PDA

View Full Version : Track Days

Calkidd
Aug 28th, 2007, 09:49 PM
So far I have gone to three track days this year at Buttonwillow. All I can say is I have learned so much about myself and the bike's ability. Contrary to popular belief the track is not a place just to see how fast you can go, that is not what it is about. The track is a controlled environment where there is nothing else to think about, but only you and the machine.

What I am getting at is I am always out looking for company and others who want to enjoy the same thrill as I do. Adrian is my road dog and has gone to two out of the three. He would have gone on the third, but it was on a Monday.

The next track day I would like to attend is at Thunderhill in Willows, Ca on Sat October 6, 2007 . The day is put on by www.keigwin.com. I recently attended Keigwins at Buttonwillow and found that the event was put together very well.

Before I even make an event I thought I would see if anyone is really interested.

yoageallen
Aug 29th, 2007, 07:25 PM
So far I have gone to three track days this year at Buttonwillow. All I can say is I have learned so much about myself and the bike's ability. Contrary to popular belief the track is not a place just to see how fast you can go, that is not what it is about. The track is a controlled environment where there is nothing else to think about, but only you and the machine.

What I am getting at is I am always out looking for company and others who want to enjoy the same thrill as I do. Adrian is my road dog and has gone to two out of the three. He would have gone on the third, but it was on a Monday.

The next track day I would like to attend is at Thunderhill in Willows, Ca on Sat October 6, 2007 . The day is put on by www.keigwin.com. I recently attended Keigwins at Buttonwillow and found that the event was put together very well.

Before I even make an event I thought I would see if anyone is really interested.

Keigwin's rocks! I'm in for sure!

yoageallen
Aug 29th, 2007, 07:36 PM
It's easy. Tape up your lights, have good tires( 75% or better tread), tape your mirror, or take them off, make sure that every thing is tight and in order mechanically, and wear leathers or a motorcycle jacket and dedicated riding pants with full gauntlet gloves and riding boots. This is all that is necessary to start your day at the track! The people are great, and ready to help you out when ever you need help or have a question. They even have instructors that will ride with you and show you how to be better. I have seen everything from a Hyosung 250 to a Honda Goldwing on the track. I would say if you are at least an average street rider your experience is good enough to ride on the track. They even divide it up by three different experience levels. Fun for every body! Some people say it is more dangerous, but I believe that crashing at the track is much safer than on the street! Just use your head and the track is as safe as It can be on a motorcycle.

mrlopez
Aug 30th, 2007, 08:15 PM
am probably in, never been in one but would love to, lets keep in touch

ducdale
Aug 31st, 2007, 11:40 AM
I really would like to try a track day, maybe towards the end of the year. I have been thinking about taking lessons from a organization called "The Class" held at Laguna Seca. It sounds like they have training that is a cross between street and track. Has anyone gone to any of their events?

I found a link that I feel address street riding versus track...check it out http://www.eastcoastmarc.org/art_the_pace.htm

yoageallen
Aug 31st, 2007, 03:49 PM
am probably in, never been in one but would love to, lets keep in touch
I think that you would have a really good time!

mrlopez
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
How much does it cost for a track day? just wondering

yoageallen
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Between $180 and $350 depending on where you go. I believe that Thunderhill is $220 where we are planning to go.

Calkidd
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
For those of you thinking about the track day on October 6th make sure to sign up with in a reasonable amount of time. Thunderhill Raceway seems to fill up quickly.

I have just recently built a three bike trailer so with my bike and Adrian's bike that leaves one space for someone who would need a ride there. If it comes down to it I can remove the Taneau cover and haul one more bike. However, that greatly reduces the space I have for fuel, gear, clothing etc.

I don't care about sharing a hotel room the more the better and the cheaper. The hotel looks to be about $60/night at the Super8 (http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booking/check_avail?brandCode=SE,MQ,DI,HJ,KG,RA,TL,BU&searchWithinMiles=25&areaType=1&destination=willows&stateName=California&state=CA&countryName=United%20States&country=US&checkInDate=10/05&numberAdults=2&numberRooms=1&checkOutDate=10/06&numberChildren=0&rateName=Best%20Avail&rate=000&id=02920&propBrandId=SE&force_nostay=false). It could be possible to stay that night after the track because the drive back to Fresno will be a long one.

mrlopez
Sep 2nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
How far its Thunderhill raceway? and where did you sign up?:confused:

