PDA

View Full Version : Question for the WISE

sPAnKy1600
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hey i have a question for the track vets ... heres the scenario

you come into a LONG WIDE sweeper, and you get on the throttle real hard in 3-4 gear and ride it out, progressivly going faster and leaning further to where you're getting pretty far over...

my question is, in that situation, as the bike starts to get a little upset, what would you lose first (front or back) and what will most likely lead to a crash? assuming that suspension is set pretty good and body position is proper.

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Here we go again.

Bonkers
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
HAHA what would lose first .. the abilty to hold your crap in :)

swankster
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM
If I'm reading your explanation properly, it would seem your back would go first.
But what the F do i know:confused2:
Swankster

speedjunkie
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM
well if your any good and know how to exit a corner correct you wont be leaning the bike over more cuz all you do is shrink your contact patch.

get on the gas at apex or later and when the tire is closest to the biggest spot which is between the center and very side.

should be standing the bike up the more you get on the gas. not leaning over.

(but to answer your scenario the back would probably go)

sPAnKy1600
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
well if your any good and know how to exit a corner correct you wont be leaning the bike over more cuz all you do is shrink your contact patch.

get on the gas at apex or later and when the tire is closest to the biggest spot which is between the center and very side.

should be standing the bike up the more you get on the gas. not leaning over.

(but to answer your scenario the back would probably go)

makes sense... thanks dude... so its pretty much the same priciple as a smaller turn just on a bigger scale.. right?

speedjunkie
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
yeah, big sweeper carry a lot of speed into it. atleast thats what my bike likes. if its a decreasing radius then obviously your gonna slow and increase lean angle but if it opens all the way through you should be able to slowly pick up speed while standing the bike up till you can nail it.

your most traction and acceleration will actually be while the bike is leaned over a few degrees due to a larger tire contact area and a smaller diameter part of the tire running on the ground which will give a natural gearing change and let it accel more quickly.

speedjunkie
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM
ps.

if your find yourself having to lean the bike more on exit you totally blew the entrance to the corner and turned in way to soon. causing the lane for you to exit on the track to shrink and widen to farther outside.

slow in fast out

turn in late as possible to have a more clear and open exit

sPAnKy1600
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
i got what you mean... i was playing a different scenario thats why i was talking about leaning further and getting on the throttle...

got wat you mean though

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
u think to much spanky!

Blakester
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Totally depends on way too many factors, good chance of pushing the front too much or slipping the rear, but who knows til it happens.:confused2:

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:22 AM
just go out there and have fun yo..quit thinking about crashing

McLuvin_R1
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:30 AM

What works for one rider doesnt work for another, but you would probably loose the front tire first. Specially if your Powering out of a sweeper at WOT. The back has plenty of contact area, its the front i always seem to be counter steering the fawk of when exiting at high speeds, so I would imagine the front would slide first.

sPAnKy1600
Sep 30th, 2008, 04:13 AM
i talked to a reliable source about it today, and he said it's all in my head, as long as the suspension is good and the tires are good and the surface is good... lotta factors... the front will stay pretty planted and the rear will step out first

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:13 AM
i talked to a reliable source about it today, and he said it's all in my head, as long as the suspension is good and the tires are good and the surface is good... lotta factors... the front will stay pretty planted and the rear will step out first

If you have the AMA Superbike race from Laguna recorded, go back and watch it. Miguel Duhamel was coming out of Rainey Curve as you describe. He was exiting the corner and rolling on the throttle when the back stepped out. He was able to save it, but it was pretty hairy. Same thing happened to Jamie Hacking. Only his turned into a high-side.

l8-apex
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Spankey,

I've ridden with you; you’re a good rider, especially considering the short time you have been riding. You may not want to hear this, but just maybe you'll remember it one day when you are in the middle of a big sweeper, wondering which end might let go first. If you have to be thinking like this, you should back off a notch or three on the street. One of these corners is going to have some sand, oil, etc and you are going to go down hard. You might end up over the edge of a canyon, into some rocks or trees, or into oncoming traffic.

