PDA

View Full Version : What is the best dual purpose bike (for track)

mnmtriumph
Sep 14th, 2008, 09:34 AM
What is the best bike for track and street looking at getting into more track riding next season and I think I would be better off getting rid of my Triumph sprint st. Was looking at the gsxr750, cbr600, daytona 675, and duc. 848(but not sure about the price tag). Or any other suggestions.

up in smoke
Sep 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM
any of the jap 600 are the most bang 4 the $. they are all fast, fully adjustable . they might all come with a slipper clutch. if its some thing your going to ride into the ground id stick with Honda or Yamaha.

hippylong
Sep 14th, 2008, 11:23 AM
any of the jap 600 are the most bang 4 the $. they are all fast, fully adjustable . they might all come with a slipper clutch. if its some thing your going to ride into the ground id stick with Honda or Yamaha.

Japan....
any of the 4 are fine..

l8-apex
Sep 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM
If you plan to do more than a couple of track days per year I would recommend picking up a dedicated track bike. Some careful shopping will find you a reliable ex-race bike for under $4k or so. Then you can keep a more appropriate bike for the road and always have a bike ready to go for the track (and not have to worry about thrashing your 'one and only' bike on the track).

Oh, by the way, I am considering selling my 03 GSX-R 600 race bike (not sure yet).

Jody

mnmtriumph
Sep 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
If you plan to do more than a couple of track days per year I would recommend picking up a dedicated track bike. Some careful shopping will find you a reliable ex-race bike for under $4k or so. Then you can keep a more appropriate bike for the road and always have a bike ready to go for the track (and not have to worry about thrashing your 'one and only' bike on the track).

Oh, by the way, I am considering selling my 03 GSX-R 600 race bike (not sure yet).

Jody

Im looking for the beginning of next year just trying to get finances in order. BUT if it is still available next year I might be VERY intrested.

Ralph
Sep 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
May I suggest you rent a bike at the track, if you do Buttonwillow a 600 is way fun. If you do Miller in Utah, then rent a 1000. We have bikes to rent, about $250-$300, for the day, includes pirelli tires, "A group" slicks, "BC group" DOT. Who knows you might fall in love with a 250 two stroke, way fast, dont have the straightaway power, but will scoot around BW with the right pilot, as fast as the trackday liter bikes.

Calkidd
Sep 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I say the Gixxer only because there are slews of Gixxer track bikes out there for sale. Usually, because the squid before them has totaled it and someone has made it into a track bike. Additionally, if you look at a website similar to the WERA (http://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)forums there are tons of parts for the Gixxer.

LDH
Sep 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I vote for the gsxr750 ,power like a race tuned 600 and a extra 10ft/lbs. of torque which is always handy on the street. May feel cramped if you are tall.

yoageallen
Sep 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM
GSXR600 if you like them. Easy to manage. Mostly. Cheap to buy and fix. Good street bikes too. Get something fuel injected for sure. 600's are easier to manage and generally handle easier and don't need to be man handled so much. That triumph would do just fine to try track days out. Just ride smart.

PRTSMN
Sep 16th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I agree with Bryan there are enough gixxer parts available everywhere you could build one from scratch. Finding a track bike is a great idea. If ya ball it up you still have a bike to ride on the streets.:D