PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Keys

dstevens58
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I have a 1982 Honda SilverWing and it only came with one key. The thing is, I really would like an extra key for back up purposes. Problem is, the key I have is so worn, it still works every place I need it, but I understand from a copying standpoint, it doesn't do any good to make a copy of a worn key.

I have been told in the past, that with VIN and key code, one can be made through a dealer. Am I limited in a Honda shop (i.e. Clawson's) in getting this done?

hippylong
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I have a 1982 Honda SilverWing and it only came with one key. The thing is, I really would like an extra key for back up purposes. Problem is, the key I have is so worn, it still works every place I need it, but I understand from a copying standpoint, it doesn't do any good to make a copy of a worn key.

I have been told in the past, that with VIN and key code, one can be made through a dealer. Am I limited in a Honda shop (i.e. Clawson's) in getting this done?

ign (where key goes in has #) on older bikes not sure on newer.
and go ahead and copy yer worn one it will work.

when i worked at a shop.
we needed your reg and id before making key..
I went to clawsons to have the make a key and they don't have anything..
they told me go to locksmith for blanks..

dstevens58
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Ignition does not have a visible number, unless it is on the cylinder inside. I don't mind showing ID and papers to get a key made. Kind of weird. I started counting what that key fits and there are ten places on that motorcycle that uses the same key.

Ignition
Trunk (two latches)
Helmet locks (left and right)
two on each side bag
Gas cap

hippylong
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I need keys cut myself.
let me know if you find a good smith..

PRTSMN
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:00 PM

It might be too old the oldest vin tracking on keys in gm is the early to mid 90's

Devlausdan
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I need keys cut myself.
let me know if you find a good smith..

Lehman's Lock & Safe
559-228-1805

1089 E Shaw #104
Fresno, CA 93710

At the SE corner of Shaw and Frist.

dstevens58
Sep 16th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Lehman's Lock & Safe
559-228-1805

1089 E Shaw #104
Fresno, CA 93710

At the SE corner of Shaw and Frist.

The guy at Lehman's ROCKED.

He not only cut my key, but inspected the locks on the left side saddle bag that would not lock and let me know what was wrong (piece of plastic stuck in the tumblers).

$5.50 for the key
$20 for cleaning out the tumblers.

GSXR888
Sep 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I need a spare set as well.

Devlausdan
Sep 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM

He not only cut my key, but inspected the locks on the left side saddle bag that would not lock and let me know what was wrong (piece of plastic stuck in the tumblers).

$5.50 for the key

Told ya...

I'd tried getting an extra key cut for my 05 Ninja before from Wilson's and Clawson and nobody could help me. Either didn't have the key or the machine to do it. Lehman took care of that problem.

hippylong
Sep 16th, 2008, 04:58 PM

$5.50 for the key

thank you,
i will bring them my business

Devlausdan
Sep 16th, 2008, 06:01 PM
thank you,
i will bring them my business

South East corner at Shaw and First.