PDA

View Full Version : Had a Nasty High side at BW on sat.

Blakester
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I was having a great day, running low 2's, did a 2.146 which is my best time so far. I just finished my session in the A group and we pulled off the track and my buddy tells me lets go back out in B group. There wasn't many people there and we both had Staff stickers, my wife told me that if I was tired I shouldn't go out, but I wasn't, so I thought. Second lap, entering sunset turn(fast 90deg. left entering straight away) my front tire started pushing, no biggie right, then it just stopped and I tucked the front end and over the right front of the bike I go flying like superman. Landed on my head and left shoulder and flipped about 3 times, bad part is that my wife and 10yo daughter watched from the tower. I immediately got up, dazed and confused, signaled in the direction of the tower a thumbs up. I ended walking away with only a minor concussion. I got really lucky, I had been pushing my limits and I guess I exceeded them, I think cause I was alittle tire I had bad body position and I was probaly over the front of the bike alittle too much. My helmet, saved my life for sure, I landed smack on my head. My neck and back are still really sore. Oh and my bike, it has about 1g worth of damage, so I hope to have it back together for the afm races at BW in oct. We'll see.

JonJon
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM
damn man, that sucks! really sorry to hear about that. Glad to see you're ok.

YamiR1
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM
ouuch..yeah, having a good helmet is a good thing! i know that for sure.. glad your all good though.

KAWICRS
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your wreck but at least your able to post about it. Glad your ok.

Devlausdan
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I was having a great day, running low 2's, did a 2.146 which is my best time so far. I just finished my session in the A group and we pulled off the track and my buddy tells me lets go back out in B group. There wasn't many people there and we both had Staff stickers, my wife told me that if I was tired I shouldn't go out, but I wasn't, so I thought. Second lap, entering sunset turn(fast 90deg. left entering straight away) my front tire started pushing, no biggie right, then it just stopped and I tucked the front end and over the right front of the bike I go flying like superman. Landed on my head and left shoulder and flipped about 3 times, bad part is that my wife and 10yo daughter watched from the tower. I immediately got up, dazed and confused, signaled in the direction of the tower a thumbs up. I ended walking away with only a minor concussion. I got really lucky, I had been pushing my limits and I guess I exceeded them, I think cause I was alittle tire I had bad body position and I was probaly over the front of the bike alittle too much. My helmet, saved my life for sure, I landed smack on my head. My neck and back are still really sore. Oh and my bike, it has about 1g worth of damage, so I hope to have it back together for the afm races at BW in oct. We'll see.

You still rock Blakester. Oh, concussions... yeah. I know how that one feels too from a highside myself. I flipped and landed on my back, shoulders and back of head. Imagine having no helmet and landing on the back of your head. Yep, that one's the one that will fu*k you up. Glad, you're still okay.

hippylong
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:52 PM
glad yer ok blakester.
how did you leathers preform..
and your boots...was it the new ones?
also helmet brand..
and was the shell cracked?
i must thank this website and people for posting when this stuff happens.
I am a better clothed rider ..because of you friends..
thanks for posting up and promoting gear wear..

Hipp

Devlausdan
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:17 PM
glad yer ok blakester.
also helmet brand..
I am a better clothed rider ..because of you friends..thanks for posting up and promoting gear wear..

Hipp

yep, same here.

My leathers (scuffed and torn). My skin good.
My boots (scrapped and dirty). My ankle is great. Not twisted.
My helmet (scrapped, scuff, and jacked). My head is still here.

Promote, promote, promote gear wear. This is central cal. Not helmetless Florida cruisers.

Jester
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Glad it was only bike damage B-Man!! Try and see the doc Monday OK and easy on the Ibuprophin until you are sure you are not bleeding inside.

J

Blakester
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM
glad yer ok blakester.
also helmet brand..
I am a better clothed rider ..because of you friends..
thanks for posting up and promoting gear wear..

Hipp

Thanks everyone and my wife is an RN so she is up on my medical care. I don't really take medication, I am just tough like that..LOL

To answer your questions.
Leather did there job and held up great, just a bad scuff on the right shoulder and kinda scuffed all over, I will clean them and access if they are still usuable. I feel that they are, they are a custom suit from ECG.

