PDA

View Full Version : Jawbone Canyon accident

sanford
Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Did anybody hear anything about the two clovis women over the weekend?

kidmoua
Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
jawbone canyon??

JonJon
Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Did anybody hear anything about the two clovis women over the weekend?

Was Shelly Herzog, family friend of mine. It happened on Tuesday of last week. They were coming down Horny Toad hill on a Rhino with no safety equip.

sPAnKy1600
Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Was Shelly Herzog, family friend of mine. It happened on Tuesday of last week. They were coming down Horny Toad hill on a Rhino with no safety equip.

and?

JonJon
Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
and?

annnnd it flipped and killed them..

sanford
Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry. Tragic. How did they get a rhino on top of Horny Toad? Actually, none of my buisness, sorry for your loss.

sPAnKy1600
Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
damn that sucks... sorry to hear that

SeanK559
Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
annnnd it flipped and killed them..

RIP that sucks man, sorry to hear about that.

wildbear
Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
I feel your loss man, sorry

Jester
Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Was Shelly Herzog, family friend of mine. It happened on Tuesday of last week. They were coming down Horny Toad hill on a Rhino with no safety equip. ATGATT Y'all!

RIP

What a waste!

SeanK559
Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
ATGATT Y'all!

RIP

What a waste!
:word:

gsxr_man
Dec 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I was at Clawsons on Monday and one of the guys was telling me about it.

R.I.P.

GsxR1000Ryda
Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I heard about the whole story. This woman at work knew the family. The daughter and mom were driving separate Rhinos. They were on top of a cliff/mountain thinking about going down it. Well sure enough the 16yr old went first, endowed, snap her neck. Her mom was right behind her and died the same way. What a tragedy. RIP

HBOMBCYCLES
Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
side by sides have a bad name right now especially yamaha rihnos. they have been going thru some **** alot of law suits i heard.... they even had a recall by putting some doors on them becuase so many people get hurt..... :confused: sorry to hear about ur loss i was there that weekend tragic

Jester
Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
side by sides have a bad name right now especially yamaha rihnos. they have been going thru some **** alot of law suits i heard.... they even had a recall by putting some doors on them becuase so many people get hurt..... :confused: sorry to hear about ur loss i was there that weekend tragic

I don't know the exact details but if the women were using these vehicles outside their design perameters, the result is not suprising. Rhino's are not ATVs. I sincerely hope they were not using them as such.........:(

More here. (http://forum.toyhaulnhooligans.com/showthread.php?t=1619)

L2fly
Dec 4th, 2008, 10:56 PM
That's just too sad... that poor family, and right before the holidays... :(

swankster
Dec 5th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Was this the daughter? does anyone have more on this?

http://mi-cache.legacy.com/legacy/images/Cobrands/FresnoBee

Rayshelle Venegas
Rayshelle was born in Fresno, on November 11, 1992, to Ray Venegas and Shellie Mazzei. She passed away on Thursday, November 25, 2008, at the age of 16. Rayshelle was very outgoing and adventurous which led to her passion for wakeboarding and snowboarding. She could always be found on the slopes in the winter and at the beach in the summer. She enjoyed spending time with her family, her boyfriend Michael, and her many friends. Rayshelle loved her dog "Juicy" and carried her around everywhere she went. She was a shopaholic and loved all kinds of music. She was known for her loud, crazy laugh and her big heart. Rayshelle attended Central East High School where she was in her sophomore year. While her life was cut short, it was lived to the fullest. She will be deeply missed. We Love You Ray Ray She is survived by her father and best friend Ray Venegas; her brothers Ryan Inchaurregui, Dustin and his wife Michelle Herzog; her sister Lisa Mazzei; her grandparents, Rose and Chuck Jenkins, Richard Herzog and Kari Traxler, Paula and Hogi Selling; her great-grandparents Joe Amaro, Darrell and Ann Herzog, and Irvin and Peggy Sullivan; her many aunts and uncles, Roberta and Eric Westendarp, Joe Castro, Rachel Thayer and spouse, Andrea Watterson and spouse, Cliff Downing and spouse, Craig Downing and spouse, Bryan Herzog and spouse; and many other friends and relatives that loved her dearly. The Viewing will be held at Boice Funeral Home in Clovis, on Wednesday, December 3, 2008, from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. In memory of our beautiful and precious daughter, sister, granddaughter, cousin, and friend, a Funeral Service will be held at Clovis Hills Community Church on Thursday, December 4, 2008, at 10:00 a.m. She loved animals and in lieu of flowers we ask for any donations to please be sent to the Valley Animal Center, 3934 N. Hayston, Fresno, Ca. 93726 BOICE FUNERAL HOME 308 Pollasky Avenue Clovis, Ca. (559)299-4372

Sprocket
Dec 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Here it says they were ejected from the vehicles. I went to high school with the Mother.

http://www.tehachapinews.com/home/ViewPost/82964

Jester
Dec 5th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Interesting. (httphttp://www.google.com/search?q=Yamaha+Rhino+rollover&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SUNA_en://) Seems there is a history with this vehicle and safety.

