PDA

View Full Version : Oil for 03 GSXR

ShiftyShift
Oct 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM
probably a stupid question but which weight do I use?

I just got back from Kragen's and ended up getting the 10-40 MC oil.. Is that the right one?

chromefonica
Oct 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM

I just got back from Kragen's and ended up getting the 10-40 MC oil.. Is that the right one?

10-40 is right. use 3.3 quarts

Calicronic
Oct 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Next time you need oil, do a search there MAY be a member who can hook you up with some oil.;):D I think his name Is "Pastey" or something:evilgrin0013::D:D:D

rated_r1
Oct 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I read your intro thread so I know you are pretty new on here. It would b good 2no what it was running before. If its just mineral base oil you can put that or upgrade to semi synthetic or full syn. If its semi syn then keep putting that or full syn (not base mineral). If u doin full syn stay there.
Other than that use the recommended wieght or one up. I used YamaLube Semi syn on my r6. Motul 300v on my R1 current.

ShiftyShift
Oct 10th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I have no idea what he was running before and I didnt get synthetic.. From my knowledge, after you switch to synthetic, you cant go back to regular yah?

So it would be safer for me to just exchange it for synthetic to be on the safe side?

Sprocket
Oct 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I read your intro thread so I know you are pretty new on here. It would b good 2no what it was running before. If its just mineral base oil you can put that or upgrade to semi synthetic or full syn. If its semi syn then keep putting that or full syn (not base mineral). If u doin full syn stay there.
Other than that use the recommended wieght or one up. I used YamaLube Semi syn on my r6. Motul 300v on my R1 current.

Semi synthetic is a marketing sham.

Use conventional oil if you dont ride hard or change the oil often, use full synthetic if if you ride hard and dont like changing your oil all the time.

The only advantage to synthetic oil is it lasts longer under more extreme conditions. semi synthetic will last only as long as the conventional oil in the mix, so its a waste.

Sprocket
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
From my knowledge, after you switch to synthetic, you cant go back to regular yah?

No

PRTSMN
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I have no idea what he was running before and I didnt get synthetic.. From my knowledge, after you switch to synthetic, you cant go back to regular yah?

So it would be safer for me to just exchange it for synthetic to be on the safe side?

I have heard that for years but there is no proof that there is damge going to and from synthetic. I have used both in my truck. I mean if you think about it synthetic blend is standard and synthetic oil together.:confused2:

ShiftyShift
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I have heard that for years but there is no proof that there is damge going to and from synthetic. I have used both in my truck. I mean if you think about it synthetic blend is standard and synthetic oil together.:confused2:

Same here, I've heard that numerous times with cars... Even mechanics tell me that.. So its safe to assume that it is just a myth?

Jester
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Same here, I've heard that numerous times with cars... Even mechanics tell me that.. So its safe to assume that it is just a myth?Hey is that your Gixx at Shaw and West Rey??

ShiftyShift
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hey is that your Gixx at Shaw and West Rey??

Yah thats me, was nice meeting you Larry...

I also noticed you didnt buy gas, the gixxer just caught your eye huh?:D

Jester
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Yah thats me, was nice meeting you Larry...

I also noticed you didnt buy gas, the gixxer just caught your eye huh?:DI fed the machine outside but yes, had to come see the bike .....AND make sure you were on CVR. :D I only put 7 bucks in to get my wife to work, think she's pissed?? :popcorn:

rated_r1
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I don't know if it's a myth or not. But my family all dabble in the mechanic area. Two are really good and own shops, also my brother owns a shop. They all say it's not good going to Synthetic then back. Now they do my oil change and tune up's for free so I know they are not pulling my chain. I guess it would have been a good question if I asked any them them "Why".

aaw749r
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Next time you need oil, do a search there MAY be a member who can hook you up with some oil.;):D I think his name Is "Pastey" or something:evilgrin0013::D:D:D

Who you calling pastey?
I may be white but I aint pastey bish!

Calicronic
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Who you calling pastey?
I may be white but I aint pastey bish!

Hahahahahaha, you know I'm just f'n with ya, "you're my by blue"!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Sprocket
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7007980

PRTSMN
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7007980

again this is by a oil company and nowhere in the statement say there would be engine failure if you went back. it does state that it is a myth that you cant go back. i guess it is okay just less protection

Sprocket
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
again this is by a oil company and nowhere in the statement say there would be engine failure if you went back. it does state that it is a myth that you cant go back. i guess it is okay just less protection

How could you possibly have engine failure by switching back :confused2: Synthetic doesnt lubricate any differently. it just lasts longer...

PRTSMN
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
How could you possibly have engine failure by switching back :confused2: Synthetic doesnt lubricate any differently. it just lasts longer...

no i was saying you cant and some people have mentioned in the history of my jobs that it could cause engine faailure i have no clue they said something about the amount of detergents in the oil.

OGMike
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4213451.html

ShiftyShift
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:38 PM
one last thing guys, how much would I be spending to get a tune up on it?

any recommended shops I can take it to?