Do whatever you can to get some time on a track. You will find out what you and your bike are really capable of and you will realize that you can never approach that level on the road. I would also guess that after a half dozen track days you are going to be one of the 'fast guys' at the track.

Some of you might think I'm becoming a 'safety nazi' so let me explain what is driving me to help prevent some of you from crashing.

A little over a year ago a very close friend, who I had ridden with (road, track, cross country trips) for more than 10 years was riding with a group that he did not know well. The pace was probably just a little too fast for the street and he went down. I was in the hospital waiting room during his 10 hours of surgery to repair his crushed spine. He is now permanently disabled, his life changed forever. He had also been a long distance runner all his life; that was also brought to an end.

We certainly can't eliminate the risk from riding, but we can MANAGE the risk. Bringing the pace down just 10% on the road is likely to reduce the risk by 50%. Worth the trade off I think.

Jody

aaw749r
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:50 AM
^^^^Amen Brotha^^^^

swankster
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM
KUDO"S to that...
Nicely put
Swankster

Big Kahuna
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Nicely put Jody!

Quino
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Well stated!
:word:

Agustin
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM
In case anyone doesn't know, Spanky has already been down once.

Devlausdan
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM

yeah... bring your chit with me to the track.

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM
yeah... bring your chit with me to the track.

bring my chit with you??

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:29 AM
you both need to get your chit and...BRING IT!!:pound:

Devlausdan
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
bring my chit with you??

talking to spanky.

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:31 AM
dude, you know how long I've been tryinh to get dan and dave to bring their chit..?

way too long..

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:34 AM
dude, you know how long I've been tryinh to get dan and dave to bring their chit..?

way too long..

They'll bring it, but you have to get their spots for them...

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:36 AM
They'll bring it, but you have to get their spots for them...

guess they're not man enough to get their spots themselves

Calkidd
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Spankey,

If you have to be thinking like this, you should back off a notch or three on the street. One of these corners is going to have some sand, oil, etc and you are going to go down hard. You might end up over the edge of a canyon, into some rocks or trees, or into oncoming traffic.

I have been telling him this since the first ride I took with him. For some reason it is not sinking in. Tony, you seriously need to listen and comprehend this.

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I have been telling him this since the first ride I took with him. For some reason it is not sinking in. Tony, you seriously need to listen and comprehend this.

Getting to the track might help. That gives you a better sense for what fast is.

McLuvin_R1
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:39 AM

Cool any reasons as to why? the back goes first.

Why do I hear so many riders say, my front end took a crap and I ate it. Alot of people I talk to who go down tell me this same thing.

PRTSMN
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Cool any reasons as to why? the back goes first.

Why do I hear so many riders say, my front end took a crap and I ate it. Alot of people I talk to who go down tell me this same thing.

Maybe just an easy way to say they went down without putting blame or fault in their skiilz.

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM

way too long..

They brought their chit to SOW no?

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:48 AM
They brought their chit to SOW no?

I had to put a saw off to dans head..dave would of never came if it wasn't for the free pass

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Because most riders panic and do something like chop the throttle or grab a hand full of brake...

Calkidd
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Because most riders panic and do something like chop the throttle or grab a hand full of brake...:fun_83:

PRTSMN
Sep 30th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Because most riders panic and do something like chop the throttle or grab a hand full of brake...

That makes sense.

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I had to put a saw off to dans head..dave would of never came if it wasn't for the free pass

They brought their chit to TH too yo...

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM
They brought their chit to TH too yo...

thats cause I had to beg and bribed them

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
thats cause I had to beg and bribed them

Well keep up the good work and see yo a$$ on the 30th...bish.;)

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Well keep up the good work and see yo a$$ on the 30th...bish.;)

you got it tuff gurl..Whitie ray just called me and said he's signing up also..going to be another bad a$$ track day yo

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM
you got it tuff gurl..Whitie ray just called me and said he's signing up also..going to be another bad a$$ track day yo

Pho realz...I hear he had a good time with Trackdaz yesterday too.:D

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM
going to be another bad a$$ track day yo

Werd, yo.

