PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of repainting...

BlackbirdRider
Oct 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
So thinking of repainting my bike since i dropped it not too long ago but I have no money so it would be a do it myself in the garage thing. I want some input on this before doing it. I know it could turn out good but it could also turn out like crap as well. Only repainting the plastics black so not really too much to mess up here. Little to no budget at all is why i'm not taking it somewhere and why im not just buying new fairings all together. Just got some nice carbon fiber work done and only need my fairings to look good now to make the bike really stand out. Any advice would be great! If anyone has experience painting that would be even better!

Sticka
Oct 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM
How bad is the damage?
Pics??

MadKaw
Oct 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
its really up to how much patience you have. You can wet sand all the scratches out and make it look smooth. You need a good primer that will adhere to plastic. If you use a 2 stage paint it will look really good, you can get a black 2 stage at an automotive paint store for a reasonable price. Dont rattle can it!!

The color stage goes on flat and dries quick without runs, you can build up 3 coats of that and then wetsand with some 600. Then one more black, then the clear. It will look just about like factory.

If you dont have a compressor or paint gun, and you absolutely have no other way, the automotive paint shops can mix up some high quality paint in rattle cans, but it will cost you about 15 bucks per can. Maybe one can of primer, 2 cans of color. It will look almost as good as the gun job.

BlackbirdRider
Oct 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Bad enough to really detract from the look of the bike

If need be I could live with it but I'd rather have it look a little better

MadKaw
Oct 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
this is Dupont Chromabase. 4 stages, white base, then green, then pearl over the white, then final clear coat. $350.00 worth of paint.

BlackbirdRider
Oct 16th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Nice job on the paint but if I was going to spend that kind of money I'd spend an extra $150 and buy all new plastics

ducbill996
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM
good paint isn't cheap... cheap paint isn't worth buying... i spent about 300.00 dollars on paint alone when i painted my 996, and that doesn't include what i spent on sand paper, tack rags, grease remover, blah, blah blah....

BlackbirdRider
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM
So its starting to sound like best thing to do will be to hold off and just buy new plastics when i get the extra cash. Any suggestions of what to do in the meantime to help hide those scratches?

Sticka
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Bad enough to really detract from the look of the bike

If need be I could live with it but I'd rather have it look a little better

Are you going to paint the whole bike or try to match it?

BlackbirdRider
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I was thinking of doing the whole bike since i have it all taken apart right now and it would be the easiest time to do it

KRAYZ1
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:50 PM
give Chris a call at A to Z customs 799-1206

he is real good with an airbrush :word:

Agustin
Oct 17th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Nice job on the paint but if I was going to spend that kind of money I'd spend an extra $150 and buy all new plastics

If you're just going to do black, most paint shops have their generic blacks ready to go. I paid about $100 for primer, black and clear, total. And it's holding up well. The only problems with the paint are from the painters, Daisy and myself. We did pretty damn good tho!!

The extra costs came from sand paper, tack clothes, tarps, air filters for our homemade both, paint thinner, paint gun. It was like $300 when it was all said and done, not including the compressor I already owned.

So its starting to sound like best thing to do will be to hold off and just buy new plastics when i get the extra cash. Any suggestions of what to do in the meantime to help hide those scratches?

I had this same dilemna immediately after I wrecked my bike. There was a year's time before I had enough to get everything together .

My solution. Black primer all by itself. It gives a matte black look and that can simply be sprayed over if it starts getting ugly. You can buy cheap black primer cans for plastics at Walmart, Home Depot, OSH, etc.

This is what my bike looked like flat black:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eleqtriq/1183671836/in/set-72157601571786817/

Daisy
Oct 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
The Job we did was not really a bad job. It was our first time painting and we learned some things not to do and some things to do more of. Its fun but it is very very time consuming. With patients it can be done well though

Daisy
Oct 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM
If you're just going to do black, most paint shops have their generic blacks ready to go. I paid about $100 for primer, black and clear, total. And it's holding up well. The only problems with the paint are from the painters, Daisy and myself. We did pretty damn good tho!!

The extra costs came from sand paper, tack clothes, tarps, air filters for our homemade both, paint thinner, paint gun. It was like $300 when it was all said and done, not including the compressor I already owned.

I had this same dilemna immediately after I wrecked my bike. There was a year's time before I had enough to get everything together .

My solution. Black primer all by itself. It gives a matte black look and that can simply be sprayed over if it starts getting ugly. You can buy cheap black primer cans for plastics at Walmart, Home Depot, OSH, etc.

