PDA

View Full Version : Learning Question - Track Bike

VintageRider
Oct 4th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Does a track bike need to be registered with DMV, a dedicated track bike.. i.e. no lights, signals, etc. I was wondering? Thanks for the info. Yes it may have been discussed already, or it might sound like a noob question... But I searched didn't find anything and am wondering....

hippylong
Oct 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Does a track bike need to be registered with DMV, a dedicated track bike.. i.e. no lights, signals, etc. I was wondering? Thanks for the info. Yes it may have been discussed already, or it might sound like a noob question... But I searched didn't find anything and am wondering....

bill of sale only..
not sure if track asks anything.
but on b.a.r.f. they sell bikes every day for track with bill of sale only.
(most track bikes come from totaled stuff(in the public)

Sticka
Oct 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
No, track bikes don't need to be reg with the DMV.
You just need to be able to prove ownership for some track organisations.
The vin must not be tampered with.

aaw749r
Oct 5th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Correctomundo

UFO
Oct 5th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Well, I disagree with these guys slightly. If the bike is or could be put back to street legal, I would put a non-op on it. It's cheap, and if you ever decide to sell it, it will be easier for the new owner if they want to register it for street use.

aaw749r
Oct 5th, 2008, 10:12 PM
My tracked bike is currently on Non Op cause I don't want to pay the fees of re-registering it when & if I do put it back on the street. But for the purpose of taking any bike to the track it does not have to be registered with the DMV.

Sticka
Oct 5th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Well, I disagree with these guys slightly. If the bike is or could be put back to street legal, I would put a non-op on it. It's cheap, and if you ever decide to sell it, it will be easier for the new owner if they want to register it for street use.

I agree. But the question was does it need to be registered with the DMV. The answer is no. But if you have the choice. non op is the way to go for resale value.
Personally, my track GSXR1000 has a parts only title and my track only TL1000R has a salvage title.