PDA

View Full Version : Tracks

Devlausdan
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Other than the pro tracks, is there a track here that's better than the other for us novice? Don't think that I'll ever make it to any Oregan or Arizona tracks.

CALIFORNIA TRACKS:
Buttonwillow Raceway Park (been to)
California Speedway (haven't)
Holtville Aerodrorome International Raceway (never heard of)
Infineon Raceway (pro track, can't go here)
Mazda Laguna Seca (pro track, can't go here)
Thunderhill Raceway Park (been to)
Willow Springs International Motorsports Park (been to Streets of Willow. Would like to go back to the big track Willows Spring)

NEVADA TRACKS:
Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Reno-Fernley Raceway (heard this place is awesome)
Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch
XPlex Las Vegas Racepark

GSXR888
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:24 PM
You can do both Laguna and Infineon even though they are pro tracks. Your doing Infineon with the guys right Dan?

Devlausdan
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:25 PM
You can do both Laguna and Infineon even though they are pro tracks. Your doing Infineon with the guys right Dan?

No stock exhaust pipes.

l8-apex
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Infineon is my favorite.

Thunderhill is very challenging; will teach you a lot.

Willow Springs big track is a must do just for the speed (you'll have a religous experience in turn 8).

Many will dissagree, but I think Laguna is a bit over rated; I like Infineon more.

We are very fortunate to have Buttonwillow so close. Not the best track, but it is technical and you can spend many days trying to find the perfect lap.

GSXR888
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM
No stock exhaust pipes.

Bah, I bet they would let your exaust slide.

ducbill996
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Bah, I bet they would let your exaust slide.

no they won't...

ducbill996
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM
i've only ridden willow's big track track, buttonwillow, and thunderhill, but i would say that willow is the easiest track to ride out of the three...

if your not afraid to go fast...

aaw749r
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
No stock exhaust pipes.

Don't let exhaust stop you from going to Infenion. Borrow somebody's slip on or find a cheap one on Flea-Bay. Does not need to be stock, just more quite than your Racecraft.

103db is annoyingly loud - near painfull - but your Racecraft is louder.

Laguna was great fun, everyone should experience it. But I did battle with the noise police while I was running. Blowing a 95db on a 92db limit. Short shift after turn 5 and dont miss a gear there either. (Don't ask me how I know)

Infenion looks to be better than Laguna, I'll find out next year.

aaw749r
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM
i've only ridden willow's big track track, buttonwillow, and thunderhill, but i would say that willow is the easiest track to ride out of the three...

if your not afraid to go fast...

I'll find out on the 29th!

SF Boyz
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Other than the pro tracks, is there a track here that's better than the other for us novice? Don't think that I'll ever make it to any Oregan or Arizona tracks.

CALIFORNIA TRACKS:
Buttonwillow Raceway Park (been to)
California Speedway (haven't)
Holtville Aerodrorome International Raceway (never heard of)
Infineon Raceway (pro track, can't go here)
Mazda Laguna Seca (pro track, can't go here)
Thunderhill Raceway Park (been to)
Willow Springs International Motorsports Park (been to Streets of Willow. Would like to go back to the big track Willows Spring)

NEVADA TRACKS:
Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Reno-Fernley Raceway (heard this place is awesome)
Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch
XPlex Las Vegas Racepark

sure you can go to all these places, you just have to know the right people. In life it's not what you know---It's who you know!!!!

chromefonica
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM
i'm kinda curious. and i don't know anything about tracks. but how can you not have a stock pipe, but still have a noise limit?

Devlausdan
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
i'm kinda curious. and i don't know anything about tracks. but how can you not have a stock pipe, but still have a noise limit?

Huh???

I don't have stock pipes and the exhaust pipe that I'm running is louder than anything that you've heard so far. It's not an ugly sound. Just wickedly loud with a deafening roar. Especially at 10000-12000 RPM's. I'd be the first one to get kicked off the track.

Now if anyone's got a spare Yoshimura pipe, then that'll work for me since yoshis are quiet pipes.

kidmoua
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I'll go wherever...

LDH
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM
No stock exhaust pipes.

get them on ebay for $20

aaw749r
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM

Laguna Seca has a noise restriction of 93bd and Infenion of 102 db. The city imparts the limit on the track and the track imparts it on the riders. It is not the issue of stock vs aftermarket exhaust, it is the issue of how loud your exhaust (or intake (08 R-6)) is.

There was a guy screaming mad at Laguna when he was flaged off the track with a bone stock brand new 08 R-6. He would set off the db meter approaching the sound controll booth rather than after he passed it like me and half the other riders.

Kyles R6
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
pahrump in nevade

Kyles R6
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM
not just the r6, gixxers and kawis are worse. and its not like the sound booth is stationary like how it use to be....you could short shift and keep the throttle closed a little. now they move around the track

Ciner929
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:48 PM
What about Miller in Utah?

Kyles R6
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:04 PM
thats a good 9-10hr drive each way

Devlausdan
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I'll go wherever...

I'm still game for Reno. You drive.

Devlausdan
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:12 PM
What about Miller in Utah?

That too far for novice me. :D

Devlausdan
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM
pahrump in nevade

Now this is gonna have to be a must someday.

poach
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:12 AM
It's possible the TrackDaz crew wil be descending on Miller some time next year. If you want I can keep y'all posted and we'll learn the track together...

aaw749r
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Yes Please and Thank You

poach
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Will do..

btw..I still have the sidi cert for ya if'n you still want it. Had it in my trk last time I saw ya, but I think the pho interfered with my nueral function....

aaw749r
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Will do..

btw..I still have the sidi cert for ya if'n you still want it. Had it in my trk last time I saw ya, but I think the pho interfered with my nueral function....

Yes Please and Thank You

mnmtriumph
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
http://www.sierrasportbike.com/trackday.html If your intrested in reno this might help thinking about doing it myself. Would be my first track day. still trying to figure out if I should do this or the school at infenion on the 27th. I have to decide by friday.

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:50 AM
It's possible the TrackDaz crew wil be descending on Miller some time next year. If you want I can keep y'all posted and we'll learn the track together...

Put me on the to be notified list! That would be awesome. Plus, it runs counter clockwise! :D

poach
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM
^^joo got it meng...

kidmoua
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Put me on the to be notified list! That would be awesome. Plus, it runs counter clockwise! :D

werd...

that'll be one h3ll of a road trip

poach
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:48 PM
pho realzzzz......

We're debating which track to hit right now. looks like it's either Miller or Parumpicus...

kidmoua
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM
pho realzzzz......

We're debating which track to hit right now. looks like it's either Miller or Parumpicus...

I've heard some good words about Parump..and it aint as far as Miller

poach
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, me too...but dang man, we're talkin' miller here...

Say it with me people....MMMmmmmmmILLER!!!

kidmoua
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah, me too...but dang man, we're talkin' miller here...

Say it with me people....MMMmmmmmmILLER!!!

How long does it take to get there..?

poach
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
12.5 hourrrrrrrrrs...:eek:

kidmoua
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
12.5 hourrrrrrrrrs...:eek:

PASS.....

poach
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Where's your sense of adventure?

kidmoua
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Where's your sense of adventure?

never had it

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM
pho realzzzz......

I've heard some good words about Parump..and it aint as far as Miller

I read that it was pretty bumpy, but other than that it's supposed to be nice.

PASS.....

never had it

Weaksauce. :rolleyes:

kidmoua
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I

bring it bish

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
bring it bish

Pfft.

Calkidd
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I read that it was pretty bumpy, but other than that it's supposed to be nice.

bring it bish

Pfft.
I smell a road trip (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Clovis&1s=CA&2c=Tooele&2s=UT&2a=2901+Sheep+Ln&2z=84074-9100)coming up next year.

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I smell a road trip (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Clovis&1s=CA&2c=Tooele&2s=UT&2a=2901+Sheep+Ln&2z=84074-9100)coming up next year.

Yeah, but Houa wont go.

kidmoua
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Yeah, but Houa wont go.

I said..bring it bish

yoageallen
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
That wouldn't be a road trip. It would be Vacation. Heck, we might as well make it a 2 day track day to make it worth 25 hours of driving. You know what I mean, Chili Bean?

poach
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM
2 days was implied.;)

ti2ttmatt
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Sorry guys... Haven't been here in a while but just a few thoughts.