PRTSMN
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM

you are going to hear alot of remarks on alot of places so here are some names of shops and decide what is best for you.:D

cycle tune.
wilsons.
clawsons.
diablo motorsports.
some independents that are on the forum i believe.
madera honda suzuki.

or try to get some forum friends buy the parts and do it yourself the teamlowbudget way.

chromefonica
Oct 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM

if you are talking just an oil change, bring your bike over to my place and i will show you how to do it. it only takes 10 minutes. really easy.

ShiftyShift
Oct 10th, 2008, 07:35 PM
if you are talking just an oil change, bring your bike over to my place and i will show you how to do it. it only takes 10 minutes. really easy.

I wanted to do everything. plugs, valve adjustment, replace and top off all fluids etc. etc... to be on the safe side. Today I replaced the brake fluids and cleaned the reservoirs that hold the brake fluid... The brake fluids needed to be changed really bad. It was no longer clear and the reservoirs had dirty build up in it.

The last owner only had the bike for 4 months and racked up 2,000 miles and he really didnt do anything major except an oil change.

rated_r1
Oct 10th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Oil easy, unless the rubber off the oil filter vulcanizes, haha. As previously staed for a tune-up, alot of ppl will say alot of different places. You have to decide. Me personally I go to Wilson's I'ver never been treated wrong there for anything bike sales, parts or service. They are the only shop I go to. A full service there runs close to $700. Thats everything full on service.

chromefonica
Oct 10th, 2008, 07:59 PM
if you are going to do valves and stuff like that, take it to cycle tune. i wouldn't go to a dealership. plugs and all that crap is easy. its the valve adjustments that you need someone with experience. i would do everything yourself and take it to cycle tune for a valve adjust. personal opinion though. i like to work on my own stuff. gives me a sense of accomplishment

GusGus748s
Oct 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Just buy the service manual and do everything yourself. It isn't that hard and everything is self explanatory.

As for oil you can use any type as long as it is for Motorcycle. I've been using full synthetic in all my bikes. You can the Mobil 1 full synthetice at Kragens fro $9.00 bucks. Rather than buying it at cycle gear for $12.00 a qt.

I beliver I've got the PDF file for the 03 gsxr 1000 service manual somewhere.

GusGus748s
Oct 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Found the service manual for the 03 GSXR1000 if you want it let me know. I'll try to host it since it is 40 MB (463 pages). I don't think you email would suppor that.

Sticka
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I wanted to do everything. plugs, valve adjustment, replace and top off all fluids etc. etc... to be on the safe side. Today I replaced the brake fluids and cleaned the reservoirs that hold the brake fluid... The brake fluids needed to be changed really bad. It was no longer clear and the reservoirs had dirty build up in it.

The last owner only had the bike for 4 months and racked up 2,000 miles and he really didnt do anything major except an oil change.

That is pretty much all you have to do at 4 months or 2,000 miles.
No need to do brake fluids or valve clearances at 2,000 miles.

chromefonica
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM

how many miles are on the bike? it might not even need valve adjust yet

ShiftyShift
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Found the service manual for the 03 GSXR1000 if you want it let me know. I'll try to host it since it is 40 MB (463 pages). I don't think you email would suppor that.

Hey I appreciate it very much! I've been looking for the 03 service manual for the past few days and finally found myself a copy.

ShiftyShift
Oct 14th, 2008, 11:01 PM
That is pretty much all you have to do at 4 months or 2,000 miles.
No need to do brake fluids or valve clearances at 2,000 miles.

The last owner wasnt sure what types of services was done to the bike prior to his ownership. When he purchased it 4months ago, (almost 3k miles) all he did was an oil change. Thats all i can go by so I figured I should perform as much services I can on the bike minus the valve clearance. I dont think the valve clearance needs to adjusted either since the motor runs strong and no hesitation. Also bought some new plugs today that I plan on putting in on Thursday. The bike just rolled over 13k miles.

ShiftyShift
Oct 14th, 2008, 11:11 PM
how many miles are on the bike? it might not even need valve adjust yet

13,1XX.

Service manual says to check it 15k. I think I will leave this one alone and have someone else do it. Any idea how much this cost?

chromefonica
Oct 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM
13,1XX.

Service manual says to check it 15k. I think I will leave this one alone and have someone else do it. Any idea how much this cost?

not sure of the cost. you don't need a valve adjustment yet. not saying you should do this, nor is it a good idea, but i have about 32k on my bike and i still haven't had the valves checked. i would not suggest doing that though.

UFO
Oct 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I am a strong proponant of sythetic oils. Besides lasting longer, they keep your engine cleaner, and provide less friction. Perfect example of what synthetic oils can do.

10 mile loop on the Harley, pull in garage, take head temp reading; 295 degrees.
Change to Royal Purple 20/50 Full Synthetic oil.
Same 10 mile loop, pull in garage, take head temp; 264 degrees

31 degree drop in head temp = less wear, cooler air, more power!

chromefonica
Oct 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I am a strong proponant of sythetic oils. Besides lasting longer, they keep your engine cleaner, and provide less friction. Perfect example of what synthetic oils can do.

10 mile loop on the Harley, pull in garage, take head temp reading; 295 degrees.
Change to Royal Purple 20/50 Full Synthetic oil.
Same 10 mile loop, pull in garage, take head temp; 264 degrees

31 degree drop in head temp = less wear, cooler air, more power!

:word: