PDA

View Full Version : Dual Spoort Heaven

stevelee5
Jul 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Check out the Valley of Central California for some of the best dual sport riding there is.

DSrider.com

We just finished a ride on Saturday up to Dusy Ershim, the rocks were a little too much for us so we went home the long way...... about 300 miles of trails and back roads exploring these great mountains you look at every morning. Come on ands get into those mountains with us........no regrets!

stevelee5
Sep 28th, 2007, 05:27 PM
next ride october 20 2007

mrlopez
Sep 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Wow 5 guys in one bike........lol just kidding, looks like fun may need to try it next time

Shard
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Eh, I don't think I'm gonna be up to par for a while but I hear there's some killer fire roads here.
Any ideas?

WHO_DEY
Dec 13th, 2007, 04:46 PM
dual sport for life! i have a '93 suzuki dr 350s love it, but i heard of the suzuki drz400 supermoto, but i'm a poor college student working only part time. haha. white/blue bike riding around town now i am originally from reedley trying to meet some other riders here in fresno. -ADAM

Calkidd
Dec 15th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Dual sport?......Yeah I like to snow ski and ride my bike...does that count?;)

GreeNug
Dec 16th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Daaaayyymm :D Long live the DR350! Sorry my first motorcyle was a 93 Suzuki DR350 and I still have a soft spot for them. :cool:

MJJ
Dec 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM
We just finished a ride on Saturday up to Dusy Ershim, the rocks were a little too much for us so we went home the long way......

Urffff we tried riding our mountain bikes on that route. DO NOT TRY IT. What a sufferfest that was. We made it about 6 miles along the powdery dirt covering grapefruit sized round rocks, NOT fun on a mountain bike. The jeeps have turned the DG into dust.

Wow 5 guys in one bike....... They look Indonesian, where you will see families of 5 on one moped.

Daaaayyymm :D Long live the DR350! Sorry my first motorcyle was a 93 Suzuki DR350 and I still have a soft spot for them. :cool:

My second bike was a Honda XL250 and I feel the same way about it! Still kinda miss it. It was great getting me through the Philadelphia traffic, into the Pennsylvania hills, plus it ate up the 4-hour freeway commute between Philadelphia and State College.

tr1200
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Bringing this post back to life. I'm new to this forum and a retired road-racer turned dualsport enthusiast. Still have a few roadbikes, but mostly ride a Husaberg FE550E with AZ plates. I've ridden with SteveLee5 and the DSRider guys about a year now and enjoy the Sierra foothils allot. Last ride I did was with Steve, on my 06 fz1 through Fort Hunter-Ligget, down the Fergusson-Nacimiento Rd to PCH. Then it was getting late so down to Cambria - Paso Robles - Leemore at about 130mph. Almost ran up the ass-end of the CHP b4 slowing down south of Fresno.

Always game for a good DS ride. My house is a good staging area (in Miramonte). I've ridden from my place to Courtright reservoir on a green-sticker bike with no hasssles. You gotta love this part of Kali:D!
Tom
WSMC#60 (retired)
2006FZ1
2005FE550E
1996 Daytona1200
1985 RZ350 Kenny Roberts Replica

honard
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Bringing this post back to life. I'm new to this forum and a retired road-racer turned dualsport enthusiast. Still have a few roadbikes, but mostly ride a Husaberg FE550E with AZ plates. I've ridden with SteveLee5 and the DSRider guys about a year now and enjoy the Sierra foothils allot. Last ride I did was with Steve, on my 06 fz1 through Fort Hunter-Ligget, down the Fergusson-Nacimiento Rd to PCH. Then it was getting late so down to Cambria - Paso Robles - Leemore at about 130mph. Almost ran up the ass-end of the CHP b4 slowing down south of Fresno.

Always game for a good DS ride. My house is a good staging area (in Miramonte). I've ridden from my place to Courtright reservoir on a green-sticker bike with no hasssles. You gotta love this part of Kali:D!
Tom
WSMC#60 (retired)
2006FZ1
2005FE550E
1996 Daytona1200
1985 RZ350 Kenny Roberts Replica

Hey Tom, How goes it? I forgot I joined this forum until I got a HAPPY BIRTHDAY email. Looks like your Mojave DS ride is going to be a big hit. See you over at ADVrider too.

Tim

tr1200
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Hey Tim-
Congrats on the new Husqvarna TE510. Are you going to make our Mojave Trail ride April 4,5,6? Saturday the 5th will be the main ride- at least 300 miles of DIRT!
Tom

honard
Mar 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Tom,

Can't make the ride. Other obligations. Maybe when you get back we can get together for another DSRider ride?