-Laguna Seca- SUPER STRICT on the noise. Awesome track obviously but they don't have much of a sense of humor about the db's. Keigwin REQUIRES a stock exhaust and the other org's give you a strict, "you get caught and you are out rule."
-Infineon- I don't care how loud your pipe is, if it is a pipe at all and it is not malfunctioning, you will be ok there. In 2 full seasons of AFM and in 5 years of doing trackdays there etc, I have never seen ANYONE get any kind of grief for pipe noise. It truly is a non issue. Incidentally, Infineon is the best track on the West Coast by a LOT. Laguna is cool because it is Laguna but Infineon has beautiful pavement and has a flow like no other. It is a roller coaster with pavement instead of rails.
-Pahrump(Spring Mountain)- Whoever said it was bumpy is misinformed. The pavement there is in wonderful shape, and it is the best jewel of a racetrack that is not in the mainstream! It is a complete blast to ride and I recommend it HIGHLY.
-Buttonwillow- You all know the drill with that place I'm sure. Good track... close to lots of you etc.
-Thunderhill- Awesome track as well... Only potential gripe could be that it is a LOT of lefts and supposedly the new asphalt is eating tires currently as it has not had a chance to get worn in yet. Haven't been there since the repave but the track is Awesome!
-Streets of Willow- Fantastic technical track. Recently repaved a LOT of it, but it still needs a LOT of help on the skidpad area. Hopefully they will be fixing it this year. Great beginner track too as the speeds are never that high.
-Willow Springs- I love this place!! FAST and flowing. Oldest purpose built race course in the country. People seem to be scared of it a little, but it is only as fast as you make it. I argue all the time that while if you are really flying, it is a place that requires some testicular fortitude, it can also be the PERFECT beginner track. Super wide and not very technical!
-Las Vegas Classic- Running an event there this weekend for the first time... Will give a report when I get back. Incidentally still room for both days if anyone feels like road tripping. www.ti2tt.com
-Fonana- Never been here but I hear more often than not, that it is not worth the cost of admission. Big facility=expensive track to rent for the organizer so that trickles down to the customer, but from lot's of folks that I know that have been there, they would rather run 2 days at Buttonwillow or Willow Springs for the cost of their 1 day at Fontana.
-Reno Fernley- About an hour away from my house. Go there all the time and it could be AWESOME!! Unfortunately the pavement never had a chance to really set up before they allowed cars on it and it has screwed it up in some spots. It personally doesn't bother me all that much but that is the number one gripe there. The track is HUGE though and has some really cool elevation changes etc. In it's 4.1 mile config, there are like 30 turns! If you haven't been there and you do go, you will find yourself taking until about lunch time the first day to just remember where you are on the track.

Hope this is helpful!
See you at the track!
Matt

kidmoua
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM
thanks for the info Matt..Bryan, Adrian and I will be at RenoFernley on the 5th..

ti2ttmatt
Sep 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
thanks for the info Matt..Bryan, Adrian and I will be at RenoFernley on the 5th..

Oooh, maybe I'll bring my bike home with me from Vegas this weekend and join you guys... Hmmmm.

kidmoua
Sep 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Oooh, maybe I'll bring my bike home with me from Vegas this weekend and join you guys... Hmmmm.

bring it..we need someone to show us around..It'll be my 2nd time there and it'll be Bryan and Adrians first.

Calkidd
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Oooh, maybe I'll bring my bike home with me from Vegas this weekend and join you guys... Hmmmm.Come on and go Matt would love to ride with you again. I like your positive and up lifting confidence you use to inspire riders like me, unlike another fast rider I know.:rolleyes:

Devlausdan
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Sorry guys... Haven't been here in a while but just a few thoughts.