And why weren't you there?

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM
And why weren't you there?

he was tending them peach fuzz

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM

werd..he said he had some oh sh|t moments too

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Dem peach fuzz takin' up all my time yo.:mad:

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
werd..he said he had some oh sh|t moments too

the big track has a way of showing us those.;)

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Dem peach fuzz takin' up all my time yo.:mad:

I hear ya man..you got peach fuzz, I got Jicama and peanut fuzz yo

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I hear ya man..you got peach fuzz, I got Jicama and peanut fuzz yo

Chilean Sea Bass broiled in parchment with Jicama/ginger/chile/lime relish....MMmmmmmmmm!

You Jicama farmers make my fish happy...

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Chilean Sea Bass broiled in parchment with Jicama/ginger/chile/lime relish....MMmmmmmmmm!

daymn..that sounds like a mouth watering dish..:zdrool:

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Why thank you...next time I'm at Phil's fish market I'll pick you up a couple filets.:D

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Why thank you...next time I'm at Phil's fish market I'll pick you up a couple filets.:D

..and what do you want me to do with the filet?:confused2:

put the jicama next to it and hopefully they get jiggy wit it..?

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I'll hook em up for ya,;)

McLuvin_R1
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:33 PM

So when rider skill isnt the reason of fault, the rear tire is most likely to give then the front.

I dont know how true that is, Ive been into many many tight and long turns and its my front wheel that always seems to go first. Then I let correct my speed to avoid a crash.

GSXR888
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Expensive fish! $$$$ But I do love the texture.:p

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Expensive fish! $$$$ But I do love the texture.:p

I'm only in the Phil's region once or twice a year...so I'm a splurgin' fool when he opportunity presents itself.:D

Phil's is actually much less expensive than the regional/nat'l chains. Not as value conscious as your wholesale distr...but pretty good for us common peons.:) quality is MUCH higher than most chains too...Whole Foods is the only one that comes close imo.

Calkidd
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Why thank you...next time I'm at Phil's fish market I'll pick you up a couple filets.:DMnG at Poach's

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM
The wifey'll be standing at the front gate with a 12ga.;)

kidmoua
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM

..so we'll be shooting clays too..? nice

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Don't forget the flat trackin.

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Only the "clays" that are too slow in turning around and going back where they came from.:pound:;)

Ready2Run
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Sounds like my kind of friend! When will I get to meet her?

sPAnKy1600
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:44 PM

i appreciate the concern, you two have only ridden with me once each, and i rode pretty stupid then... i've slowed down ALOT since my crashes, and my question was out of curiousity and it was regaurding the track..

it feels like a dead horse is getting beaten everytime something is said or scenario's are put into question. there seems that every subject or thread turns into "idiot rides stupid" or "idiot just needs to slow down"

I HEAR YA... in my situation in particular i understand i've given you folks reasons for concern, but i'm assuring you i ride like a little girl now compared to how i used to be. been down, it hurts, i dont like it, and i don't wanna go down again.

but please for respect of questions, curiousities, and thoughts... leave the lectures out, we've heared them over and over and it just exhausts forum to the point that it isn't worth coming on and posting a thread anymore.

Tony

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I tried to derail it with talk of scrumptious fish...but that didn't work.;)

Spank...come out to the track with me...all will be revealed!:thumbsup:

Calkidd
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:53 PM
i appreciate the concern, you two have only ridden with me once each, and i rode pretty stupid then... i've slowed down ALOT since my crashes, and my question was out of curiousity and it was regaurding the track..

it feels like a dead horse is getting beaten everytime something is said or scenario's are put into question. there seems that every subject or thread turns into "idiot rides stupid" or "idiot just needs to slow down"

I HEAR YA... in my situation in particular i understand i've given you folks reasons for concern, but i'm assuring you i ride like a little girl now compared to how i used to be. been down, it hurts, i dont like it, and i don't wanna go down again.

but please for respect of questions, curiousities, and thoughts... leave the lectures out, we've heared them over and over and it just exhausts forum to the point that it isn't worth coming on and posting a thread anymore.