L2fly
Dec 6th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Interesting. (httphttp://www.google.com/search?q=Yamaha+Rhino+rollover&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SUNA_en://) Seems there is a history with this vehicle and safety.

Your link isn't working but I googled it myself... what I don't get is, don't these things have seat belts? How can being thrown from these things be so common? They should come with 4-point restraints, heck, those with the roll cage, can't see how they wouldn't be the safest thing out there... :confused2:

GsxR1000Ryda
Dec 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Your link isn't working but I googled it myself... what I don't get is, don't these things have seat belts? How can being thrown from these things be so common? They should come with 4-point restraints, heck, those with the roll cage, can't see how they wouldn't be the safest thing out there... :confused2:

they werent wearing the seatbelts from when i heard

Kevlar
Dec 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, I just joined this forum to comment on this trajic accident. I met Shellie and her husband Frank on a ride we did up at Dusy Ershim last summer in our Rhinos. During that ride they were always safety conscious and wore their lap belts. They did not have 5-point harnesses which is aftermarket on this machine.

Remember, the Rhino was never intended for this kind of riding and in my opinion the user assumes all the risks. Frank has told me that they were wearing their lap belts, but looking at that hill, I doubt even 5-points would've saved them. All this was, was a bad decision and it was not on the daughters part. She was following a Rhino down that successfully made it. How, I'll never know. She must've locked the breaks, and you all know what happens when you lock brakes in a 1,300lb vehicle on a steep hill. Must've skidded out of control. The person that led them down that hill must feel terrible.

UTV's when used responsibly are very safe. Please dont blame the vehicle.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r237/kevlarzbucket/laughlindustin2106.jpg

UFO
Dec 6th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Kevin, First and foremost, sorry for your loss. I don't think anyone on here was blaming the UTV. One thing about this forum is, and I hope you stick around to find out for yourself, there is always a lot of discussion on here when a tragic accident happens. And a lot of opinions vary, but, we always seem to learn something and it makes everyone a little safer when it is done. Again, sorry for your loss, and hope to see you around some more.

Kevlar
Dec 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I do get that, I belong to more forums than I can count. And that was purely my aim, to educate people. Thanks.

bigdaddie
Dec 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM
for everybodys wondering both MY WIFE AND DAUGHTER were wearing seat belts rayshell had on her lap belt and shoulder harnness, but not the croch strape,,shellie had on only her lap belt ,why i dont know..she was always so persistant about telling every body to put on there seatbelts. the two were on the way back to dove springs when the leader of the group decided to take a short cutback is what he told me..if any of you been to jaw bone and seen horney toad hill that sure aint no f ----en short cut ..i lost 2 loved ones,,and i sure dont blame yamaha for there death..some people are sue happy, and its a shame for people to try and put the blame on someone eles. when all infact probibley most accidents or deaths are from rider error,, or misjudgement..remember know your terrian your on and most of all make sure the leader knws what the h--l they are doing....thank for your time ride safe

up in smoke
Dec 10th, 2008, 12:29 AM
sorry for your loss.

just keep going my cvr friend. that's all any of us can do.

Calkidd
Dec 10th, 2008, 07:40 AM
for everybodys wondering both MY WIFE AND DAUGHTER were wearing seat belts rayshell had on her lap belt and shoulder harnness, but not the croch strape,,shellie had on only her lap belt ,why i dont know..she was always so persistant about telling every body to put on there seatbelts. the two were on the way back to dove springs when the leader of the group decided to take a short cutback is what he told me..if any of you been to jaw bone and seen horney toad hill that sure aint no f ----en short cut ..i lost 2 loved ones,,and i sure dont blame yamaha for there death..some people are sue happy, and its a shame for people to try and put the blame on someone eles. when all infact probibley most accidents or deaths are from rider error,, or misjudgement..remember know your terrian your on and most of all make sure the leader knws what the h--l they are doing....thank for your time ride safe
Frank, you are a strong man to be able to express this sad incident to a bunch of strangers. May God and his protective hand be with you and your family during this tragic time.

I hope you stick around here on CVR as we are unique in a way that the forum members are all from the Central Valley. We will be here for you and I am sure some of us would help you out if you decide you need it.

desmolvr
Dec 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Frank - I am so sorry for your loss. I have been told by those who know you that going to the desert was what you and your family loved to do. May you remember the great times, may God give you peace in this time.