-Laguna Seca- SUPER STRICT on the noise. Awesome track obviously but they don't have much of a sense of humor about the db's. Keigwin REQUIRES a stock exhaust and the other org's give you a strict, "you get caught and you are out rule."
-Infineon- I don't care how loud your pipe is, if it is a pipe at all and it is not malfunctioning, you will be ok there. In 2 full seasons of AFM and in 5 years of doing trackdays there etc, I have never seen ANYONE get any kind of grief for pipe noise. It truly is a non issue. Incidentally, Infineon is the best track on the West Coast by a LOT. Laguna is cool because it is Laguna but Infineon has beautiful pavement and has a flow like no other. It is a roller coaster with pavement instead of rails.
-Pahrump(Spring Mountain)- Whoever said it was bumpy is misinformed. The pavement there is in wonderful shape, and it is the best jewel of a racetrack that is not in the mainstream! It is a complete blast to ride and I recommend it HIGHLY.
-Buttonwillow- You all know the drill with that place I'm sure. Good track... close to lots of you etc.
-Thunderhill- Awesome track as well... Only potential gripe could be that it is a LOT of lefts and supposedly the new asphalt is eating tires currently as it has not had a chance to get worn in yet. Haven't been there since the repave but the track is Awesome!
-Streets of Willow- Fantastic technical track. Recently repaved a LOT of it, but it still needs a LOT of help on the skidpad area. Hopefully they will be fixing it this year. Great beginner track too as the speeds are never that high.
-Willow Springs- I love this place!! FAST and flowing. Oldest purpose built race course in the country. People seem to be scared of it a little, but it is only as fast as you make it. I argue all the time that while if you are really flying, it is a place that requires some testicular fortitude, it can also be the PERFECT beginner track. Super wide and not very technical!
-Las Vegas Classic- Running an event there this weekend for the first time... Will give a report when I get back. Incidentally still room for both days if anyone feels like road tripping. www.ti2tt.com
-Fonana- Never been here but I hear more often than not, that it is not worth the cost of admission. Big facility=expensive track to rent for the organizer so that trickles down to the customer, but from lot's of folks that I know that have been there, they would rather run 2 days at Buttonwillow or Willow Springs for the cost of their 1 day at Fontana.
-Reno Fernley- About an hour away from my house. Go there all the time and it could be AWESOME!! Unfortunately the pavement never had a chance to really set up before they allowed cars on it and it has screwed it up in some spots. It personally doesn't bother me all that much but that is the number one gripe there. The track is HUGE though and has some really cool elevation changes etc. In it's 4.1 mile config, there are like 30 turns! If you haven't been there and you do go, you will find yourself taking until about lunch time the first day to just remember where you are on the track.

Hope this is helpful!
See you at the track!
Matt

You hear that Lefty? (JJH + Kid)

ti2ttmatt
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM
You hear that Lefty? (JJH + Kid)

Did I touch on a topic that has already been discussed?!

I'll try Bryan... Planning on racing the October round at WSMC and was planning on leaving the bike down there and flying to the race. You know, how us non-sponsored, middle of the pack racers roll flying in and all.:evilgrin0013: Truth of the matter is, that it is almost as cheap to fly Southwest as it is to drive there and back, and a helluva lot less time but since you guys will be up here, maybe I will make that happen. Sierra Sportbike Association day right? I know a bunch of those guys. Would be happy to do some laps with the CVR boys there. I have a TON of laps in around that place and may be able to offer some insight. I also just may know a bar or 2 in Reno to go to afterwards... Just maybe of course.:evilgrin0013:

poach
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I like your positive and up lifting confidence you use to inspire riders like me, unlike another fast rider I know.:rolleyes:

Wow...

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:56 PM

No not really. He's just alluding to my aversion to right hand turns. Ah heck, it's not an aversion really, I just can't go to the right for chit. So a clockwise track is right up my alley.

ti2ttmatt
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
No not really. He's just alluding to my aversion to right hand turns. Ah heck, it's not an aversion really, I just can't go to the right for chit. So a clockwise track is right up my alley.

Everyone has a dominant side. Mine happens to be left too so actively seeking out clockwise tracks is probably one of the best things that you can do. T-hill won't actually help you all that much, but it certainly is fun!!

Wile_E_Coyote
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Everyone has a dominant side. Mine happens to be left too so actively seeking out clockwise tracks is probably one of the best things that you can do. T-hill won't actually help you all that much, but it certainly is fun!!

I wish it were that simple. Maybe I should have used the term mental block. :pound:

ti2ttmatt
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I wish it were that simple. Maybe I should have used the term mental block. :pound:

Ahhh... So it is more of a Zoolander type problem? If you haven't seen the movie, he can't turn one way at all from years of only turning one way on the catwalk.

Same as everything though, practice, practice, practice!!

Calkidd
Sep 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Wow...Still got love for ya bro....

Calkidd
Sep 25th, 2008, 07:14 AM

I'll try Bryan... Planning on racing the October round at WSMC and was planning on leaving the bike down there and flying to the race. You know, how us non-sponsored, middle of the pack racers roll flying in and all.:evilgrin0013: Truth of the matter is, that it is almost as cheap to fly Southwest as it is to drive there and back, and a helluva lot less time but since you guys will be up here, maybe I will make that happen. Sierra Sportbike Association day right? I know a bunch of those guys. Would be happy to do some laps with the CVR boys there. I have a TON of laps in around that place and may be able to offer some insight. I also just may know a bar or 2 in Reno to go to afterwards... Just maybe of course.:evilgrin0013:That would be sweet if you can make it for sure. I am going to take one of your coil packs out so I can keep up this time.