PDA

View Full Version : Brake work?

Phentos
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I need to either replace or recalibrate my front brake. When I brake with even pressure I get in-and-out braking.

I can deal with it on cars (got plenty of tech knowledge there) but when it comes to bikes I'm retarded.

So anyway, anyone feel up to walking me through it?

*inches closer to buying a chilton manual...*

GreeNug
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM

I would skip the Chilton or Hayes manual (moto equivalent) and score a factory Honda service manual to learn more about your bike. Wait a sec... hell, you got lucky there is one on flebay right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-87-Honda-VFR-700-750-service-manual_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1017Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a1Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem120302731088QQitemZ120302731088

If you have turned wrenches before it's not that much different on bikes, just get a good book so you know if you need any special tools/seals/gaskets before you start the project. If you need a hand I'd be happy to help ya, I've done a bit of brake work B-4. Best of luck.

yoageallen
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Are you saying that it is pulsating when braking? If that is the case you have a warped rotor.

hippylong
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Are you saying that it is pulsating when braking? If that is the case you have a warped rotor.

agreed..
or theres somthing on the surface of rotor..

JustinCoffman
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:23 PM
some one looking for a good machine shop

JustinCoffman
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:24 PM
someone looking for a good machine shop

up in smoke
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
some one looking for a good machine shop

:pound:

JustinCoffman
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:48 PM
is it surging or is it just brake no brake brake no brake

UFO
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I suppose you could turn the brake rotors, but if they are as bad as you say, your most likely going to have to replace them.

Big Kahuna
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
My buddy in Sacramento resurfaced the rotors on my 900, they turned out great. Let me check and see if he can look at them. You will need to replace the pads after the they are resurfaced, it would be good to replace the brake fliud as well. :)

JustinCoffman
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:29 PM
i f you want a brake inspection ill do it for free iff you come to my shop.

Precision Auto,
dyno tunning
cycles
and customizing
4557 e pine fresno ca
559 454 8217

ask for justin or justin

Phentos
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Yeah pulsating. I figured it would be the rotor ;[

My buddy in Sacramento resurfaced the rotors on my 900, they turned out great. Let me check and see if he can look at them. You will need to replace the pads after the they are resurfaced, it would be good to replace the brake fliud as well. :)

Dangit! Thanks though.

SF Boyz
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I need to either replace or recalibrate my front brake. When I brake with even pressure I get in-and-out braking.

I can deal with it on cars (got plenty of tech knowledge there) but when it comes to bikes I'm retarded.

So anyway, anyone feel up to walking me through it?

yup its for sure the rotors, because when the rotors are in rotation it expands the brakes which then you'll have to pump a few times before it comes into contact with the pads. Thats why it feels like that. Stoppies and rolling stoppies are known for that too in case that is what you do.

Phentos
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
yup its for sure the rotors, because when the rotors are in rotation it expands the brakes which then you'll have to pump a few times before it comes into contact with the pads. Thats why it feels like that. Stoppies and rolling stoppies are known for that too in case that is what you do.

Haha not me my gnarliest trick is a standing no hander lol.

hippylong
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Haha not me my gnarliest trick is a standing no hander lol.

hehe,had a funny pic in mind...
so ,
how much to turn Phento's rotors..
wheel off .. rotors handed to you??
like... a real price and how long to be done?
you offer a lot of cool services.
but ..
no real mention of how much ..
CvR discount.. amt?
I do appreciate the offer of srevices on the site...
and can't wait to support your services ,
as well as all our brothers and sisters here..
lets put that big azz lathe to work..

RC46
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM
You will have to change your roters. You shouldnt have your roters tured on a bike, they dont have as big of a tolerance as car roters do.

hippylong
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I would try turning them first..
they have a lil room to work with..
were talking thousands..
and he thick ole has vented solid rotors...

if out of tolerance after ..
then toss..