PDA

View Full Version : bike prep

Sparrow
Aug 15th, 2008, 05:15 PM
what type of tape should i use for my headlights and gauges? also when i pull the fuse for my headlight my bike does not respond when i try to start it i dont want my lights running under the tape. i also dont want to pull the bulbs cause i dont want the plugs bouncing around in the lenses.

PRTSMN
Aug 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I have some painters tape that is what i see most use a few use duct:rolleyes: tape. Make sure you unplug the lamp or pull the fuse

speedjunkie
Aug 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
ive always used masking tape and just left the lights on. nothing cooks on. the fuse is connected to more than just the headlight. if you really dont want the light on pull the front fairing off and unplug the wire and just zip tie the loose ends to something.

make sure to run water wetter and not anti freeze.

Sparrow
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM
its too late to change to water wetter but y anyways

Calkidd
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Yes for sure you blue painters tape it will come off with no residue. You should have a fuse for lights make sure you a pulling the right fuse. Also make sure you tail light is unplugged or tapped up.

Sparrow
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM
i removed the whole tail light assembly and it is the right fuse thats why its got me confused

speedjunkie
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM
oooooo they are goona frown on that, sure hope they dont check.

if for some reason you crash and break the radiator and glycol antifreeze gets all over the track it will be more slick than oil and harder to clean up also. lots of track down time and lots of angry track day people.

plus it will run cooler.

if they ask just tell them you changed it already

CenCalR6
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM
its too late to change to water wetter but y anyways

Dood, you will ruin a trackday for a lot of people if you bin it and put coolant on the track. Plus, if people are coming thru a turn and can't avoid the water, and go down because you were too lazy to change over. It took me a whole 15 mins.

At CaliSpeedway a guy lost his drain plug and put oil down over half the track. Took them 3 hours to clean that **** up.

Calkidd
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Clay it doesn't take long to drain the radiator. It is that bolt on the lower side of your water pump. If you don't have water wetter then don't worry about it. Go to you local grocery store and buy a couple of gallons of DISTILLED water.

Calkidd
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Dood, you will ruin a trackday for a lot of people if you bin it and put coolant on the track. Plus, if people are coming thru a turn and can't avoid the water, and go down because you were too lazy to change over. It took me a whole 15 mins.

At CaliSpeedway a guy lost his drain plug and put oil down over half the track. Took them 3 hours to clean that **** up.But we are not talking about oil.

It is true, but most track day organizers do not require you change your coolant, but it is suggested.

Sparrow
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM
its not that its hard its easy and dont call me lazy you know nothing about the **** i do. i dont have any water wetter and im nowhere near to get any before anything closes

CenCalR6
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM
But we are not talking about oil.

It is true, but most track day organizers do not require you change your coolant, but it is suggested.

I was using that just as an example of how long it can take to clean it up. Cali Speedway now requires oil plugs and filters to be lockwired. As should be the case with every track org. And coolant should be checked for as well.

Sparrow
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM
and also letsridetrackdays.com says i dont have to change it

CenCalR6
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
We had a coolant spill in Turn 4A at Big Willow. We sat around for an hour waiting.

Sparrow
Aug 15th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks to all who gave productive replys

Calkidd
Aug 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Clay if you are up late tonight don't worry about any additives (WW)....Distilled water will work fine for a track day if you are overly concerned having coolant.

up in smoke
Aug 15th, 2008, 09:05 PM
don't worry about it this time. i bet half the bikes out there have glycol antifreeze in them.:)

SyKoTiK
Aug 16th, 2008, 01:26 AM
its not that its hard its easy and dont call me lazy you know nothing about the **** i do. i dont have any water wetter and im nowhere near to get any before anything closes

damn them is fighting words!:popcorn:

PRTSMN
Aug 16th, 2008, 01:41 AM
damn them is fighting words!:popcorn:

instagator ramzy

SyKoTiK
Aug 16th, 2008, 02:52 AM
haha no i just wanted to use the popcorn smilly:popcorn:

ti2ttmatt
Aug 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM
http://ti2tt.com/?q=node/25

That is pretty much the norm these days, although if I had my druthers, we would all require no coolant like we all used to. Unfortunately, none of the schools were requiring it, so people graduating to trackdays from schools were a bit put off or whatever. Once a few trackday orgs didn't require it, everyone had to follow suit so... It is what it is, but it really is a mess to clean up and everyone recommends it.