PDA

View Full Version : suspension set up to stiff.??

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Is there any good suspension guys around you folks know of.
I got a 03 r6 weigh a buk70 and I don't think it settles a quarter inch when I get on.

aaw749r
Dec 10th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Is there any good suspension guys around you folks know of.
I got a 03 r6 weigh a buk70 and I don't think it settles a quarter inch when I get on.

And what is wrong with that? I like it stiff.

Have Robert at Wilsons look at it.

JonJon
Dec 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
And what is wrong with that? I like it stiff.

whoooooa there ray. :gay:

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I jst thought it felt real stiff thought if I soften it up it
mite not feel so jittery ripping the corners. Or trying anyway

speedjunkie
Dec 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM
when you sit on the bike it should only settle about 30millimeters (its called sag) if the bike is feeling really "jittery" then it could be a couple things.

if it just feels to bumpy then take a little high speed compression dampening out. this will allow the suspension to react quicker over those sharp bumps.

also if you have not changed fork fluid in it trying doing that as well. suspension fluid just like engine oil breaks down over time with use. to have the rear shock rebuilt would be more expensive then doing the forks tho.

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I think it's more towards the bumpy side. Front seems ok
. Rear springs looks to be set a few notches above lowest setting.
I jst put new Mich pilot rd2ct. It has 12000 babied miles on it.
If any of that helps. Also I'm mainly going to be riding twisties

speedjunkie
Dec 10th, 2008, 02:59 PM
did you put all the miles on it? did it just start to feel stiff or has it always been that way? how long you been ridding?

if your going to ridding hard in the mountains you dont really want a soft squishy suspension. cant feel the road or what the tires are doing under you.

Calkidd
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Mike when you said you soften it what did you adjust? Did you turn the larger nut counter clockwise or did you go clockwise. Or did you adjust the small screw in the middle? For you weight the current suspension should work for you just fine.

GSXR888
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Bring it down to BW when we do our CVR track day and have Sean from Race Tech dial you in...;)

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I didn't touch any thing. Rather let a pro do it. My bro n law bought it new and put most the miles
On it. When I wasn't borrowing it. Ben riding dirt bikes,quads mst my life.
Got my class M in 01 tho on a87 vfr 250 that was fun and funny.
Went to a vstar 01. Then a 99 fat boy and now the r6.

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I'd love to do a trac day never ben b4. I live on 245 so I've ben practicing tite turns. Got the 20mile corner at 58
But I've never got to ride with any one yet jst reading every artical I can find on google.
Lol

Calkidd
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM
For a temporarily fix you can turn the preload out (CCW) about two - three turns. This should loosen up the front end for you.

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Tha front seems fine
Wh

Calkidd
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Tha front seems fine
WhI guess I missunderstood you then.

kidmoua
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I guess I missunderstood you then.

typical of a cop.. :rolleyes:

Calkidd
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:55 PM
typical of a cop.. :rolleyes:
All that work on that picture gone to waste.

speedjunkie
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
what point in the corner or on the road does it feel to stiff.

you are going to feel a lot of the road on a street bike tho. its designed into the bike. take maybe a turn of high speed compression out (softer) in the front and rear. as long as your sure its not due to your rear shock bottoming out.

also put a couple zip ties around the tubes on your fork to see how much travel you are using on one of your mountain runs. cruzing around town your obviously not going to use much. when the bike is going slow (say less than 50) its not going to ride like a cruiser. its setup a little stiff to handle the cornering braking and acceleration loads.

unless it handles poorly or is not nuetral then it needs some indepth tuning.

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I use a blackberry so pardon the short typing. And truthfully ot could just seem that way cause I'm
A rookie. I bought nice tires and was jst hoping to get my susp perfect 4 me since my bro was 220+. Thank
You for all your responses.

aaw749r
Dec 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
whoooooa there ray. :gay:

OK dirtbag.

On the track bike I can tell you what color the line is on the road without looking at it. The yellow lines are thicker. The R is almost as stiff.

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
?

aaw749r
Dec 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
?

The suspension on my bikes are extremely stiff, so stiff that when I run over a stripe in the road I can tell you the color by the thickness of the stripe. The yellow stripes are thicker and therefore provide more of a bump than the white stripes.

It was a joke on how stiff the ducks suspension is. Jon Jon was making a gay joke out of me saying I like it stiff, and I was just planting the seed for someone to say that.

