PDA

View Full Version : Proper Gear for Track Question

seansolo
Aug 28th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I am working towards track days by next season and buying gear all the neccessary gear. I was wondering if anyone knew if the Sidi Streetburners were acceptable for track use. These look like boots but are just cut a little lower. I'm trying to make the money go further if I can. The other question would be protection on something like this. I know a full boot is going to offer the best protection but if anyone has any heads up on this boot, that would be cool. Thanks

Blakester
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
They will work,they would look silly with leathers for sure, I would probaly just zip the pants on the outside of the boots, instead of trying to tack them in. They offer ankle protection and good foot protection, at least if I was working grid I would let you on the track. If you don't already own them, then get a actual track boot, the SIdi B2's are good boots and only cost around $200 and offer full protection.

poach
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I am working towards track days by next season and buying gear all the neccessary gear. I was wondering if anyone knew if the Sidi Streetburners were acceptable for track use. These look like boots but are just cut a little lower. I'm trying to make the money go further if I can. The other question would be protection on something like this. I know a full boot is going to offer the best protection but if anyone has any heads up on this boot, that would be cool. Thanks

http://www.motosport.com/street/product/SIDI-STREETBURNER-BOOTS/?psreferrer=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252Fsearch%253Fq%257Cequalto%257Csidi%2Bstreetburner%257Camp%257Crls%257Cequalto%257Ccom.microsoft%253Aen-us%253AIE-SearchBox%257Camp%257Cie%257Cequalto%257CUTF-8%257Camp%257Coe%257Cequalto%257CUTF-8%257Camp%257Csourceid%257Cequalto%257Cie7%257Camp%257Crlz%257Cequalto%257C1I7HPIA&prodId=1175663&CAWELAID=147945882&segment=badger-street

Wow...that's a HUGE linky...

Anyhow, although these wouldn't be my first choice for track use...I doubt any org would disallow them. The 2 glaring disadvantages of this boot are the lack of shin protection, and the possible gap between the leg cuff of your leathers and the top of the boot.

I think if you keep looking, you can find a decent track oriented boot for <$250...

hippylong
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:09 AM
not only do i recommend high boots.
but ,i seriously recommend a boot that has heel protection..
many a friend of mine has damaged their heal on a high side or toss.
make sure you have ones with raised heel protection...
looks like 2 clear loops usually..

seansolo
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys, that is great feedback. I definitely want the best protection when talking track days. I just had sticker shock when I saw some of the Sidi boots up around $400, I about choked. Some of the Alpinestars didn't feel real secure when I tried them on. The Sidi has the tensioning system across the top and back that made for a real sure fit. Thanks again for the heads up. I will check out the B2's. Anyone in town other than Wilson's have the Sidi's to look at??

Sprocket
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I have the Sidi B2's. They are ok, but I wish I would have got the Vertigo Airs instead

http://tinyurl.com/6hw4mt

seansolo
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the info Sprocket. If I'm going to drop this much money I definitely want to do it right. What's another $50 or $100 bucks right....eeesh.

Sprocket
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info Sprocket. If I'm going to drop this much money I definitely want to do it right. What's another $50 or $100 bucks right....eeesh.

Exactly. The Vertigo airs are only 60-65 or so more dollars. I would definitely not get the street burners. You'll regret it if you plan on using them for the track. Those would just look plain silly with a race suit

seansolo
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks again. All info is much appreciated.