Calkidd
Sep 2nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Thunder Hill Raceway (http://www.thunderhill.com/) is in Willows, Ca (http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&2si=gaz&un=m&qpc=Beekeepers&2gi=0&1rc=A5XAX&cl=EN&qq=klcviX52lw7TcolhauyLCud1eIVwqasrUQN4BlXrPW9TRGBD9q%252bjFxW%252f6IoK8Lfy5o2xR38%252fUFTtAT8TCZzuKhKjOxt0cBg8EXnro3p64BnSKhrxJcrplNdm9tl7karGYqWL0%252fVXLUSoJK8qGzer2qVJqlaNJuQNxlx8HGRsXJmQBuIlAb6rU4SxxaKEh9wMDVBEdFAt%252fsBN9UHabFDMrKiH6Z3xtsIQT8n%252fmWkc%252bJoXad2qp6Wtb41SqWUTOCRQVTuiquhlrIVgDEEUlhP9ReRKppnH%252b5ESQNtzMeVT4IpmSgOjW8S7K6oRiY8TtHS%252bPBboi0iOAKfxOXxeGl5GSXcLmLAXsGvl8VRhCW%252fRqqA%253d&ct=NA&r=f&1si=gaz&2da=-1.000000&2rc=A5XAX&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=iCQ6eleuQDlohzsjo7kj0Q%253d%253d&1g=LrYctl5bk6Xm6DDqgffdWA%253d%253d&1pl=&1v=CITY&1n=Fresno+County&1pn=&1a=&1c=Clovis&1s=CA&1z=&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=Willows&2s=CA&2z=&panelbtn=2) about 4 hours north of here. Look at my first post and you will see a link for Keigwin's.

mrlopez
Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Hey I notice thet dont have a novice for the 6 of octuber, wich I think I am; you guys are riding advance courses:confused:

Calkidd
Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:22 AM
I was just noticing that.....I ride B+(fast intermediate). I finally read most of his website and realized he only has novice schools at specific dates. He does not offer novice track days. In that case I suggest attending www.rideredshift.com as this was the most positive, friendly track event I have gone to. The instructors are your average every day Joe not the super ego racer. They do have Bobby Fong as an instructor but he is busy with AMA Supersport.

The class Red Shift puts on is good and allows you to become familiar with track days at a slower pace. Once you get the hang of it you can solicit other instructors to help you out. So far Red Shift is the only track day club I have gone to where you can sign up with a specific instructor for one 20 minute session at a time.

I have never attended Keigwin's school so I can not say anything about it. If you can stroke a two day class then I say go for it. Red Shift is a basic class for familiarization, but it looks as if Keigwin's is more in depth.

mrlopez
Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
The onlt thing with rideredshift the only have monday race track days :( anybody else may do weekends?

Calkidd
Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
That is the other problem. A lot of these track clubs rent the track on weekdays because the rates are cheaper.

yoageallen
Sep 6th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I signed up and am set to jet!

yoageallen
Sep 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.champ-racing.net/welcome.html
Here is the race track in a video

motovelo
Sep 14th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I've done quite a few track days and a couple of races at Willow Springs. If you really want to develop your riding skills and explore the potential of your sportbike in a controlled environment, the track is the place. No on-coming traffic, no po-po, no suv drivers dialing their cell phones while trying to swat the kids in the back seat and still not spill their vente, non-fat, soy latte while killing you.

Here are a few (slow) laps from a track day at Willow Springs (the big track) I did earlier in the year. These laps are in the mid 1.40s. Competitive pace starts around 1.35... Track record for a bike is 1.19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFV_U16a8as"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFV_U16a8as

mrlopez
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Hey motovelo, look like you got alot of experience, want to show me a few tips? like knee draging lol:):D

motovelo
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Hey motovelo, look like you got alot of experience, want to show me a few tips? like knee draging lol:):D

Dood... You should save those questions for Keith Code.

The first time my knee slider touched the pavement, I nearly stunk up my leathers. A true "WTF was that?!" experience.

If anyone plans on going to WSIR for the first time, let me know and I can at least show you which way the track goes.

yoageallen
Sep 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Motovelo, lets go to thunderhill! Oct. 6 saturday.

motovelo
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Motovelo, lets go to thunderhill! Oct. 6 saturday.

I'm already set for WSIR on the 8th, but thanks for the invite!