GSXR888
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I know LDH (Les) is pretty good with these things, he posted a real nice graph a while back on suspension settings. Maybe someone can post it back up, I found it pretty helpful.

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Nice.lol. Is it all preference or would a softer ride mean better corners?

GsxR1000Ryda
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
If you can, try to make it to any track day even if your not riding the track. They usually have a suspension tech on hand and will tune your bike for YOU. It made a HUGE difference on how my 1000 handled the corners.

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I'd love to participate in your next track day. Who do I contact?
Do you ride your bikes to the trac or haul them.

GsxR1000Ryda
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Do you ride your bikes to the trac or haul them.

make this your first track day
http://www.centralvalleyriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3069
Kind of far but its going to be a BLAST!!!!
And yes, we haul are bikes but if u just want to get your suspension tune, u could ride too

Calkidd
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Do you ride your bikes to the trac or haul them.You let me know if you want to go to this track day I can put you on the list. However, there is some set up you will need to do other than preparing your bike. Like, leather suit boots gloves. However if you are only wanting to try out a track day I am sure we can find you a suit and boots you can borrow.

Calkidd
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Kind of far but its going to be a BLAST!!!!
What do you mean? This is the closet track we have.

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:38 PM
That would b sweeeet! Hopefully ill be able to ride and meet sum of you b4 then to. I'm Dwn
To go. I wanna ride.I got a big toy hauler probably hold 5 bikes I'd be willing to ride share split gas.

GsxR1000Ryda
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
What do you mean? This is the closet track we have.

Far as in couple months far

Calkidd
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
That would b sweeeet! Hopefully ill be able to ride and meet sum of you b4 then to. I'm Dwn
To go. I wanna ride.I got a big toy hauler probably hold 5 bikes I'd be willing to ride share split gas.Now your talking...

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Any good used leather suits out there cheap. I'm 5'7" buk70.

GsxR1000Ryda
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Any good used leather suits out there cheap. I'm 5'7" buk70.

google: Teknic Chicane suit ($300)

luv4pits
Dec 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Wow.suits can get outta hand. Once I get to a regular computer ill search more.
Wouldn't mind finding a used top brand one for a good deal.
I got a AGV jacket. And I sport most my dirt bike grind gear under my
Jeans when I practice up the twisties.

Some

Calkidd
Dec 10th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Wow.suits can get outta hand. Once I get to a regular computer ill search more.
Wouldn't mind finding a used top brand one for a good deal.
I got a AGV jacket. And I sport most my dirt bike grind gear under my
Jeans when I practice up the twisties.

Some
Give Matt at CWS a call he will hook you up fo sho.

Devlausdan
Dec 10th, 2008, 10:51 PM
google: Teknic Chicane suit ($300)

Really?? That's what I'm looking to spend next. No more big dollar suits for me. Is that the suit you have?

GsxR1000Ryda
Dec 10th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Really?? That's what I'm looking to spend next. No more big dollar suits for me. Is that the suit you have?

nope its the one i sold to doug

Devlausdan
Dec 10th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Give Matt at CWS a call he will hook you up fo sho.

Yep, I'd eye-balled one there that's all black and fully perforated front and back for $500. Some more tears and wear in my current suit and that one's coming of the shelf at Matt's place.

Devlausdan
Dec 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM
nope its the one i sold to doug

And your's is?

GsxR1000Ryda
Dec 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
And your's is?

Teknic Violator

Devlausdan
Dec 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Teknic Violator

I'll look into it too. Dinero??

luv4pits
Dec 11th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I'm not familiar with any of the shops where do I find cws

Calkidd
Dec 11th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Contact Just Ride (http://www.centralvalleyriders.com/forums/member.php?u=38) he is the owner of CWS. He will hook you up.

luv4pits
Dec 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Dang. The sites easy to navigate on my regular computer.lol. 3inch screen on the blackberry is killing me. Anyway nice site. Somday i'll get a i-net hook up n the country.

GSXR888
Dec 11th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'll look into it too. Dinero??

Here ya go Dan...http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead.com/Leather_suits_home.html Give you an idea what they are going for. Talk to Matt.

Devlausdan
Dec 11th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Here ya go Dan...http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead.com/Leather_suits_home.html Give you an idea what they are going for. Talk to Matt.

Thanks Ray