Tim

kidmoua
Apr 7th, 2008, 11:44 AM
One of these days I will join you guys.

montibank
Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Ride this weekend.

Info on it can be found here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...49462&page=121

or

Here: http://dsriders.googlepages.com/home

Should be a mostly DS/Knobbies typa ride. Fairly certain taramacter will be there on his supermoto tho. Maybe some other super moto ers would like to give it a go and give him a ridding buddy in case he falls behind?

(Sorry moderator types for the double posts. Humm these are the same group:

http://www.centralvalleyriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2005

and

http://www.centralvalleyriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195

I wonder if one of the Moderators could merge this thread with the other one about www.dsrider.com and change the name for the merged thread to our group name, AKA "Central Valley Dualsport Riders")

Thank you!

Michael

montibank
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Still breathing

Just a bump for this thread. Should be doing some more "official" rides soon, Mojave and Pozo the next two of note, as soon as I get dates/more info I will post them on the calendar here.

I have been riding my arse off, 5k miles on the bike in approx 8.5 months. Maybe that doesnt sound like much to you cruisers or sport bike guys but imagine riding that distance on a 2x4 with .5" of foam covering it and that aught to put it in perspective. For anyone looking for a group this one is alive and well!

~

Michael

montibank
Jun 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Sad really, not many DS'ers here ...

Most of em seem to keep up with one another on advrider.

Either way we are not dead, just send me a PM if you want in on the ride scheduel. I typically post the non-last minute stuff on the calendar. For the drop in stuff you will have to keep yer eyes pealed on the advrider threads.

KK my last bump for this group... I promise.

~

Michael

mrlopez
Jun 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
hey I'm still trying to get mine going hopefully very soon 

montibank
Jun 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
No worries... Trust me I know what its like to have a busted machine... That is where mine seem to be 50% of the time.

What is wrong with it?

~

Michael

mrlopez
Jun 4th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Not much really just a busted fork seal but what I'm doing to it right now it's to put some sumo wheels on it back it's done just need the front now

montibank
Jul 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Nice...

Mine still busted. Actually... I can't take it anymore... Must call mechanic/brother-in-law and ask how far out it I can expect it back.

~

Michael

L2fly
Jul 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Daaang... I just sold my dirt bike... after figuring out my new budget with the new house (put in an offer on a short sale, waiting to hear an answer!) I'd love love love to get a dual sport... any suggestions on what models I should be looking at, for the type of riding around here? I'm thinking a used DRZ400 would be cheap and versatile, but they are so HEAVY to my MX way of thinking...

tr1200
Jul 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM
If a DRZ is "heavy" for your taste, there are lighter plated bikes out there. Typically they require more maintenance. Some to look at are:

1. Husaberg, I'm biased here. My 550 ways 264 pounds- no fuel. Makes mucho horsepower, and it's an 05 and Im on the original top and bottom end.

2. Husqvarna- Love the te510. Haven't owned one, but gotta test ride. Same market category as the Berg.

3. KTM- I've ridden the 525 and 530 and liked both. Both were worked over a bit - suspension/motor. Nice rides but can't hang with a bone-stock Berg.

All 3 of these are considerably lighter rhan the DRZ.
After riding the Rubicon, though, I'm ready for a nice/light/short/torquey Yamaha XT250 or something like that. The Rubicon handed me my ass!

Cheers-
Tom

montibank
Sep 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM
1. Husaberg, I'm biased here. My 550 ways 264 pounds- no fuel. Makes mucho horsepower, and it's an 05 and Im on the original top and bottom end.

2. Husqvarna- Love the te510. Haven't owned one, but gotta test ride. Same market category as the Berg.

3. KTM- I've ridden the 525 and 530 and liked both. Both were worked over a bit - suspension/motor. Nice rides but can't hang with a bone-stock Berg.

Hah! #3 - but true. No fair - you got 40cc more!

There is the aprillas too, but they just seem like a overabundance of power in a really light bike. Before buying anything be realistic with what you intend to do with it. The KTM 530 < KTM 525 for dualsporting - the berg belongs offroad mostly as well, and same with the te510. All are "race" dualsports and not really good for a lot of pavement.

None of those will likely work for you if you are under 5'8" they are all pretty tall.

~

Michael

tr1200
Sep 25th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I'm right at 5-8 and yes, they're tall.

Been reading rave reviews on the 09 te450 Husqvarna. But for me, the next bike will be a 650. Way better on the road and I'll just have to step up my game on the trails. I have no delusions of being an expert "enduro" rider and haven't even come close to fully utilizing the Berg.

Tom