Yep, the new Oxtar boots, just got them the day before. They did there job but unless a leather shop can fix a seperation at the leather/sole area they are done. Sux, cause they were super comfy.

Scorpion Crack Head helmet, see the irony. Actually, I hit my head really hard, I mean I think I got knocked out but still not sure. It didn't crack but it has a bad gash in it. Definitely would buy another Scorpion.
All in all, I am blessed. I was going probaly around 70-80mph. I hope when I get back out there I am not too gun shy.

aaw749r
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Glad you are OK, sounds like a rough one.

poach
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:57 AM
It happens...

Get back on the horse asap. Even a little street ride/dirtybike ride if you have to...

PRTSMN
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I am glad to see you are okay. A little ruffed up i am sure it could of been worse. Gear does its job!:D

swankster
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I hope you are Ok! but please go see a Quality Doctor. You did mention head and back pain from what sounds like a pretty nasty spill.
Swankster

GSXR888
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Glad to hear your okay Derik. I bet you gave your wife a heart attack when she saw you go flying.

hippylong
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
with derik being so buff.
i wonder if that helped?
i think he would be pretty hard to break..

Blakester
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Glad to hear your okay Derik. I bet you gave your wife a heart attack when she saw you go flying.

My wife sprinted from the tower and almost ran onto the track, my buddy had to tell her not too, she knows better but you know how emotional you can get. Luckily, my daughter was not looking when it happened so she didn't see it go down. I really felt bad that they were there and saw that, my wife seriously thought I was going to be badly injured, she said I just flipped and was thrown like a rag doll.

GSXR888
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
My wife sprinted from the tower and almost ran onto the track, my buddy had to tell her not too, she knows better but you know how emotional you can get. Luckily, my daughter was not looking when it happened so she didn't see it go down. I really felt bad that they were there and saw that, my wife seriously thought I was going to be badly injured, she said I just flipped and was thrown like a rag doll.

YIKES! The first thing my wife would have said to me after she found out I was okay is..."So did you enjoy your LAST track day Ray!?!"

mrlopez
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Well atleast no broken bones like I did,on my high side a while back :)

Blakester
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM
YIKES! The first thing my wife would have said to me after she found out I was okay is..."So did you enjoy your LAST track day Ray!?!"

My wife was hystericaly screaming, "Your Done, your done, no more" Then when I went into the toy hauler to take a shower, I guess she was offering my bike to anyone that would take it, trying to give it away. GOod think no one took her up on it.:rolleyes: Then on the ride home she, told me how she knows how much I enjoy it and that she just was scared and she knows I won't stop riding. I then talked her into letting me charge the parts I need on the credit card so I can have my bike back together in time to the AFM races at buttonwillow in Oct..:D

PRTSMN
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM

:word::iagree: My wife must know your wife....:rolleyes:

Big Kahuna
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
My wife would never have been there. ;)

Sprocket
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Good to hear you're ok. What brand/model suit were you wearing?

hippylong
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
:worthless:
just playin...

Blakester
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Good to hear you're ok. What brand/model suit were you wearing?

It is a custom suit by ECG, it held up and I cleaned it and inspected it today and with minor stitch repair work it is still very usable, thank goodness, don't wanna shell out money for another suit, already gotta buy a helmet and about 1g worth of stuff for my bike.;)

Blakester
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:21 PM
:worthless:
just playin...

Here, this will get you by then I snap some photos, we found my instrument cluster about 50ft away from my bike, the upper stay was destroyed and it unplugged and went flying, oh along with my key it was about 50ft away too, crazy huh? I plugged it back and it works, thank God.:D

yoageallen
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
My wife would never have been there. ;)
Neither would you! Bwa-ha-ha!

Devlausdan
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Neither would you! Bwa-ha-ha!

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

yoageallen
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Glad all is well Derik. Hope you get every thing back together by your next race.

swankster
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:32 PM
It is a custom suit by ECG, it held up and I cleaned it and inspected it today and with minor stitch repair work it is still very usable, thank goodness, don't wanna shell out money for another suit, already gotta buy a helmet and about 1g worth of stuff for my bike.;)

Good for you the Scorpion helmets are inexpensive.
Swankster