevlar
Jan 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Here is the map showing how much sand we've lost

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r237/kevlarzbucket/medres_FOOD_MAP1.jpg

Jester
Jan 18th, 2009, 10:26 AM
1982? Any more recent incursions?

GsxR1000Ryda
Jan 18th, 2009, 10:31 AM
1982? Any more recent incursions?

It's probably the same......

Kevlar
Jan 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Just the seasonal closures I mentioned above.