TonyNo one has ever called you an idiot.....

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
you and me both spanky. dont worry man, will be passing all these guys here soon at the track :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM
you and me both spanky. dont worry man, will be passing all these guys here soon at the track :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Once you get to the point you can pass me...I'll hand you off to Jacob West and Andy Palmer. Then the education and learning curve continues bro...it's alife long quest...

GsxR1000Ryda
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Once you get to the point you can pass me...I'll hand you off to Jacob West and Andy Palmer. Then the education and learning curve continues bro...it's alife long quest...

sounds like a plan to me

sPAnKy1600
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM

hey i've always forgot to ask... wat's your average, and your best time at buttonwillow?

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:26 PM
sounds like a plan to me

The Trackdaz plan never fails. Once you've worked your way through our fastest guys...you probably won't be needing much more instruction.

btw...if you get by me, you better ride hard and be ready to make it stick, 'cause I'll be comin' yo.:)

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM
hey i've always forgot to ask... wat's your average, and your best time at buttonwillow?

Config #13 CW

1000=1:55:xx

600=1:56:xx

Not blazing by any stretch of the imagination when you consider the track record at 1:47:xx...but not too shabby for a 41yr old single income provider for a family of 5.:)

sPAnKy1600
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Config #13 CW

1000=1:55:xx

600=1:56:xx

Not blazing by any stretch of the imagination when you consider the track record at 1:47:xx...but not too shabby for a 41yr old single income provider for a family of 5.:)

yeah thats pretty damned impressive to me... a good 15 seconds faster than wat i'd put down there...

who's got the record there? i heared little gregory was in the 40's on his 750

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I wanna say Tigert...but I'm not 100% sure...

sPAnKy1600
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I wanna say Tigert...but I'm not 100% sure...

on the 250????????:confused2:

Calkidd
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
yeah thats pretty damned impressive to me... a good 15 seconds faster than wat i'd put down there...:confused2: When did you go to BW? Are you saying you can do a 2:10 at BW?

sPAnKy1600
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:43 PM
on the 250????????:confused2:

nvm he had that suzuki with the tiger stripes

Calkidd
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM
nvm he had that suzuki with the tiger stripesIsn't that Matt from CWS who owns or owned that bike?

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Tigert was on a CBR 1 thou at Laguna.

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:47 PM
nvm he had that suzuki with the tiger stripes

Tigert's a Honda R&D test rider, so when he's racing(the most likely time to set a track record), he'll be on a honda fosho. That's not to say he hasn't come out with us(trackDaz) to test the competitions bikes though.;)

sPAnKy1600
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Isn't that Matt from CWS who owns or owned that bike?

that was jeffs when he was with afm

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
He once came by me on a BONE stock gsxr1000 sooooo freakin fast it was like warp speed. I as like wtffffffffffff???? But I kept him in line of sight(notice I didn't say "hung with him") for 2 more corners and learned something veeeeeery interesting in the bus stop.:D

Calkidd
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM
learned something veeeeeery interesting in the bus stop.:DOh do tell....I am still trying to figure out the fastest way through that.

poach
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Oh do tell....I am still trying to figure out the fastest way through that.

Ready to drink the kool aid huh?:D

Calkidd
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Ready to drink the kool aid huh?:DAnd second please....

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I like the bus stop, it's all lefts... :rolleyes:

I made up lots of time on people there, but was never brave enough to pass.

Y-E-S Bryan, drink da K-O-O-L-A-I-D...

l8-apex
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Okay, since I didn't try to answer your question in my first reply I'll give it a shot. If you "get on the throttle real hard" at a time when you are "leaning further" you will likely break the rear loose. Depending on how you react to it you will either recover or high-side.

