PDA

View Full Version : New Tires For The Track

Red Wasp
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Its about that time to invest in some new tires for my R6, but I was wondering if anyone has some input on which ones would serve me the best on the track and hold up well on the street as well or is it better to just get two seperate sets.

Calkidd
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:17 AM
You are going to get a lot of opinions, but I would look in to the Pirelli Corsa III's, Michelin Pilot Powers, Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's, or Dunlop Qualifiers.

StreetFanaticEd
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Pirelli Corsa III for track and street!!
Or if you want two sets:
Dunlop 208 GP DOT for track and Pilot Power for street

sPAnKy1600
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Its about that time to invest in some new tires for my R6, but I was wondering if anyone has some input on which ones would serve me the best on the track and hold up well on the street as well or is it better to just get two seperate sets.

unless you tear tires up like nobodies business i'd say

pirelli rosso
pirelli corsa
pirelli corsa III

mich-pilot power
mich-pilot power 2ct
mich-pilot road 2 (pricey but just as soft yet they last)

bridge bt-014
bridge bt-016

i like pirelli's the best... but chose wat you like... those are all good street tires from cheapest to priciest

if you're just gettin into the track, i'd say these tires will all work fine..

sPAnKy1600
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
You are going to get a lot of opinions, but I would look in to the Pirelli Corsa III's, Michelin Pilot Powers, Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's, or Dunlop Qualifiers.

personally i'd wouldn't reccomend regular street dunlop qualifiers for track... they the regular cheap ones never held up very good from my expiriences with them...

Red Wasp
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Ya I have been running the dunlap qualifiers since I got my bike and they seem to work well for the street thats why I wanted to see if there was an better option for the track/street.

Calkidd
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I forgot to mention to look in to the BT-16's. These are multi compound tires.

Red Wasp
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM
What kinda miles are you getting with the corsa III's?

Calkidd
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I only ran the III's on the track and I did not like them.

Wile_E_Coyote
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I read a nice article by Keith Code about not buying tires above your ability. So keep that in mind.

I've read that this is a great street tire, but not a great track tire. The edge is very soft and heats up a lot on the track and then suffers on grip.

sPAnKy1600
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM

i get 1800-2200 miles to a rear, and 2400-2600 miles to a front on my corsa III's

but i hear most people get about 2800-3500 miles out of a rear and 4000-4500 to a front..

regular pilot powers are great and the comprable pirelli would be the rosso...

they both get plenty sticky, priced better, and last a couple thousand miles..

Calkidd
Nov 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I've read that this is a great street tire, but not a great track tire. The edge is very soft and heats up a lot on the track and then suffers on grip.I feel the same way about the Corsa III's. They get a little greasy after a while on the track.

Daisy
Nov 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I will be running Dunlap Qualifiers on March 1st. Thats what I am used to and well I think thats what I should run my first day since I know what they are like. Dont want to make changes my 1st day.

GSXR888
Nov 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM
DCIII's FTW! Great feed back, sticks like glue but my only complaint is they don't last long. I got 4k (and 2 track days) out of my set before the cords in the rear was showing.

aaw749r
Nov 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I have a set of gently used Pirelli Super Corsa Pro's that have 2 track days on them I'll sell ya for the track if you want to go that rout. They should have 2 more track dys in them. $120 for the set (120/180)

kidmoua
Nov 20th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I just run whatever is cheaper

sPAnKy1600
Nov 20th, 2008, 03:15 PM
DCIII's FTW! Great feed back, sticks like glue but my only complaint is they don't last long. I got 4k (and 2 track days) out of my set before the cords in the rear was showing.

you shouldn't be complaining AT ALL if you get 4k miles out of a rear corsaIII with or without 2 trackdays

ducbill996
Nov 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM
it depends on how hard you ride as far as mileage goes... i would use DCIII's if you don't ride really hard at the track... i used to get about 1500 to 1800 miles out of a set( on a few occasions i've gotten even less)... if your really aggressive at the track, go with the supercorsa's... but like others have said, they are all good tires and it comes down to personal preferance...

Blakester
Nov 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Street tires these days are so damn good, I ran a 2:10 on 2ct's at BW earlier this year and was shocked at how well they stuck. It is amazing at how good the tires have gotten. My best time there is a 2:01 and that is on Dunlop Slicks and then the next lap I highsided..LOL

killa kali
Nov 20th, 2008, 08:47 PM
i just bought some bt-016's...i love them...i originally had OEM qualifiers (i've never been on a track) but i would never want to ride qualifiers on track...i read a review of the bt-016's on the track, and they said they only over heated when riders truly pushed them to the limit...just my :zz2cents:

speedjunkie
Nov 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM
the qualifiers worked very well on the track with my sv650s. did not have the power of your r6 but i liked them for the most part. id recoment the bridgestone bt-016. I had the 015 on my 1000 from the factory and they are basically the same tire just a single compound. really liked those tires, especially the rear.

first couple track days on a 600 your not going to over heat the tire. After maybe like 5 days then can go with something more track oriented, but those will be good. the temps will be cool at all the track for a few months and by the time it gets to hot they will be worn out from just normal use.

Also i think avon has a tire out that is a multi compound street/track tire but the way the tire is made the transition from firm to softer rubber is much more gradual then all tires mentioned so far. suposedly give more confidence in transitioning from full lean to getting on power and comming out of the lean.

GSXR888
Nov 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
you shouldn't be complaining AT ALL if you get 4k miles out of a rear corsaIII with or without 2 trackdays

I know, I got 6k outta my Pilot Powers:(

Sticka
Nov 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I know, I got 6k outta my Pilot Powers:(

Dayum!! I get 2500 out of a set of 208's!!
Street riding only!
I only get 6k out of the Metzelers on my Beemer.....and that's a touring tire!! :confused2:

GsxR1000Ryda
Nov 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Ive ran through several sets of the Dunlop 208's, Qualifiers and soon 209Gps and NEVER been disappointed.

McLuvin_R1
Nov 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM

Awsome Tires Ive used them still got em