This is what my bike looked like flat black:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eleqtriq/1183671836/in/set-72157601571786817/

AUg put a pic of your bike now.

MadKaw
Oct 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
pm sent Chris, here is my vintage H2 tank after the first clear. this was done in my back yard. We can do yours just the same

rated_r1
Oct 17th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I went to Glass Shack and Finishmasters to price out paints. Both are similar for Dupont stage II and higher. We connected the air compressor and spray gun and went at it. Same type of sracthes but also cracks. Take a look at my photo gallery. It used to be Candy Apple Red now its white and Orange. Ran me about $110. We had sand paper, rags and all that good junk already.

hippylong
Oct 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
i painted my whole bike for 120
but it was singlestage.
for sure will follow madkaws process on the paint..
2 stage it worth it..
and turns out just way way better in end..

ShiftyShift
Oct 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I'll be doing a similar project on my gixxer. It has quite a few scratches and one big rash on the left side.

I was planning to sand it all down my self and let a body shop do the rest. Its better than nothing, atleast that cuts away some hours for them to charge you.

gsxr1300
Oct 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM
dude, look in my album... the white bangle tiger is what you need my friend! 2.99 for some 3m spray glue, and 10 in "bangle tiger" material at walmart, or purple cheetah, your choice.:D

Agustin
Oct 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM
AUg put a pic of your bike now.

Here's my bike now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eleqtriq/2101243984/in/set-72157603421047790/

chromefonica
Oct 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM
dude, look in my album... the white bangle tiger is what you need my friend! 2.99 for some 3m spray glue, and 10 in "bangle tiger" material at walmart, or purple cheetah, your choice.:D

ahh yes. i remember the Tiger TL

hippylong
Oct 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM
nice work augi..

chromefonica
Oct 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM

STICKERS!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF THEM!

aaw749r
Oct 19th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm having my friends with a sign shop "wrap" my track body work and tank with a custom theme. Then next time I throw it down at the track the custom job is easily recreated and matches perfectly, covers mild scratches too.

chromefonica
Oct 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I'm having my friends with a sign shop "wrap" my track body work and tank with a custom theme. Then next time I throw it down at the track the custom job is easily recreated and matches perfectly, covers mild scratches too.

hey ray, do you think they could duplicate my telefonica theme?

BlackbirdRider
Oct 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM
So long as I get my parts back I'll bring my bike to the picnic for some advice on what to do if any of you are planning on going this weekend

aaw749r
Oct 21st, 2008, 12:38 AM
hey ray, do you think they could duplicate my telefonica theme?

Yes, I'm sure they can get close enough. You'll need some good detailed photos from all angles.

chromefonica
Oct 21st, 2008, 09:54 AM
Yes, I'm sure they can get close enough. You'll need some good detailed photos from all angles.

i would just bring the bike to them. how much do you think that would cost?

aaw749r
Oct 21st, 2008, 10:23 AM
i would just bring the bike to them. how much do you think that would cost?

I'll just put you in contact with them, let me talk with them first to give them a heads up then we'll take it from there. I'll keep in touch with you about this, but it may take a couple of weeks.

PM me your phone #

Braxl
Oct 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hope all goes well with the bike fix. Im the guy that was next to you that day.

BlackbirdRider
Oct 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hope all goes well with the bike fix. Im the guy that was next to you that day.

Hey good to see you joined the forum. Thanks for the help btw

Wile_E_Coyote
Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
its really up to how much patience you have. You can wet sand all the scratches out and make it look smooth. You need a good primer that will adhere to plastic. If you use a 2 stage paint it will look really good, you can get a black 2 stage at an automotive paint store for a reasonable price. Dont rattle can it!!

The color stage goes on flat and dries quick without runs, you can build up 3 coats of that and then wetsand with some 600. Then one more black, then the clear. It will look just about like factory.

If you dont have a compressor or paint gun, and you absolutely have no other way, the automotive paint shops can mix up some high quality paint in rattle cans, but it will cost you about 15 bucks per can. Maybe one can of primer, 2 cans of color. It will look almost as good as the gun job.

Dredging up an old thread. I'm going to be painting my track bodywork. It doesn't have to be pro quality, but I would like it to look clean. Just going to do a solid color with white number plates. Initially I was going to rattle can it, but I have access to a spray gun, so might go that route. Have many questions...

First one is, what's the difference between single stage and two stage?

Paint recommendations? I'd like mid grade, not cheap, but not break the bank.

Best place to buy the paint?

I have a few decals I'm going to apply. Is it easy to clear coat over them?

Thanks!