Also, I do think that you are a good rider (I think the same of Will). I would love to see both of you on the track. Based on what I have seen of your riding I'd bet you (and Will) would do under 2:15 (cofig 13) on your first day, and could likely see 2:05 after a handfull of track days.

Don't let Poach's humility fool you; anything under 2:00 at BW is quite fast. My best is 2:08 (but remember... I don't crash :o)

Jody

Hey i have a question for the track vets ... heres the scenario

you come into a LONG WIDE sweeper, and you get on the throttle real hard in 3-4 gear and ride it out, progressivly going faster and leaning further to where you're getting pretty far over...

my question is, in that situation, as the bike starts to get a little upset, what would you lose first (front or back) and what will most likely lead to a crash? assuming that suspension is set pretty good and body position is proper.

Mooney 78865
Sep 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Tony
Spanky, we have spoken a time or two in the last couple weeks. You know who I am. Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to talk to you on your questions. Also be happy to help you with bike set up etc. before you go to the track. Rule of thumb: "Go fast in the fast stuff, and slow in the slow stuff" Kenny Roberts

desmolvr
Sep 30th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Poach - I would like to follow you arround BW again (I am a friend of Matt CWS - yellow 1098). Let me know the next time you are running their.

poach
Oct 1st, 2008, 07:19 AM
Poach - I would like to follow you arround BW again (I am a friend of Matt CWS - yellow 1098). Let me know the next time you are running their.

Follow me? Last time out, you passed me.;)

We're usually there last weekend in Jan. But I'm hoping to get more seat time at BW in 09 than I did in 08. See ya out there ...

*edit*

Oh yeah, and bring that Jesus lookin' guy with ya!:)

Calkidd
Oct 1st, 2008, 07:36 AM
Oh yeah, and bring that Jesus lookin' guy with ya!:)I saw Jesus in his Avalanche with a mountain bike on the roof the other day. I ask if he would make me faster, but I think He misunderstood me and made me "fatter"....

poach
Oct 1st, 2008, 07:45 AM
^^^That's weird...

i asked him for a nice bike so i could treat the wifey to a weekend getaway and...KABLAMMO! My prayers were answered beyond my wildest dreams.

Maybe you better clean up your life and get right with the Man bro.:)

Sparrow
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM
This thread went way off topic for a bit there.

kidmoua
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM
This thread went way off topic for a bit there.

this is CVR, what did you expect

Sparrow
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM
reform.... ha ha ha

poach
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:31 AM
reform.... ha ha ha

hehe...might need to lower the bar a lil.:)

desmolvr
Oct 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Sorry for the thread jack. I just got lucky maybe because you were exiting the track. I will try and make the TurkeyDaz at willow. I would like to get a line arround there as I have only ran it a couple of times. Jesus has a new bike so maybe we can get him out as well

poach
Oct 1st, 2008, 12:17 PM
I would like to get a line arround there as I have only ran it a couple of times.

uh huh...that's what you said last time.;):pound:

I'll be there both days, so come on out and play.:)

hades00_7
Oct 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
TONY, lets just have fun and tear it up OCTOBER 13th.

We still racing to B group??:cheers2:

06smcya
Oct 16th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I wanna go to track day! I'll ride in group D-. Just gotta put the twin turbos on the KTM and I'll be ok.

Wile_E_Coyote
Oct 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I wanna go to track day! I'll ride in group D-. Just gotta put the twin turbos on the KTM and I'll be ok.

I've seen some fast super motos at the track. Come on out!

poach
Oct 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Dude, you need to come with us to the Streets of Willow. You don't need super charged turbo driven anything. While the sportbike guys are starting to brake, you'll be grabbing upshifts and showing em lines they never thought were possible.:)

Devlausdan
Oct 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
you'll be grabbing upshifts and showing em lines they never thought were possible.:)

SuperMoto across the dirt doesn't count.