PDA

View Full Version : a little electrical advice

MadKaw
Sep 4th, 2008, 09:26 PM
just because you have 12.85 volts on your battery doesnt mean your battery is good.

My daughter's ZX7 suddenly developed symptoms of having a blown main fuse, or some electrical problem like the keyswitch went bad. I got my meter out, checked the battery and it was 12.85 volts, yet when you turn the keyswitch on the entire bike is DEAD.

So I got the wiring diagram out, traced out the circuits and saw that I had 12.85 all through the bike, except when the keyswitch was turned on. I almost started removing the keyswitch until I checked one more thing.

With the meter across the battery, I turned the keyswitch on - the voltage dropped from 12.85 down to .95 volts. HUGE voltage drop - that battery is wasted! And that's a characteristic of a lead acid battery; they will appear good until you put a load on them.

To make sure, I hooked up the bike to the good old S-10 pickup and it lit up like a Christmas tree. Started right up!

Just passing it on, you may need it some day.

yoageallen
Sep 4th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Good info.

up in smoke
Sep 4th, 2008, 09:29 PM
step 1 check the battery.

hippylong
Sep 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
my only addition is ..
it's ok to use a car or truck to start yer bike.
As Long As The Car or Truck is NOT running .. ONLY....
do not jump bike with running vehicle engine...

madkaw knows and just forgot to type it...specific.

but to stop someone from smoking their ign.
only,(if you have to )
use a car or truck thats the engine is off..

SF Boyz
Sep 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM
my only addition is ..
it's ok to use a car or truck to start yer bike.
As Long As The Car or Truck is NOT running .. ONLY....
do not jump bike with running vehicle engine...

madkaw knows and just forgot to type it...specific.

but to stop someone from smoking their ign.
only,(if you have to )
use a car or truck thats the engine is off..

yup,a vehicle battery has way to much current. you could fry your electrical components. But honestly you could have the car on but once the bike starts take the jumpers off quickly. And yes many many batteries will have good voltage until a load has engaged. Obviously that tells you that the battery is bad. You can also tell by the strong fuel pump when it kicks on.

PRTSMN
Sep 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM
So a charging syastem on a bike is not 14v?

Barney
Sep 5th, 2008, 08:15 AM
A good charging system on a bike will put out 14 volts. The amperage is the difference, the movement of electrons. To much amps = smoke and the smell of burnt plastic!!!

PRTSMN
Sep 5th, 2008, 08:18 AM
A good charging system on a bike will put out 14 volts. The amperage is the difference, the movement of electrons. To much amps = smoke and the smell of burnt plastic!!!

okay, i get it sorry there still to early for me did not even think about the amperage difference;)

Barney
Sep 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM
okay, i get it sorry there still to early for me did not even think about the amperage difference;)

With a name like partsman you need to be ready 24/7 bro. Never know when it might be a customer!:D

MadKaw
Sep 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
gotta love cycle gear brethren full 100% warranty on that 74 dollar battery.

good as new now

Daisy
Sep 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Its the same with any battery. I have a load tester in the tool box for that reason.

Big Kahuna
Sep 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM
You can also tell by the strong fuel pump when it kicks on.If your bike happens to have a fuel pump. ;)