PDA

View Full Version : My bike just went out of comission!!!

rated_r1
Oct 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Well we all know theres a saying: There is 2 type of riders, those who have been down and those that will go down. Well I already have the box "checked". I guess I had to move on to something else.
I was riding home down Kearny when my back tire began fish taling really bad. I thought ok blow out, look back and see clouds of smoke racing out my exhuast. I put it in Neutral and shut the bike off Imed., I caost over to a near school and parked. I don't know how this happend but my oil pan right where the drain bolt goes was dinged up and the drain bolt came off and the threads were stripped. This is the first time I've riden my bike since the AMA at Seca. It's been in my garage so knowone could have touched it. So I sit there thinking great my brand new oil change down the drain, oil pan jacked, drain bolt missing. Now I can't even turn it on because I have no oil or bolt. I want to hear if there is internal damage. Some guys just have all the luck and I always feel like I get it. I know one color smoke is worse than the other, white or black. When I looked back I saw white clouds. It all happened so quick I hope the bike is ok. I got to order the oil pan and bolt, fill it up with oil and turn it on and pray I don't hear any nosies. I guess I better start saving my pennies because I am broke. :pissedoff:
There was an event at the nearby Kearny park so there was alot of traffic passing by, out of the hundreds of cars 1 person stopped. That's friggin' great, where good humanity at? I don't own a ramp, tie downs or a truck. Luckily my buddies nieghbor is a stand up guy and lent him a ramp, tie downs and a truck. I owe him so much right now because I was going to walk my 20 miles home. Know I know buy a ramp, tie downs and a truck too, lol. Not the truck. :(

r6squid
Oct 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
That sucks man. I hope you can get things back in working order.

rated_r1
Oct 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM

As do I, but that requires money. Money I don't currently have. Plus X-mas around the way, wife's b-day in Jan. Wedding Anni in March. Only one way to put it, if anything other than just the oil pan and bolt need fixing. My bike will sit until next riding season, and I'll be killing myself at work with the OT to try and have it running by then.

junglicious
Oct 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Let me know if you need a truck and help. If im not busy I'll be happy to pick you and your bike up. You have my number Jay.

UFO
Oct 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Your probably going to be ok, the smoke was most likely from the oil hitting the exhaust, and you stopped right after it started leaking on your rear tire. So, not much oil drained out........Good Luck!

rated_r1
Oct 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Let me know if you need a truck and help. If im not busy I'll be happy to pick you and your bike up. You have my number Jay.

Thanks bro. I got it home fine. I got to get the oil pan and oil to determine if theres is anything else I need. Until then.....................................

rated_r1
Oct 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Your probably going to be ok, the smoke was most likely from the oil hitting the exhaust, and you stopped right after it started leaking on your rear tire. So, not much oil drained out........Good Luck!

Yea, I watched as most of it drained out where I stopped. I walked back and follwed my trail, it looks like I noticed it real quick. As soon as I fish taled real hard I thought I had a blow out or for some reason my rear axel gave out. So I looked down but didnt notice the oil leaking until about 10 sec's later. It just sucks when these set back's happen.

McLuvin_R1
Oct 19th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Oil pans just dont fall off, what could of caused this?

Daisy
Oct 19th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Well its sucks man. But I think UFO is going to be right. Dont think it will be a big deal. If it started making noise on you and then smoking then that is when i would be worried.

As to how could this have happened. Well he just changed the oil the plug worked its self loose and fell out. Poop happens sometimes.

rated_r1
Oct 19th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Well its not just the bolt. The oil pan is dinged up just in front of the bolt. I rode all the way to Monterey and back then around Fresno once, that same day then parked it till yesterday. I'm thinkin a nice sized hard rock maybe bounced up at it? Kearny isn't the cleanest of streets. Especially out n the country.

MadKaw
Oct 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
is the oil pan actually leaking? if not then leave it alone.

rated_r1
Oct 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM
It has little gash right by where the bolt is, whatever caused that gash and dent Im sure is what caused that bolt to fall off. Maybe a hard rock or something that I didnt see on the road? I was looking to the side at two dogs fighting in the fields, lol.

aaw749r
Oct 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
It has little gash right by where the bolt is, whatever caused that gash and dent Im sure is what caused that bolt to fall off. Maybe a hard rock or something that I didnt see on the road? I was looking to the side at two dogs fighting in the fields, lol.

I can weld it up, redrill and tap the hole for you. Fixed up in no time and very little dough. May be able to do something about the dent too if it is significant enought to worry about. You'll just need a new drain plug. Pull the pan off and bring it by the shop. PM me your contact info.

wildbear
Oct 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM

:word: :word: :(

MadKaw
Oct 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM
is that magnesium or alum? hopefully aluminum